• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Opening Day Last Night

Just my observations from last nights game. 

Fly overs are always great.  National anthem with the giant flag is always emotional.  

The crowd last night was LOUD, like playoff atmosphere loud.  

The fans cheered and boo’d when it felt appropriate. Lots of times when the stadium is full it feels like half the crowd doesn’t know what is going on in the game, last night felt like everyone was into it. 

Rendon was boo’d, Ohtani on the video board was boo’d (which surprised me) Arte on the video board was boo’d, when they announced Joey Cora he was boo’d.  

The cheers came when guys got hits or worked walks, but the volume was just different than it has been in quite some time.  

Rendon standing ovation, wasn’t really a thing.  One guy behind me stood and cheered him. I think things like that are stupid, regardless of the player. I did however give Trout a standing O as well as Weaver coming out for his first pitch, oh and the 102 year old veteran they recognized in between innings. 

Boston had three hit by pitches and one certainly felt like he swung at the pitch from where I was sitting, but the third base ump gave the safe sign.  It felt like two of the guys that got hit took forever to “shake it off” so they could get playing again.  

It was my first time up in the 400 section in a few years, they have added a ton of beer can stands, which makes the wait times less (I’d imagine) but it makes it more crowded as you are trying to walk around up there getting to your seats.  Any renovation feels like it needs more restrooms. Also where I was at, I didn’t see TVs up by the concessions so you can keep up on the game when standing in long lines.  

Lastly, fuck Boston.  

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Boston had three hit by pitches and one certainly felt like he swung at the pitch from where I was sitting, but the third base ump gave the safe sign.

Yup.

Your eyes were better from the 400 level than the guy who was standing right next to the batter or the guy 90 feet from the batter.

IMG_3138.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Fly overs are always great.  National anthem with the giant flag is always emotional.  

The fans cheered and boo’d when it felt appropriate. Lots of times when the stadium is full it feels like half the crowd doesn’t know what is going on in the game, last night felt like everyone was into it. 

Rendon was boo’d, Ohtani on the video board was boo’d (which surprised me) Arte on the video board was boo’d, when they announced Joey Cora he was boo’d.  

The cheers came when guys got hits or worked walks, but the volume was just different than it has been in quite some time.  

Rendon standing ovation, wasn’t really a thing.  One guy behind me stood and cheered him. I think things like that are stupid, regardless of the player. I did however give Trout a standing O as well as Weaver coming out for his first pitch, oh and the 102 year old veteran they recognized in between innings. 

Boston had three hit by pitches and one certainly felt like he swung at the pitch from where I was sitting, but the third base ump gave the safe sign.  It felt like two of the guys that got hit took forever to “shake it off” so they could get playing again.  

It was my first time up in the 400 section in a few years, they have added a ton of beer can stands, which makes the wait times less (I’d imagine) but it makes it more crowded as you are trying to walk around up there getting to your seats.  Any renovation feels like it needs more restrooms. Also where I was at, I didn’t see TVs up by the concessions so you can keep up on the game when standing in long lines.  

Lastly, fuck Boston.  

Great write up @Stradling.  I echo those sentiments.  I’ll say this, it was quite cold last night.  One of the colder games I’ve been to in over 20 years.  It was post-storm, clear sky cold, which may, or may not have affected some players.

I don’t have a sight line from my seats, but a lot of pitches seem borderline.  Not sure if the plate ump wasn’t giving pitches on the black or not, just saying that close pitches didn’t seem to get called.  Maybe on TV, they were more off the plate than live.

And yeah, there were a few, loud chowderheads in my section that probably had 10 too many Sam Adams left over Winterfest beers to their heads.

Tool boxes.

5 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

Not sure if the plate ump wasn’t giving pitches on the black or not

He wasn't. But to be fair he wasn't for the Red Sox pitchers either. 

Canning's and Soriano's pitches were in most hitters wheelhouses. Their command was way off but I think it was the cold weather. 

The difference between Crawford and Canning is Crawford hides the ball longer before it's released out of his hand so it takes longer for the hitter to pick the ball up. Which is why the Angels were swing and missing on so many pitches the first four innings of the game. 

Only player that was locked in was O'Hoppe who was robbed of a hit up the middle by Story early on. 

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Only player that was locked in was O'Hoppe who was robbed of a hit up the middle by Story early on. 

Washington is batting him 8th and Rendon leadoff. Something needs to change. Schanuel needs to move back to leadoff, Ward 2nd, Trout 3rd, O'Hoppe 4th, who gives a crap from 5th-9th. 

Slightly off topic but will any of you AW peeps be at the game on Sunday?  1pm start.

Just throwing it out there.  Grandkids are walking the field as part of their District Little League if someone wants to grab a beer.

I’ll grab the first round.

Edited by PattyD22

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

One more thing, very few Boston fans, which is always a good thing.  

That had to be the least amount of Sox fans I have ever seen or heard at an Angel game. Probably a combination of the state of the team combined with Angel season ticket holders not giving up their seats for the home opener.

It was a chilly night, but the crowd was good and like others have said, not too many Sox fans.

I will say the scoreboards are a little too busy for me and hard to get used to. 

Getting out of the parking lot was the worst I've experienced in some time and the way they routed traffic  before and after the game made it difficult.  Very unusual.

We brought our own food in, so I didn't try the concessions. 

It was a long night too... probably because of the pregame stuff and the 3 injuries. 

Other than the outcome, it was a nice night at the park.

I wonder if Arte was in attendance. 

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

Lastly, fuck Boston.  

Good thoughts and observations, Strad.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:29 AM, Chuck said:

I'd like @James and @Brian Ilten to weigh in on the beer choices and concessions. 🙂 

I didn't get food so I can't speak on that side of the concessions. Lines seemed long and normal for an opening day from what I saw. Beer selection throughout the stadium still lacked quality draft craft beer. I would like to see better support of the local Anaheim/Orange breweries. San Diego does this with wheeled carts where they have about 6 to 8 local breweries pouring side by side. Most tap out early, that's fine! I utilized the markets since the draft wasn't great. Local cans were limited to Brewery X Halo Light and their IPA. For stadium beers, not terrible just lacks "diversity" and the same as last year overall. The Halos can do much better with supporting their local business and creating those partnerships.  

My 8-year-old will rave about the Chocolate Chip cookie bucket. It's the kid's version of Helmet Nachos. 

Edited by James

1 hour ago, James said:

I didn't get food so I can't speak on that side of the concessions. Lines seemed long and normal for an opening day from what I saw. Beer selection throughout the stadium still lacked quality draft craft beer. I would like to see better support of the local Anaheim/Orange breweries. San Diego does this with wheeled carts where they have about 6 to 8 local breweries pouring side by side. Most tap out early, that's fine! I utilized the markets since the draft wasn't great. Local cans were limited to Brewery X Halo Light and their IPA. For stadium beers, not terrible just lacks "diversity" and the same as last year overall. The Halos can do much with supporting their local business and create those partnerships.  

My 8-year-old will rave about the Chocolate Chip cookie bucket. It's the kid's version of Helmet Nachos. 

Angels.com is your place to let them know @James.

Do you get these surveys after attending games?  Great suggestions.  Let them know.

IMG_3271.png

The Angels also paid tribute to many who were associated with baseball in some capacity that passed away over the past year.  It was a nice tribute.

27 minutes ago, katie said:

We got hot dogs. They were cold. And there were no napkins anywhere. 

3 hours ago, PattyD22 said:

Angels.com is your place to let them know @James.

Do you get these surveys after attending games?  Great suggestions.  Let them know.

IMG_3271.png

You buy your tickets through the Angels?

Bruce Campbell Hello GIF