• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Randal Grichuk and CJ Cron for Jake Madden and Mason Albright (option Cabbage, DFA Padlo, place Ward on 60-day IL)

mmc

3 hours ago, tomsred said:

What am I missing here?  We had the 29th ranked farm system in the majors before these deadline trades were made.  So those of you worrying about decimating it, well was already a mess.  There is no way the farm can help in light of the significant injury to Ward, or to bridge the gap in any other way this year.  Perry and Arte are going for the best they can squeeze out of major league talent this year.  You have to make a move like the Grichuk/Cron deal because there is no way to get help internally, the near term ugly schedule will destroy you for sure otherwise.  I hope they get another reliever before this is done.

Decimating what farm system? I don't get all of this pearl-clutching. Our best prospects going into this year have graduated, so that all that was left was trade fodder. I see these two guys as interchangeable pitching Rondons...

You're right, they HAD to make this deal. Hoping that these two minor leaguers will amount to anything other than what they were today (trade fodder) is just...wishcasting.

Edited by Mark68

2 hours ago, REDneck said:

This just reeks of desperation... But hey what do I know.

It is desperate, with the numerous injuries and being forced to play players that don't belong in a MLB roster like Cabbage, out of position, I don't blame Perry for making this deal.  While I may disagree with the players they got, they do belong in the majors. 

4 hours ago, Mark68 said:

Decimating what farm system? I don't get all of this pearl-clutching. Our best prospects going into this year have graduated, so that all that was left was trade fodder. I see these two guys as interchangeable pitching Rondons...

You're right, they HAD to make this deal. Hoping that these two minor leaguers will amount to anything other than what they were today (trade fodder) is just...wishcasting.

I think that is probably the crux of the issue.  I don't think most feel anyone THAT significant was traded away (although I do think Quero had more trade value than what he got in return), but rather that it takes some time to draft and develop talent, and by trading a number of prospects away for rentals, that obviously impedes our prospect pipeline.

I think if we had a much better position in the wild card race, few would object to it.  I think the issue moreso is that our odds are fairly low, and it seems that the prospects we are trading are being traded for a low probability outcome.

But I did say this earlier - if all of this helps convince Ohtani to stay, because he sees that his FO / owner will do whatever possible to contend while we are close, then that is obviously more than worth every single traded prospect.

All the talk about they are doing this to show Ohtani is fine. For me I want the Angels to win this year plain and simple. First time in 8 seasons playing meaningful games in August. Give credit to Perry and Arte for position they took on this team. Props to Perry for going out and making deals right away. After Ward got hit the air was really taken out of balloon for fans and team. Team sucked it up on Sunday found a way to win. Soon after that Minasian adds to this team. As a fan pumped life back into this team. Screw the halo weak farm system let's try and win this year as it's been too long.

I'm thinking Vegas Knights for gutting their farm system every year to go for it. It's a new style of management. Why not? When's the last time the Angels went for it? Can't remember. I hear they're going all-in to convince Ohtani to stay. How about Trout? He seems lost in space when it comes to talking superstar Angels anymore. I have to think with Trout's recent history (going back a couple years) he may not be a full-time player anymore and is entering Pujols Time in his hugely bloated contract.

Well, one thing i dont think anyone, myself included, can say anymore is that Arte/Perry arent trying.
They are still covering their bases with acquiring expiring contracts over any long term commitments payroll wise so going over the tax on the short term but nothing long term, a total Arte move 🙂
But i cant fault what they are doing.
A day left to finish the job.

Yup @vladdy#27 and @Swiss Angel Fan, I really, really like how this deal fits the ‘23 team for all of these reasons. 

I’ve referenced it a few times on this board, and Perry wasn’t directly involved since he was in his first year in Anaheim when it happened (I think), but I keep recalling the deadline where Atlanta acquired Joc Pederson, Eddie Rosario, Jorge Soler and Adam Duvall - an entire outfield - when none of them were having particularly good seasons, yet almost all of them had huge playoff or stretch run contributions. I believe all were also on expiring contracts at the time.

Starting with Moose and Escobar, all of these deals remind me so much of that. It made a good Atlanta team almost bulletproof in the playoffs. Their core was arguably a little better and more widespread in its talents, but there wasn’t really a single weak-link in their active roster chain and that made them incredibly tough. 

I’d like to see two more arms added…at least one reliever. If they can simply tread water and maintain until guys start coming back I think they’ve got a real shot.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Angels don’t need another outfielder in my opinion. 

You have 3 OF with 0 in minors to bring up. Who knows about Trout when he comes back. 2024 who knows about Ward and Renfroe a FA. We saw what happened when Ward went down Cabbage was in CF. Biggest need in my opinion is OF.

17 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Agreed.  With Trout coming back soon-ish, there won't even really be room for another one on the roster by mid-August.

When is Trout coming back and who knows how long for him really be ready to play. Right now halos have 3 OF with Cabbage first option in minors.

All of a sudden the division is as much within reach as the wildcard after TX getting swept by the Pad and going 3-7 in the last 10.  The division has come back to us.

IMO we still need a few things, but, and this might be the first time im saying this another frontline SP would be the smart move.  I wanted an impact bat, was hoping for somethin g like Goldschmidt but Cron is what we got. 

Were going to need to limit other teams till we get everyone back to score more runs, we dont really have room for another bat right now after recent deals. 

Yes, we need a backup C that can actually hit a little, and a replacement 4th OF wouldn't suck although Phillips is still in the org for that 4th and Cabbage can also play the OF, and 100% another leverage reliever. 

IF you could get Verlander for example, unlikely i know but if... youd have a front 3 as good as anyone in the game.   Maybe also get a reliever like Ottavino.

Others can likely offer more, no doubt, but that would be the coup Perry needs to make in my view.  

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Yes, we need a backup C that can actually hit a little, and a replacement 4th OF wouldn't suck although Phillips is still in the org for that 4th and Cabbage can also play the OF, and 100% another leverage reliever. 

Once Trout is back, they'll have four OFers, though. 

36 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You have 3 OF with 0 in minors to bring up. Who knows about Trout when he comes back. 2024 who knows about Ward and Renfroe a FA. We saw what happened when Ward went down Cabbage was in CF. Biggest need in my opinion is OF.

They can bring up Adams if they want a 4th OF. It’s not needed, though if Trout is back for Seattle or Tampa. 

43 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

There's a few areas the Angels could still improve. Like a better option than Wallach. A decent middle I fielder. Another reliever. Etc

That said, getting Drury, Trout and Neto back, and maybe Ohoppe, hopefully takes care of all of that. Hopefully it's sooner than later.

They will likely not go for a Catcher as they probably expect O’Hoppe to be back on Sept 1.  

Padlo came up for Ward for one game, but did not play. Cabbage didn’t really get any balls hit his way in CF but that’s probably not where they want to play him.

With Grichuck and Cron coming in, who else gets optioned to minors? I think it’s probably Stefanic or Cabbage, but if they option Cabbage it’s still only three OF on the team. 

And with Neto hurting, it’s likely they need Rengifo and Velazquez as SS options and  thus Stefanic as a 2B option. 

Does Neto go back to IL? 

When Drury returns, he’ll take Stefanic’s spot, right?