• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is this team’s “Rock Bottom” for you?

Weve already hit it for me.

So many mistakes, mismanagement issues, seemingly running on a laptop instead of actual baseball knowledge, where does it even end?  Ive been a fan since the late 70s, and ive never been lower on this team or the game as a whole than i am now. 

I would rather go back to the little market Autry days than continue this pathetic disgrace of the last few years. 

Seeing Trout and Ohtani play, in loss after loss, does absolutely nothing for me. 

There are a solid handful of good stories left, Atl and a few more, but half the league is openly tanking and the other half is playing moneyball.

The business of baseball has ruined the game of baseball, and our owner is a pure businessman. 

Ownership is a major factor. Arte owning the team for years to come is a foundation for more rock bottom results.

From just my own interests in various sports I've seen major shifts in team fortunes coming because of ownership changes. 

Eddie deBartolo being forced out and having the franchise run by his sister and her son led to a dramatic downturn in fortunes for over a decade for the Forty Niners. Jed has matured, but it took over a decade of big mistakes  

Charles Bronfman selling the Expos to a penny pinching consortium led directly to the franchise moving. 

The sixties Yankees sale to CBS abruptly put an end to that dynasty amongst other factors. 

The Montreal Canadiens sale to a carpetbagger for a few years before he flipped them brought confusion and suspicion.

The Vancouver Canucks under current Aquilini ownership has produced soap opera like stories and mostly poor seasons. 

And those are just teams I have followed. 

Owners have objectives and priorities. Income is a major common goal, but pride, prestige, community status are factors to. As well as whatever personal quirks they may have. Even  nepotism or family legacy have been motivation for various owners.

And not all owners are equally smart, shrewd or good judges of management personnel and other hires. Conflicts with their insider advisors is always a risk if the owner over rules or forces compliance with his own directives. And the insider advisors themselves are potentially a big part of the problem. 

Arte had had some success and not all problems are his faults. But he's been there long enough to see the patterns of his ownership. And given the failure to sell means he's basically in lame duck status or at least not fully engaged in the future of the team. 

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

Rock bottom is simply getting all up in our feelings.  It sucks right now, but it won’t be like that forever, despite what some of our “fans” say.  It was worse in the 80’s and 90’s.  Back then we were bad and uninteresting.  Now everything is exaggerated because of the 24 hour news/social media cycle.  Hell everything is exaggerated because we have this community to harp on all things bad.  I won’t quit being a fan, not because I am super positive or blind to the issues.  I won’t quit being a fan because it is my chosen hobby.  

Most of 80s was fairly good. 79, 82 86 division winners.  Several years we were in contention into September. 

90s rock bottom.  In particular 95 collapse

6 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

The sixties Yankees sale to CBS abruptly put an end to that dynasty amongst other factors. 

I remember when this happened. This was early in my baseball fandom. At the time, we got one game a week on television, shown on Saturday afternoon. The teams varied. The game was on CBS. After the network bought the Yankees, it became The Yankee Game of the Week. We only got games when the Yankees were at home. The only upside for fans was that we got both the Saturday and Sunday games of a weekend home series. I hated the Yankees with a passion, and I rooted for whoever happened to be playing them.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

12 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

1980 sucked even worse than this!

Everyone was out and our Minor Leaguers were putrid.

True but 1980 came right off the heels of a breakthrough ‘79 season and only two years later they were a game away from the World Series. (Three times. Don’t get me started but I digress.)

Everything went wrong that year but I truly can’t remember any team in any sport dealing with the amount and impact of injuries like this year’s Angels have. Couple that with the unexpected drop in starting pitching effectiveness which somehow stayed pretty healthy, a crap bullpen, subpar defense and you get what you got.