• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark DeRosa

Ron Mexico

18 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

You guys are the ones constantly speculating about his job.  Starting polls, multiple threads. Not me.  He is living rent free in all of your pea brains.  And as an Angel fan, I find it quite sad and disgusting.

You have zero self-awareness and, in the context of Phil Nevin, no relationship with reality.

In no even warped version of reality has Phil Nevin established that his job is not a valid subject of discussion, of him being replaced, etc.

You are utterly delusional.

33 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You have zero self-awareness and, in the context of Phil Nevin, no relationship with reality.

In no even warped version of reality has Phil Nevin established that his job is not a valid subject of discussion, of him being replaced, etc.

You are utterly delusional.

You are all wasting intellectual capital. It is almost 100% he will be back.

1 minute ago, Swordsman78 said:

Almost 100%, that is hilarious.  I could see one scenario where the odds are “almost 100%” and that is if Arte publicly puts the team back on the market.  Other than that there is 0% chance he is almost 100% going to be back.  (60% of the time it works every time)

1 minute ago, Tank said:

So stop with all the suspense and just tell us how exactly you’re related to Nevin. 

He probably met him once and Nevin said something nice to him and he now thinks they are best friends.

I used the word “delusional” because he completely ignores one huge point:

Something absolutely must change with this team.  Replacing a manager with Nevin’s level of clout is one of the cheapest, easiest things you can do to try to make something different.

To me anyway, you almost have to try to upgrade in this situation of Nevin is basically disposable and it’s a cheap move.  It’s like the free bingo spot on the bingo card.

It’s not a free move when you have a truly established manager with a firm history of being the right guy.

Nevin is not that guy.  And that’s not even specifically a rip on him personally.  He just isn’t the established guy with clout that likely survives a year like the Angels just had.

1 hour ago, Swordsman78 said:

I don't know about 100% but it wouldn't surprise me if we see Nevin back.

If not Nevin then someone like Montgomery. I would be surprised if we see a well-established, high-profile guy come in to manage the Angels.

Maddon didn't like it when Minasian called down to the dugout during a game to dictate strategy.

Apparently Nevin is ok with it, and that works in his favor.

Whatever happens it will probably be hilarious.

FTR, i like Nevin. However, I feel ambivalent about his tenure - I'm okay if they keep him, but I also understand if they let him go.

While he goofed up a few in-game decisions, a lot of what happened to this team this year was out of his hands, and not even the world's greatest baseball manager would have gotten much of a different outcome this season.

Back to the subject... I like DeRosa.  I have no idea if he'd be a good manager, but I think he'll get a shot somewhere, some day.  I also like Eduardo Perez who was a candidate for the Mets job.  He's another MLB network guy, but I think he too will get a shot.  I don't know if he'd make a good manager either....

I actually don't like seeing retreads get hired.  I think some new blood is good for baseball. 

9 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Back to the subject... I like DeRosa.  I have no idea if he'd be a good manager, but I think he'll get a shot somewhere, some day.  I also like Eduardo Perez who was a candidate for the Mets job.  He's another MLB network guy, but I think he too will get a shot.  I don't know if he'd make a good manager either....

I actually don't like seeing retreads get hired.  I think some new blood is good for baseball. 

I came in here to respond and I agree with all of your takes here @T.G..

I'd be happy with either DeRosa or Perez. I was in Nevin's court for a good portion of the season but kind of fell out of favor with him as the season progressed. 

On 9/30/2023 at 10:02 PM, khouse said:

Given Perry's background...those would likely include Valentine & if the Mets fire him...Schowalter...

I was told that Bobby V is very close to Minasian. It actually would have made sense to give him the job for 2023 because, 1) it’s hard to see him being worse than Nevin, and 2) Bobby V is a legend in Japan and, if the Angels were competitive, could have helped to sway Ohtani to staying. 

9 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Scioscia was a very good manager. He was very close to being number one but just a little behind Bill Rigney.

He's the best manager in club history. No debate.

Mauch is a good 2nd place. Rigney is not even 3rd. 

37 minutes ago, Hubs said:

He's the best manager in club history. No debate.

Mauch is a good 2nd place. Rigney is not even 3rd. 

I was there in 61 and 62 when he took an expansion team to more wins then anyone thought. I saw how he used his pitching staff. Scioscia had bunch of all stars. Gene Mauch all the players Gene Autry got him and he could never win it. Mauch blew 3 to 1 lead against Boston in 86. Look at how Rigney used his pitchers in 62 just amazing. 

12 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I was there in 61 and 62 when he took an expansion team to more wins then anyone thought. I saw how he used his pitching staff. Scioscia had bunch of all stars. Gene Mauch all the players Gene Autry got him and he could never win it. Mauch blew 3 to 1 lead against Boston in 86. Look at how Rigney used his pitchers in 62 just amazing. 

I was -18 years old in 1961.

But Rigney didn't top 86 wins. He didn't make the postseason, and never would've even with divisional alignment. He might be your favorite manager and that's fine, but C'mon. Scioscia was the best manager this club has ever had.

And I would put Scioscia #1, Mauch #2, Fregosi #3, and then probably Rigney for longevity.

For the worst managers it's a lot longer list, But Ausmus and Nevin would be in the top 5 worst managers.

31 minutes ago, Hubs said:

And I would put Scioscia #1, Mauch #2, Fregosi #3, and then probably Rigney for longevity.

For the worst managers it's a lot longer list, But Ausmus and Nevin would be in the top 5 worst managers.

Fregosi was a horrible manager. He only lasted little over 3 years. 1980 had Rod Carew, Bobby Grich, Joe Rudi, Brian Downung, Don Baylor among others. His record was 65 and 95. Gene Mauch cost halos in 86 playoffs vs Boston. Brings in Loup (Lucas) with 2 outs top of 9. Follows that up with  Estevez (Donnie Moore)