• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Votto?

I'm tired of seeing players come to the Angels after spending their most productive years in another organization. The list is long...

Can Votto actually mentor enough of the young players to turn them into better players?  Just because he helped one guy (that we know of) doesn't mean he can help others.  Maybe he can.  Maybe he can't.  But do the Angels really want to use a roster spot to find out?  I'm guessing J.D. Martinez could have a similar impact and he's more likely to have a productive season.  Not that I even want the Angels to sign JDM.

There isn't a magic bullet that's going to transform this organization.

The Angels need to find a more permanent solution for developing their own players.   

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

I'm tired of seeing players come to the Angels after spending their most productive years in another organization. The list is long...

Can Votto actually mentor enough of the young players to turn them into better players?  Just because he helped one guy (that we know of) doesn't mean he can help others.  Maybe he can.  Maybe he can't.  But do the Angels really want to use a roster spot to find out?  I'm guessing J.D. Martinez could have a similar impact and he's more likely to have a productive season.  Not that I even want the Angels to sign JDM.

The Angels need to find a more permanent solution for developing their own players.   

Agreed.  Also, just a side note on Will Benson, the Reds guy who supposedly benefited from Votto's help: he had a .391 (!!!!) BABIP last season.  His hard-hit % and other metrics were pretty good, but still...a .391 BABIP simply isn't repeatable, so we'll probably see some regression from him this season.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dead serious -- if they think he's all that, like they thought Suzuki was, offer him a coaching job.  Get someone ready to take over for Washington if you think he's that sort of a mentor type...

I'm sure if Votto was willing to entertain coaching positions, they'd be discussing those just as much. Maybe they have and that's the interest being reported. But if the player isn't ready, or believes he can still contribute (and I don't really think it's out of the question, but agree he's probably washed) they can't force him into coaching....and I think it all gets back to whether or not the Angels privately intend to compete. I don't think they do. And in that case, what's the harm? It generates interest in the casual baseball fan too.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

If they were currently built to win 85-90 games or were in the AL Central, it's an easy no, but I don't think a roster spot and 200-300 PAs on a 4th place team is too much to 'waste' and if he does happen to help a young guy along the way, maybe it's worth it. 

Also, lol, you know Arte would have him on a banner out front.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Also, lol, you know Arte would have him on a banner out front.

Maybe, but I can't imagine any fans really giving a shit, tbh.  Unless you're a Votto family member or a recent Ohio transplant, why would you go out of your way to go to an Angels game to see a 40-year-old Votto if you weren't already a fan who attended at least a few games a year? 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

if you weren't already a fan who attended at least a few games a year? 

those are the type of fans who may have been coming just to see Ohtani and now thinking they'll skip, or consider Dodgers games instead, and may be the same fans who would read an article from an email in their inbox from Rhett Bollinger about signing future HOFer Joey Votto and think "hell yeah we're back"

It wouldn't be about drawing new fans, it'd be about getting the ones who are on the fringes paying $$$.

Lotta dumb baseball fans out there. We're a unique breed on this board.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

those are the type of fans who may have been coming just to see Ohtani and now thinking they'll skip, or consider Dodgers games instead, and may be the same fans who would read an article from an email in their inbox from Rhett Bollinger about signing future HOFer Joey Votto and think "hell yeah we're back"

It wouldn't be about drawing new fans, it'd be about getting the ones who are on the fringes paying $$$.

Lotta dumb baseball fans out there. We're a unique breed on this board.

I just do not see anyone, even a "dumb baseball fan" to use your term, being convinced that Votto is worth watching.

29 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I just do not see anyone, even a "dumb baseball fan" to use your term, being convinced that Votto is worth watching.

Lot of people go to games just as an outing. With friends or family to watch a game and many do not know half of players on Angels. Many fans go to watch visiting teams play. Fans are not to games to see Joey Votto, Neto, Moniak or most halo players. 

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

Lot of people go to games just as an outing. With friends or family to watch a game and many do not know half of players on Angels. Many fans go to watch visiting teams play. Fans are not to games to see Joey Votto, Neto, Moniak or most halo players. 

So...you're agreeing with me that he will have zero impact on ticket sales?  Or no?  Always hard to tell with you.

36 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Nobody worth coming out to watch. Not even Trout. 

Mike Trout yes when he plays. He is a great hitter one of best in the game. Trout not a gold glove CF anymore and he does not steal bases like his younger years. I hope he stays healthy but not much protection in lineup for him. 

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Mike Trout yes when he plays. He is a great hitter one of best in the game. Trout not a gold glove CF anymore and he does not steal bases like his younger years. I hope he stays healthy but not much protection in lineup for him. 

He had Ohtani last year.  He was whiffing at fastballs. Sad to watch. 

On 1/30/2024 at 12:25 PM, T.G. said:

This! We have gone down the mentor-with-an-old-washed up, at-the-end-of-his-career player many times, most of which failed. The man is 40-years old. This is why teams have coaches, to do the mentoring while not taking up a roster spot.