• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is it wrong to fire a Millenial/Gen Z for not wanting to do a task?

24 minutes ago, Tank said:

from my limited view, what i see is a whole lot of kids who don't have to work for anything they want. they just ask mom and dad and they get what they want. so when they have a job, they lack a lot of skills - i don't want to do this or that, i guess that's all i have to do, what should i do next, and so on. so when they get hired, they don't know much about how to be a good worker, like taking initiative or finding something to do. lazy? probably a fair amount of that mixed in for some. but a lot of them need step-by-step instructions on so many things.

there are always exceptions, and i've had a number of kids who were self-motivated, driven, and had been taught to work for things they wanted, but even then there's a difference when you start working for someone else. 

We definitely don't raise our kids by giving them everything they want. Every day is a struggle with our 2-year-old because she's aware of everything and doesn't understand why she can't "eat cake" or "go to the p-town" (how she pronounces playground) right now. And the parent friends we have seem to have the same philosophy as us.

On 8/10/2023 at 1:15 PM, notherhalo said:

Is that wrong?  Feels like the modern way is to not fire them instantly

The thing I hated most about being a manager was hiring and firing. After going to all the trouble to bring someone on board you don't just cut them loose at the drop of a hat. Most of the people I hired were professionals and not entry-level kids, but you probably want to drill down a bit to find out specifically what their complaint is with the task you asked them to do. Maybe it's not the task itself but the way you asked for it to be done that crushed their delicate ego.

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

Sure, but employees aren't robots programmed to follow orders. It's reasonable for them to know what their job entails ahead of time. If they're unclear about expectations, their manager hasn't communicated very well.

Which is why I said I wouldn’t fire them, I would send them home, then I would teach them about consequences.  I have no idea how many people you have lead or managed throughout the years, it could be 10’s it could be 100’s.  I have managed hundreds and lead 1000’s.  I have had quite a bit of success having honest conversations with people.  Sure I left out certain parts of what I would share with them about consequences, in that conversation it would be based on letting them know there are things you will be asked to do that will push your limits of comfort.  It’s called growth.  

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which is why I said I wouldn’t fire them, I would send them home, then I would teach them about consequences.  I have no idea how many people you have lead or managed throughout the years, it could be 10’s it could be 100’s.  I have managed hundreds and lead 1000’s.  I have had quite a bit of success having honest conversations with people.  Sure I left out certain parts of what I would share with them about consequences, in that conversation it would be based on letting them know there are things you will be asked to do that will push your limits of comfort.  It’s called growth.  

You sound a little full of yourself, dawg. Maybe you're the GOAT manager, maybe not. But there isn't a positive correlation between managerial strength and employees managed.

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

You sound a little full of yourself, dawg. Maybe you're the GOAT manager, maybe not. But there isn't a positive correlation between managerial strength and employees managed.

Ok. I’m not at all full of myself but I have had success managing and leading people. There’s absolutely a correlation between leadership strength and employee productivity, employee growth, employee retention along with other measurable employee traits. 

8 hours ago, Taylor said:

We definitely don't raise our kids by giving them everything they want. Every day is a struggle with our 2-year-old because she's aware of everything and doesn't understand why she can't "eat cake" or "go to the p-town" (how she pronounces playground) right now. And the parent friends we have seem to have the same philosophy as us.

High five with your kid, I love going to “P-Town” too.  

On 8/11/2023 at 12:15 PM, Taylor said:

cool. i hope you continue down that path with both your kids.

if you know any parents that are dropping $1000 plus for their kids first or second birthday party, or just generally going way overboard for things their kid has no awareness of, those are the ones i'd watch out for.

23 minutes ago, Tank said:

cool. i hope you continue down that path with both your kids.

if you know any parents that are dropping $1000 plus for their kids first or second birthday party, or just generally going way overboard for things their kid has no awareness of, those are the ones i'd watch out for.

Yeah, people spending wedding money on their toddlers' birthday parties is bizarre. We don't personally know anyone who does that.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Yeah, people spending wedding money on their toddlers' birthday parties is bizarre. We don't personally know anyone who does that.

It’s easy for you to judge people’s spending habits when you have basically no income.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’m about to sound ignorant (which is normal) but are we saying bounce houses are expensive and that’s too much to spend at a kids birthday party?  

Not necessarily. But typically these massive $30,000 toddler parties feature a couple bounce houses and ponies.

8 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’m about to sound ignorant (which is normal) but are we saying bounce houses are expensive and that’s too much to spend at a kids birthday party?  

I think what we are getting at here is that well off parents tend to spend more money on their kids and thus create the cycle of entitlement.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think what we are getting at here is that well off parents tend to spend more money on their kids and thus create the cycle of entitlement.

If you’ve ever ordered a burger from the little bitches who were raised in Newport and work at TK burger but forced to work a part-time job by their parents to build character or some shit, you know this.

6 hours ago, Taylor said:

Not necessarily. But typically these massive $30,000 toddler parties feature a couple bounce houses and ponies.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ok. I think a bounce house is almost mandatory at any event to keep kids busy. 

6 minutes ago, cals said:

If you’ve ever ordered a burger from the little bitches who were raised in Newport and work at TK burger but forced to work a part-time job by their parents to build character or some shit, you know this.

I've been to INO a lot and can't recall ever experiencing a bad employee.

Edge: Stradling?

17 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I've been to INO a lot and can't recall ever experiencing a bad employee.

Edge: Stradling?

They pump those kids so full of low grade meth and Bible verses, they wouldn’t be able to slack off or think for themselves if they tried.  INO turns teenagers into burger zombies.  Prove me wrong.