• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels and Cody Bellinger

CartiHalos

19 hours ago, CartiHalos said:

He mentions "Bellinger would give the Angels an option to cover center field if Mike Trout needs any time on the injured list" and that Bellinger is "also a marquee name who starred in LA, which could appeal to owner Arte Moreno."

To me that just sounds like sloppy seconds. Which we all know Arte LOVES. 

I like Bellinger, just fear the price is a bit too high for him.

How valid is the “he is a five inning pitcher” criticism?

He made 32 starts and pitched 180 innings.

5.625 innings per starts isn’t exactly five innings.  It’s much closer to 6.

Five guys logged 200 innings last year.

200 innings in 33/34 starts is 5.9 innings per start. (200 divided by 33.5)

So are we really going to discredit Snell for his average per start being literally 1 fewer out per start than what we consider the top-tier level of innings pitched?

We all love the idea of an 8 inning a game workhorse, but that really doesn’t exist anymore with how pitchers are handled and the statistical analysis of getting your starter put before they face hitters a third time.

I am just not convinced Snell’s 5.625 innings per start is really a negative reflection on him personally when you consider innings per game of guys throwing 200 innings and also when you consider how the game is managed today.

23 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

5 players making 15 a year. Garver, Hicks, Clevenger, Manea, Stroman save some money for next year

Hicks and Clevenger are not worth $15 million a season.

Hicks is not a dominant for a few years closer.

Clevenger can’t stay healthy enough, never exceeding 24 starts the past few years.

Edited by Angel Oracle

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

How valid is the “he is a five inning pitcher” criticism?

He made 32 starts and pitched 180 innings.

5.625 innings per starts isn’t exactly five innings.  It’s much closer to 6.

Five guys logged 200 innings last year.

200 innings in 33/34 starts is 5.9 innings per start. (200 divided by 33.5)

So are we really going to discredit Snell for his average per start being literally 1 fewer out per start than what we consider the top-tier level of innings pitched?

We all love the idea of an 8 inning a game workhorse, but that really doesn’t exist anymore with how pitchers are handled and the statistical analysis of getting your starter put before they face hitters a third time.

I am just not convinced Snell’s 5.625 innings per start is really a negative reflection on him personally when you consider innings per game of guys throwing 200 innings and also when you consider how the game is managed today.

2023 is an outlier going back to 2019, innings wise.

If it wasn’t, I’d be thinking differently.

Edited by Angel Oracle

20 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Bellinger getting 200 mill here are players I add instead Garver 40 mill 3 years, Hicks 36 for 3 years, Clevenger 24 mill 2 years, Belt 7 mill 1 year, Anderson 7 mill 1 year, Stroman 60 mill 3 years. This adds depth and starters plus BP piece. You can find many combination for 200 mill. 

Ok, so sign Garvey this year, Hicks in 3 years, Clevinger in 6 years, Stroman in 9 years?  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Oh so you thought Bellinger was getting the $200 million over 3-4 years?  I think we all assumed it would be for 8-10 years. 

I just want to see the list of players he suggests the Dodgers should have signed for 2024 for $700m instead of Ohtani.

38 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Bellinger getting 200 mill here are players I add instead Garver 40 mill 3 years, Hicks 36 for 3 years, Clevenger 24 mill 2 years, Belt 7 mill 1 year, Anderson 7 mill 1 year, Stroman 60 mill 3 years. This adds depth and starters plus BP piece. You can find many combination for 200 mill. 

This is actually not bad. I would pass on Stroman, but the other moves make sense if the team wants to try and compete in the short term without destroying future flexibility. 

Stroman seems like fools gold to me.

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, so then I guess he won’t be giving 5-7 guys $15 million this year, like you suggested.  

Know that still a plan but not all get 15 mill a year most a lot less. My plan fills many holes for halos Bellinger just adds another bad contract. With this depth you can trade Drury and Carlos E for young pitching prospects. Hopefully someday Angels can get to 500 and just maybe a playoff spot. Instead of all baseball season hoping Dodgers lose in first round.

13 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Know that still a plan but not all get 15 mill a year most a lot less. My plan fills many holes for halos Bellinger just adds another bad contract. With this depth you can trade Drury and Carlos E for young pitching prospects. Hopefully someday Angels can get to 500 and just maybe a playoff spot. Instead of all baseball season hoping Dodgers lose in first round.

Yes, but your plan and comparing it to the $200 million that Belinger is getting paid ignores the year to year budget.  You can’t simply say, “take the $200 million you were going to give to Belinger and spend $200 million on these guys who will have 3 year deals”.  One costs you $20-25 million annually, while the other is $65-70 million a year.