• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

58 minutes ago, EdmontonAngelsFan said:

Heyman live show he weekly recap

-Said the Angels and Snell make too much sense to him but all up to Arte

-Also said we are in on Montgomery but he's the Rangers to lose

I believe Heyman also said the Angels are interested in Matt Chapman too. 

50 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

Considering we just heard Reid Detmers talk yesterday about how he thinks the Angels going back to a 5 man rotation would benefit them all, Snell doesn’t make sense unless we trade a starter away. They aren’t going to pay Anderson 13 million to be a long reliever.

Snell

Sandoval

Detmers

Silseth

Canning 

Anderson

Someone has to go first 

Why would someone go first? Even if this was the case, you should make the signing first. 

1 hour ago, Ochocinco! said:

Considering we just heard Reid Detmers talk yesterday about how he thinks the Angels going back to a 5 man rotation would benefit them all, Snell doesn’t make sense unless we trade a starter away. They aren’t going to pay Anderson 13 million to be a long reliever.

Snell

Sandoval

Detmers

Silseth

Canning 

Anderson

Someone has to go first 

In your scenario, the simplest solution is to have Silseth serve as a long man.  Its not like he's established himself as a legit starter, if anything he's a question mark as a 40/40 pitcher.  Historically guys with hard hit rates over 40% and GB rates over 40% tend to see regression.  It's a little murkier with him because he basically had two seasons, it seemed like something clicked, but he still gave up a ton of hard contact.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

In your scenario, the simplest solution is to have Silseth serve as a long man.  Its not like he's established himself as a legit starter, if anything he's a question mark as a 40/40 pitcher.  Historically guys with hard hit rates over 40% and GB rates over 40% tend to see regression.  It's a little murkier with him because he basically had two seasons, it seemed like something clicked, but he still gave up a ton of hard contact.

Not sure how we got from "we need two starters" to "we have no room because we're forcing Silseth into the rotation". I know a lot of people want to trade Anderson, but I'm more inclined to let the new pitching coach work with him since the dude himself said the Angels had him change his pitching approach last season. Going away from what was working is kind of a dumb idea imo. 

45 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I believe Heyman also said the Angels are interested in Matt Chapman too. 

Then what do you do with Rendon?  A large portion of Chapman's value comes from his defense at 3B, so if you're signing him to a (presumably) long-term, pricey deal, you're going to want him to maximize his value.  But then do you just make Rendon the full-time DH?  Or give him some time at 1B?

Doesn't seem like a smart move.

14 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Not sure how we got from "we need two starters" to "we have no room because we're forcing Silseth into the rotation". I know a lot of people want to trade Anderson, but I'm more inclined to let the new pitching coach work with him since the dude himself said the Angels had him change his pitching approach last season. Going away from what was working is kind of a dumb idea imo. 

I've heard we're actually better without Ohtani because we don't have a six man rotation anymore. 

39 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I've heard we're actually better without Ohtani because we don't have a six man rotation anymore. 

No you haven’t. But we very well could see better more consistent performance from the rotation. Most were much better in 2022 and they are all still young. 

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

@jsnpritchett what happens to a team that signs two players with QO attached?  They lose their 2nd pick and what else?

As with everything involving MLB, the answer is complicated and depends on the financial status of the team: 

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/qualifying-offer

If we're talking about the Angels specifically, this portion of the rules would apply: 

"All other teams: If a team does not receive revenue sharing and did not exceed the CBT salary threshold in the previous season, it will lose its second-highest selection in the following year's Draft, as well as $500,000 from its international bonus pool for the upcoming signing period. If one of these teams signs two such players, it will also forfeit its third-highest pick and an additional $500,000.

Examples: A team with one pick in each round of the MLB Draft would lose its second-round pick. A team with two first-round picks would lose its second-highest first round-pick.

(Note: Each pick in the first 10 rounds of the Draft has an assigned value, and the total for each of a club's selections equals what it can spend on signing bonuses for players selected in those rounds without incurring a penalty. When a team forfeits a Draft pick, it also surrenders the accompanying bonus pool money associated that pick, independent from any money forfeited from its international bonus pool per the rules below.)"

EDIT: So that would mean if the Angels signed two guys who rejected qualifying offers, they would lose their 2nd round pick and their pick they gained for losing Ohtani (somewhere in the low 70s), plus the slot value for those picks, plus $1M in international signing money next year. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

35 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Lou and cals had such an irrationally hateful reaction to Ty Buttrey making a personal career decision. It was odd.

it was irrationally hateful because they disagreed with the notion that he sat on a beach in the lotus position and found spiritual enlightenment?  

didn't actually strengthen his position that claimed of never really loving it and doing it for others when he cam back in short order.  

not everyone makes major life decisions based on a period of thoughtful self evaluation even if they claim to.  And even if they do, there's certainly some irony in sharing that on twitter.  

17 hours ago, Stradling said:

No you haven’t. But we very well could see better more consistent performance from the rotation. Most were much better in 2022 and they are all still young. 

Yes I have heard that argument. 

How in the world you think you would know what I've heard or read is insanely ridiculous. 

13 minutes ago, mmc said:

Wow, had honestly kind of forgotten about him.  That extension he got was a bust, huh? Guess it wasn't for a crazy amount, but the dude has negative career WAR.  Awful defensively and other than one season, not very good offensively, either.  He's still owed $9M this year, but thankfully the Royals are on the hook for all of that other than league minimum if he somehow manages to make the Angels roster.