• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Our new DH

AngelStew43

37 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Trout getting more reps at DH would be a big mistake. He can't hit when he's a DH. 

It's something to keep an eye on, but just because he wasn't good DHing in his 20s doesn't mean he's going to be bad DHing in his 30's. I would not be surprised if many superstars experienced similar splits early in their careers versus later on. 

I think he should start spending time in one of the corners this year though. Moniak's CF defense seemed pretty solid.

Edited by totdprods

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It's something to keep an eye on, but just because he wasn't good DHing in his 20s doesn't mean he's going to be bad DHing in his 30's. I would not be surprised if many superstars experienced similar splits early in their careers versus later on. 

I think he should start spending time in one of the corners this year though. Moniak's CF defense seemed pretty solid.

I wouldn't think much of it except that he has never had a season where he bats well at DH. It's starting to feel like a pattern to me - like he just doesn't play as well when he's sitting on the bench half the time. Could it change? Sure. Kershaw was a playoff ghost...until one year he wasn't. But personally, I'm not at all eager to pencil Trout in for significantly more DH days until he starts hitting in that spot. 

This.  Trout to LF, Moniak in CF, Ward or Adell in RF, and use the DH for all 4 of the OF and Rendon, depending on matchups, hot or cold bats, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I wouldn't think much of it except that he has never had a season where he bats well at DH. It's starting to feel like a pattern to me - like he just doesn't play as well when he's sitting on the bench half the time. Could it change? Sure. Kershaw was a playoff ghost...until one year he wasn't. But personally, I'm not at all eager to pencil Trout in for significantly more DH days until he starts hitting in that spot. 

I fully support him moving to RF or LF first and seeing if that helps slow some wear or tear. I don't like the idea of a near-full time DH at Trout's ideal this early in his career. Eventually he will have to start seeing more time there, and learning how to adapt to a role where he's no longer playing the field. I think he'll adjust - his career wouldn't be what it was without his tremendous ability to adjust. 

He's at an age where I don't think he can rely on what worked for him in the first decade of his career. I remember reading a great article in The Athletic last spring I think about Glavine and/or Maddux, maybe Nolan Ryan, Randy Johnson, about Scherzer and Verlander, talking about how they had to change almost everything about the way they operated as they aged in order to maintain success. Trout's reaching that curve too. They spoke about not needing to work out as vigorously or do strength as much as they did in their youth. They needed less time, more quick-twitch, flexibility, cardio...I wonder if perhaps Trout is overdoing it in the gym the last couple years and it's just contributing to wear and tear. Maybe he's trying too hard to regain strength and it's the wrong workouts. 

2023 was an example of I think the transition of Trout's career. He slumped harder than before, longer than before, and really had a tough time. I think it was the first time where his natural talent and approach just could not keep up with what he needed to do. A new plan could help move him into the next stage of his career, learning what he needs to do, and I think understanding DHing could be and will be a key part of that process.

Honestly,

I could see us doing something dumb and trading  for Gincarlo Stanton.

Obvs the Yankees would have to eat salary or the angels ease the prospect return (like we have any) the angels just take on another bad contract 

the comments by cashman and Stanton’s agent points to him being shipped out of New York

Stanton really doesn't have a place to play here.  The DH role can be taken by any one of a number of players on the roster.  

Virtually any hitter currently on the FA market could also fill the role, as could anyone acquired in trade, or via the Rule V, for far less money than Stanton will make in 2024. 

Depends on how Washington wants to construct the lineup. And where in the batting order he wants the DH. 

Will he prioritize power at the DH spot or someone who can set the table and get on base more via hits and walks. 

Ohtani at the two spot drove in runs, but also had the speed to get infield hits. The next DH won't necessarily hit second. 

The Angel roster currently can mix and match, rotate and platoon. But. Ideally you want a regular starter who gets used to the routine of not playing in the field very often and can focus on preparing for his plate appearances. 

I know it's not likely, but I still think that Votto would fill the role for a year or two. Only at the right price. He is old, had a poor year coming off injuries. But if healthy and energized he could be a good veteran presence. He is elite knowing the strike zone and working walks. He still has solid power and can be expected to deliver double digit homers. And not a bad backup at first. 

But obviously there are others out there as well. And it may depend on Washington's knowledge and familiarity with any potential candidate. He's not the GM, but presumably he will have a big role in how he wants the team to play. And you figure that he and Perry will be in ongoing discussions about roster options.