• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why isn't Jo Adell getting more playing time?

Game nine of the season, and Adell has only started two or three of them.

In the limited ABs he's had, he's look solid and like someone who could be ready to break out. His ceiling is way too high to ride the bench 75% of the time.

What gives? With the likes of Hicks, Sano, and Moniak getting more starts than Adell, you have to wonder if there's something else going on.

I think originally, the idea was to platoon Moniak and Adell based on pitcher handedness. With Hicks and Sano making the roster, this takes away the ABs Adell would have gotten against lefties and clogs up the DH even more since Sano isn't great in the field. I agree that it feels like a waste letting him sit on the bench as much as he had to start the season.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Game nine of the season, and Adell has only started two or three of them.

In the limited ABs he's had, he's look solid and like someone who could be ready to break out. His ceiling is way too high to ride the bench 75% of the time.

What gives? With the likes of Hicks, Sano, and Moniak getting more starts than Adell, you have to wonder if there's something else going on.

It seems a little counterintuitive but it makes sense to give Sano and Hicks initial playing time. If they have anything left in the tank still, it will help the Angels slim competition hopes if they’re performing and the team is deeper, and it musters up a little trade value for them.

If both are sucking after 100-150 PA come late April or early May, easy to cut them and give that playing time to kids. Plenty of runway left for Adell, Moniak, etc. from that point on still.

Same for Cisnero, Garcia, Cimber over Joyce, Mederos, etc.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

It seems a little counterintuitive but it makes sense to give Sano and Hicks initial playing time. If they have anything left in the tank still, it will help the Angels slim competition hopes if they’re performing and the team is deeper, and it musters up a little trade value for them.

If both are sucking after 100-150 PA come late April or early May, easy to cut them and give that playing time to kids. Plenty of runway left for Adell, Moniak, etc. from that point on still.

Same for Cisnero, Garcia, Cimber over Joyce, Mederos, etc.

Sano's peripherals this year are very similar to where they were when he hit 34 bombs in Minn.  Dude has been extremely unlucky but if he keeps doing what he has been he's going to have a much better year than anyone believed he would.

His Baseball Savant data is nuts.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/miguel-sano-593934?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

3 hours ago, BTH said:

The last thing I’m worried about is getting guys playing time.

If Adell is healthy the entire season and only has 200 PAs or whatever at season end, then we can talk.

Guys will get injured or struggle, and everyone will get plenty of playing time.

Seriously. 

if the Angels get through the season and a healthy Jo Adell has been on the bench the whole time that would mean everyone else is healthy and performing well, which would be a problem the Angels haven’t had lately. 

3 hours ago, BTH said:

The last thing I’m worried about is getting guys playing time.

If Adell is healthy the entire season and only has 200 PAs or whatever at season end, then we can talk.

Guys will get injured or struggle, and everyone will get plenty of playing time.

At least your no longer criticizing managers anymore.   

I think RW wants Adell and Moniak to feel like they have to earn playing time and that it won't be just handed to them. Hicks is making this easier with every game.

I think it's the right approach assuming they both get 300-400 AB this year. This strategy could backfire with both JA and MM being out of options, but I think it's going to work out, and sooner than later.

9 hours ago, REDneck said:

I think RW wants Adell and Moniak to feel like they have to earn playing time and that it won't be just handed to them. Hicks is making this easier with every game.

I think it's the right approach assuming they both get 300-400 AB this year. This strategy could backfire with both JA and MM being out of options, but I think it's going to work out, and sooner than later.

Why does Adell have to "earn" playing time while Hicks and Sano just get it automatically? Both those guys' glory days are long in the past. Sano didn't play at all last season and the Yankees dumped Hicks.

18 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Why does Adell have to "earn" playing time while Hicks and Sano just get it automatically? Both those guys' glory days are long in the past. Sano didn't play at all last season and the Yankees dumped Hicks.

You never have any problem imagining things, so try imagining this.

MAYBE Washington wants something more out of the development in Adell and Moniak and wants them to work harder, be more hungry, be more disciplined, and more committed to elevating their game, and he is putting a reachable target in front of them in Hicks who maybe carries himself the way Washington wants Adell to carry himself?  Maybe?

I really wonder if you are capable of accepting that what I wrote above is JUST AS LIKELY as you imaging that Wash has something personal against Adell?

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

You never have any problem imaging things, so try imaging this.

MAYBE Washington wants something more out of the development in Adell and Moniak and wants them to work harder, be more hungry, be more disciplined, and more committed to elevating their game, and he is putting a reachable target in front of them in Hicks who maybe carries himself the way Washington wants Adell to carry himself?  Maybe?

I really wonder if you are capable of accepting that what I wrote above is JUST AS LIKELY as you imaging that Wash has something personal against Adell?

My thread title was hyperbolic. Clickbait. I don't actually think Washington has something personal against Adell.

• Taylor changed the title to Why isn't Jo Adell getting more playing time?
6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

My thread title was hyperbolic. Clickbait. I don't actually think Washington has something personal against Adell.

Yeah, but come on Taylor.  It didn’t take long for you to end up talking about a BLM shirt.

You have made it very easy to view your takes as a bit contaminated by your way of thinking.

Edited by Dtwncbad