• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels give hot-hitting Luis Rengifo a shot in the outfield

PHILADELPHIA — Playing center field and batting second for the Angels … Luis Rengifo.

Rengifo started Wednesday in the defensive position and lineup spot often occupied by Mike Trout, a symbol of how horribly wrong this Angels season has gone as well as how much the Angels think of Rengifo’s improvement and versatility.

Rengifo might get more time in the outfield over the final month if Hunter Renfroe and Randal Grichuk are both claimed on waivers.

“I haven’t seen him a lot out there, but he’s such a good athlete, you can throw him everywhere,” Angels manager Phil Nevin said.

Offensively, Rengifo has had a strong second half in back-to-back years. He’s hit .315 with 10 homers and a .973 OPS over his past 55 games. That includes 15 hits in his last 27 at-bats.

“I’ve got a plan every single time when I go in the box,” Rengifo said. “I’m focused. Stay in my plan and don’t change.”

Nevin said hitting coaches Marcus Thames and Phil Plantier have helped Rengifo develop a better approach, which is evident by his increase from 17 walks last year to 41 this year.

“He’s swinging at the right pitches,” Nevin said. “He’s ready to hit the fastball each time he’s up there. And he’s been in a good position to hit the fastball, but being in a good position will keep you on off-speed stuff too.”

MOOSE SITS

Mike Moustakas was not in the Angels’ lineup Wednesday, which was partly because he had been in a 2-for-31 slump but also because Nevin said the 34-year-old infielder is best when he gets more days off.

“Running him out there five games in a row, six games in a row is a lot right now,” Nevin said. “You can visibly see when you’re out there for that long and it takes it takes a toll on what your swing is and the way you move.”

The Angels have also appreciated Moustakas’ presence in the clubhouse. It was notable that he was not among the players reportedly placed on waivers, even though he’s a free agent at the end of the season.

Whether or not Moustakas is back next season, the Angels clearly see value in the time he’s spending with the young players for the rest of this season.

“He’s still a really good major-league baseball player,” Nevin said. “He’s done a heckuva job for us. He’s won a lot of games for us. But more so he’s brought a lot to that room, instant credibility because of where he’s been and what he’s done in this game. He’s won World Series, a lot of playoff games. The more guys you can have in your clubhouse like that, the better off you’re going to be.”

NOTES

Shortstop Zach Neto (lower back inflammation) could take batting practice on the field as soon as Friday, Nevin said. …

The Angels will be able to expand their roster by two spots, to 28, before Friday’s game. They are likely to add one pitcher and one position player.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Patrick Sandoval, 7-10, 3.95) vs. A’s (TBD), 6:40 p.m. Friday, Oakland Coliseum, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Rengifo is actually having the breakout we've long hoped for? He's hitting .313/.383/.587 in the second half. I'm sure I could carve the sample size down to even more impressive numbers, but that's pretty damn good. 

I'm definitely rooting for him. He looks different this year, for sure, and you could see it right at the beginning of the season like something clicked for him.

19 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Rengifo is actually having the breakout we've long hoped for? He's hitting .313/.383/.587 in the second half. I'm sure I could carve the sample size down to even more impressive numbers, but that's pretty damn good. 

He had a good second half last year too. Maybe he just needs a couple months to click, maybe he’s turned a corner. 

I’m glad they’ve stuck with him, I’ve always felt he has un reached potential and hope he’s getting there. He seems to have great clubhouse presence and some leadership qualities as well. Quietly been one of my fav Angels the last couple seasons.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He had a good second half last year too. Maybe he just needs a couple months to click, maybe he’s turned a corner. 

I’m glad they’ve stuck with him, I’ve always felt he has un reached potential and hope he’s getting there. He seems to have great clubhouse presence and some leadership qualities as well. Quietly been one of my fav Angels the last couple seasons.

I checked last year, and this year is MUCH better -- at least so far. He'll probably cool off at some point.

It is also noteworthy how much is BB% has gone up: from 3.3% last year to 9.9% this year.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I checked last year, and this year is MUCH better -- at least so far. He'll probably cool off at some point.

It is also noteworthy how much is BB% has gone up: from 3.3% last year to 9.9% this year.

The BB rate has been supremely encouraging.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The BB rate has been supremely encouraging.

It's almost exactly the same BB rate as he had in his rookie year.  He walked a bunch in the minors in 2018, too. Last year just seems like it was a weird outlier or maybe he changed his approach for some reason.  He does seem to naturally have a pretty good eye, so hopelly whatever caused the dip last season never comes back. 

A Renigfo/Schanuel 1-2 punch could develop into a great table setter for the MOTO bats. 

I have always liked Renigfo. He has good tools and is built like a tank, but he has definitely been frustrating at times. Hope he keeps up the plate discipline and limits the mental errors on defense. 

The best is still in front of him.  Could see .280/.360/.470 baseline in his future with 20 bombs and 15 steals. That’s a pretty valuable player, especially if he can cover multiple positions. 

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’m not saying this is or isn’t true, but I’m curious what the basis of this comment is. 

Sort of just observational…feels like he’s had people speak highly of him (players and coaches) over the years in quotes, even when he wasn’t playing well, also seems like he’s also quoted often and accessible, well-spoken, insightful, positive, post-game tv interviews…maybe that is just a byproduct of him being more comfortable speaking outwardly than other players, but from the outside looking in they seem to reflect qualities that would give him a good clubhouse presence and some leadership vibes. Can definitely be a fine line where those things could be annoying too, but that doesn’t seem to come across.

Just vibes. Seems like a naturally likeable and eager guy, not as buried in cliches. 

Edited by totdprods

20 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

He did the same exact thing last year in the 2nd half.  He's def a better hitter after the AS break.

33 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maybe OF will be his spot in 2024. Super sub can play many positions.

Give him 3B, and re-sign Moose for 2024 insurance at 3B and 1B.

True that he can play 3 INF positions plus starting to get a few OF starts.   He showed the athleticism to overcome initial poor FB read.

If Ohtani leaves, Rendon (if healthy, big ?) can take part of the DH starts).

44 minutes ago, halonatic13 said:

He did the same exact thing last year in the 2nd half.  He's def a better hitter after the AS break.

Again, he's much better in this second half, with the caveat that it is only 43 games.

2022:

1st half: 58 games, .259/.301/.393

2nd half: 69 games, .267/.290/.455

2023:

1st half: 76 games, .219/.312/.326

2nd half: 43 games, .312/.378/.578

As you can see, he wasn't vastly better in the second half last year. That was my perception as well, but the numbers tell otherwise. I think he was hot for about a month in July and into August, but overall only his power numbers are significantly better - and his discipline actually got worse.

But this year is different: he's raking. Of course there's still 28 games left.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Sort of just observational…feels like he’s had people speak highly of him (players and coaches) over the years in quotes, even when he wasn’t playing well, also seems like he’s also quoted often and accessible, well-spoken, insightful, positive, post-game tv interviews…maybe that is just a byproduct of him being more comfortable speaking outwardly than other players, but from the outside looking in they seem to reflect qualities that would give him a good clubhouse presence and some leadership vibes. Can definitely be a fine line where those things could be annoying too, but that doesn’t seem to come across.

Just vibes. Seems like a naturally likeable and eager guy, not as buried in cliches. 

Some things in here are definitely true. 

• 3 weeks later...