• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nevin or Melvin

Stradling

Nevin or Melvin  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather see the Angels have managing the team next year?

I think there’s some value to continuity.  Personally, I think Nevin is a guy that you can win with.  The players like him, he handles the media well.  I don’t get the point of changing him when he’s been given teams with obvious flaws that are severe, terrible injury luck and really absurd under performance from an entire pitching staff.  The Angels problems don’t have anything to do with Nevin as far as I’m concerned.  And it’s not like he’s going to cost much. 

19 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think there’s some value to continuity.  Personally, I think Nevin is a guy that you can win with.  The players like him, he handles the media well.  I don’t get the point of changing him when he’s been given teams with obvious flaws that are severe, terrible injury luck and really absurd under performance from an entire pitching staff.  The Angels problems don’t have anything to do with Nevin as far as I’m concerned.  And it’s not like he’s going to cost much. 

What, specifically has shown you he is "a guy you can win with"

He's 17 games under .500 and was 14 under last year. He's not a good manager.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Never claimed I was! I just had the displeasure of watching Nevin attempt to manage, but I honestly think almost anyone could've done better.

Very sad! 

seriously tho, I don’t think Nevin is much of an issue.  If he has a good team, he’ll be fine.  Imo.  But they’ll do what they do.  Who gives a shit I guess. 

Perry has had his hand-picked manager.  Nevin.  It didn’t work out.  Nevin gets fired by the Yankees and ends up out here ….Madden gets blown out and Nevin acts like he just won “The Clearinghouse Sweepstakes” as the new manager of the Angels 😂 calls his pal Brett Boone crying on the phone “OMG they’ve selected me! I can’t believe it!”

😂😂😂

it’s long overdue to move on ….

You “friends of Phil” need to let it go.  It didn’t work out.  No “fan” of the ball club would defend this guy.  

family or drinking buds….yeah probably…..

Players aren’t gonna talk any trash about him or they’re gonna be out of a job.  So take whatever the players say with a grain of salt.

Last I checked this is a results oriented business.  You’re a manager and get dealt lemons….you find a way to turn it into lemonade.

I’m sure he’s a wonderful guy. But it hasn’t worked out.  

3 hours ago, Just Sayin said:

Perry has had his hand-picked manager.  Nevin.  It didn’t work out.  

Perry didn't pick Nevin, he was in the organization as the third base coach, picked by Maddon. After Maddon was canned Nevin was assigned as an interim manager.

He was extended only because Moreno had the team up for sale and the new owner shouldn't be saddled with a manager they didn't approve on a long term deal. 

Maddon wasn't Perry's choice. Nevin was a warm body in the dugout and got the interim. Had Perry had his way he never would have hired Maddon or Nevin. He should have the option to make corrections this fall, unless Arte goes off and puts the team up for sale. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maddon wasn't Perry's choice. Nevin was a warm body in the dugout and got the interim.

I do wonder why Nevin was the choice in the interim. At that time, the Angels were only 1.5 games out of a playoff spot and there were still 100+ games left.

Perry had his front office buddy Ray Montgomery in the dugout if he wanted the manager to be an extension of the front office.

Yet he chose Nevin, for some reason. Despite the fact that Nevin was a Maddon guy.

Depends on what happens with Perry. He seems to be on the same page as Nevin, at least for the most part. If Minasian isn't fired (he shouldn't be) then he'll decide if he wants to move forward with Nevin.

Melvin is good on paper and I'd vote for him, everything being equal, but I feel like we've played musical managers enough. No one guy is gonna lead this floating dumpster fire to land. 

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Depends on what happens with Perry. He seems to be on the same page as Nevin, at least for the most part. If Minasian isn't fired (he shouldn't be) then he'll decide if he wants to move forward with Nevin.

Pretty much this.  No clue who the next manager will be, but my guess is it's someone Perry and company can trust to follow the info on the spreadsheets. There may be some exceptions left, they STILL need to be able to motivate guys and keep them all on the same page but the days when double switches were a thing and managers big brained their way to wins seems resigned to MLB history.