• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ miserable Texas trip continues with another loss

ARLINGTON, Texas — A night after Manager Phil Nevin was angry at his team’s lack of focus in an embarrassing loss, they responded with … a normal loss.

The Angels dropped a 7-3 decision to the Texas Rangers on Tuesday, a game in which neither starter Lucas Giolito nor the Angels hitters did much to distinguish themselves.

While they at least cleaned up the mental mistakes that marred their 12-0 loss on Monday, it was nonetheless their 11th loss in the last 14 games. The Angels (59-62) are three games under .500 for the first time all season.

They have lost four of five games on this trip to Texas to face the Houston Astros and Rangers, with mercifully just one game remaining. In each of the losses, they’ve trailed by at least four runs while their starting pitcher was in the game.

The most runs they’ve scored so far on this trip is three. They have just three in the first two games against the Rangers, two of them on a Randal Grichuk ninth-inning homer after they were down by six on Tuesday night.

Giolito gave up four runs in six innings in his fourth start with the Angels. Outside of one terrible outing in which he gave up nine runs against the Atlanta Braves, Giolito’s other games have been similar.

In each of the others, he gave up three or four runs and pitched five or six innings.

Certainly, none of those would meet the standard of a good outing, particularly for someone with Giolito’s career track record, but he has demonstrated an ability to limit the damage and spare the bullpen an excessive workload. His 110 pitches were a season-high.

Three of the runs Giolito allowed on Tuesday came in a three-batter sequence in the third inning.

He opened the inning with a walk of No. 9 hitter Travis Jankowski – an ominous start. Marcus Semien then got an 0-and-2 pitch on the outside corner and drove it down the right field line for a triple.

Giolito then threw a fastball right down the middle to Corey Seager, who lifted it barely over the fence in left-center. Center fielder Jordyn Adams leaped and got his glove on the ball, but he couldn’t hold it.

Seager hit his second homer of the game in the seventh, against Aaron Loup. He drove in two more runs against Dominic Leone in the eighth.

The Angels had a shot to get back into the game in the fifth. Eduardo Escobar and Chad Wallach had back-to-back singles and Luis Rengifo drove in a run with a two-out hit. Trailing 4-1, the Angels had Shohei Ohtani at the plate as the potential tying run. He struck out.

More to come on this story.

View the full article

11 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Other than the injuries which may have been unpreventable, the biggest fail on the 2023 Anges is the starting pitching.   Utterly gutless and pathetic.

The entire team has zero life, it’s truly sad. 7-1 ass whooping yet again…. They all look like they don’t want to be there when they can be in the middle of a playoff race if they weren’t a bunch of pussies. 

Who cares when Sandoval sits there and says “I need to be better” blah blah blah… it’s the same shit every year. It’s not even fun to be a fan of baseball when you like the angels, they are a 100% embarrassment.

it angers me we gave up anything for Giolito, dude is ASS. 

13 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Other than the injuries which may have been unpreventable, the biggest fail on the 2023 Anges is the starting pitching.   Utterly gutless and pathetic.

The pitching as a whole isn't great. But the bullpen is much worse than the starting pitching. Bullpen is basically bottom 5 in MLB.

Starting pitching is more in the middle of the pack. Somewhere between 15-20th.

Offense performed better, they're a top 10 offense essentially.

4 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

The pitching as a whole isn't great. But the bullpen is much worse than the starting pitching. Bullpen is basically bottom 5 in MLB.

Starting pitching is more in the middle of the pack. Somewhere between 15-20th.

Offense performed better, they're a top 10 offense essentially.

Valid points.

My guess is that the starting pitching has been ass since the trade deadline

5 hours ago, TroutField said:

The entire team has zero life, it’s truly sad. 7-1 ass whooping yet again…. They all look like they don’t want to be there when they can be in the middle of a playoff race if they weren’t a bunch of pussies. 

You obviously didn't watch the game because you got the score wrong. 

1 hour ago, gurn67 said:

I decided to go to Wednesday game for 3 reasons.

1. I'm 99% sure it will be my last opportunity to see Ohtani play in an Angels' uniform. 

2. Online resale tickets are only 10 bucks

3. It's dollar hot dog night in Arlington.

1. You're not wrong.

2. You should be able to sit wherever you want once you're in the gate. 

3. "Yes concession stand person, I will take 5 hot dogs, and don't make me say it again."

9 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Right now they're playing like the 1999 team that flat out quit on Terry Collins. Normally, making moves at the trade deadline fires up a team. This team is playing like they know they're going to lose.

Imagining what might be going through the players' minds right now:

"When is Trout returning, to take the pressure off of us?"

"How many more days do we have to go through this torture?"

"Why did Nevin turn into such a meanie all of a sudden?"

"When's my next scheduled off day?"

"I'm tired. When does vacation begin?"

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Imagining what might be going through the players' minds right now:

"When is Trout returning, to take the pressure off of us?"

"How many more days do we have to go through this torture?"

"Why did Nevin turn into such a meanie all of a sudden?"

"When's my next scheduled off day?"

"I'm tired. When does vacation begin?"

"I'm a free agent in 6 weeks!"

9 hours ago, gurn67 said:

3. It's dollar hot dog night in Arlington.

A fun fact I learned about that last year: they are not the same hot dogs that they sell for normal price. 

So you’re getting an even worse product than the normal crappy ballpark hot dog. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

57 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

A fun fact I learned about that last year: they are not the same hot dogs that they sell for normal price. 

So you’re getting an even worse product than the normal crappy ballpark hot dog. 

I assumed that, but I haven't had a ballpark hot dog in at least 10 years. 

I'll get one and if it's really bad, there's always Buc-ee's on my way home. 24 hour barbecue.

Actually, I just bought a ticket on stubhub for $6.19 including fees. I guess Ohtani not pitching tonight made a difference in the prices. I know where to park for 5 bucks, so I'll spend more on gas tonight than going to the game. I'll pay for it later tonight depending on how many dollar hot dogs I eat.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Look at this guy, king of the castle all high and mighty about his ballpark wiener purchases.

35 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Look at this guy, king of the castle all high and mighty about his ballpark wiener purchases.

What do you expect for a buck? I told my friend here that if he wanted to go to the game tonight, I would drive and get him a ticket for 6 bucks. He asked me "Are they good seats?" I said they're in the stadium, what do you expect? Box seats behind home plate?