• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (3/11/24): Rangers @ Angels: Sandoval starting

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

When I think about the last few years, I think about how much pressure the Angels have been under to compete for Trout and Ohtani, and how it's affected their decisions from the FO to the manager to the players on the field, and I think one of the players who have internalized this the most is Patrick Sandoval. I think he's a good pitcher, but I think he's got into his head he needs to be the ace or dominant #2 to help see this team through. I appreciate that. I appreciate the competitiveness, the effort, the heart. But I think he's backed himself into a corner where he puts an unrealistic amount of pressure on himself to be something he cannot be, and even though the expectations have changed and Ohtani is gone, the Halos haven't brought in anyone ahead of him for the rotation. I see him right back where he's been the last few years. He is going to get himself hurt or continue to implode because he's expecting results he doesn't have the ability to deliver. 

If you had moved him for someone like Jordan Westburg and he was slotting into a team that was already competitive and had a trio of better arms above him and around him, I think it would do him good to pitch more to what he is and will be, and less to something he wants to be, or less of something the Angels hope he will be. If he is on a smart team with pitching depth, a place where he can top out at 4 1/3 innings or 20 GS/120 IP and be a big part of a team's success, an acquiring team will have interest in him, and the Angels can get a young bat with more club control than Sandy has, and it'll be better for him maxing out his true ceiling rather than trying to do more than that here.

Maybe that makes my stance a little more clear. 

I also mention Westburg because he sort of reminds me of Drury. Some swing-and-miss concerns, defensive question marks, but has some pop and positional versatility. Orioles are stacked and could lose him without hurting them.

Westberg is intriguing.   Solid enough rookie year numbers over 228 PAs and showed solid enough defense (0.4 dWAR and only 1 error), could be 2B or 3B insurance for the future.   Can run a little too.

Edited by Angel Oracle

10 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Marisnick takes a Texas Leaguer deep. He wants that 5th OF job.

I don't see how he makes the team unless Hicks gets hurt.  Despite his hot spring, he's historically a pretty terrible hitter, so you wouldn't really want him getting any ABs as a DH.  It's unlikely they'd carry a 5th OF for defense purposes only.

45 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I like to Win! The difference is SPT if you don't Win its because you're working on something.

Today Sandavol worked on not throwing consistent strikes. AGAIN!

I think that's something he has down pat. He doesn't need any more work in that area.

38 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

Oh well. The Cactus League gives the Angels a day off Tuesday. I'm sure they'll find a winning rhythm eventually.

The Angels are 11-7. They are second to the Dodgers in total wins. 

As far as Sandoval goes, he isn't going to be a great pitcher. If you view him as a #4 or #5 type guy then he has good value. Trading him when you don't have better options is rather silly. 

Anyone else watching MLB Network's 30 clubs Angels edition right now? I know hope springs eternal in spring training but really like Washington's energy when being interviewed. Also being interviewed have been Detmers, Schanuel and O'Hoppe. Chris Young (our former outfielder for a short time) is predicting 80 wins. I'm hoping for more than 80 obviously but kind of fun to watch and has me excited for the season.

18 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Adell's defense sure doesn't seem all that much better than when he first came up.

Let me first say I want Adell to be good, you can see the athleticism, he just can't seem to harness it. Adell playing well would be an amazing gift for this team. 

But, if this is what Adell looks like "fighting for a job" I sure don't need to see anymore of what he looks like when "he has the job."

Didn't we go through this "give him the position" a couple years ago to start the season? Dude is downright clueless in the field, and he's a headcase in the batters box. 

17 hours ago, Halo in Chicago said:

I like Sandoval. I want him to succeed in Anaheim, but man is he frustrating… 

Same. 

It's like he doesn't trust his stuff, tries to pitch around batters which results in walks, driving up his pitch count, then gives up crappy droopy basehits that fall in for runs.

He just needs to attack the plate, trust his stuff, let the batters get themselves out, and accept when they inevitably take advantage of his mistakes, which will happen much less often than I think he believes.