• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ward on IL with facial fractures, had surgery, is recovering

• jsnpritchett changed the title to Ward out of hospital, but on IL with facial fractures, Padlo called up

Any idea how long an injury like this will keep Ward out? Any idea on what surgery he'll need? It's a blessing the blow didn't impact his sight so it's just a case of healing, no matter how long it takes. I'm against that type of thing when it's an accident, but do you know if our guys retaliated for the hit by pitch?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Rengifo lately has gotten a lot more shit than his performance deserves. 

I agree. And with all the injuries, we need him mightily. The team may have to rethink Cabbage. He doesn't look like he's getting it done and I don't know how much of a look they can afford to give him. We already have Squid playing daily. The team can't afford another non-bat in the lineup especially with their schedule. 

54 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Any idea how long an injury like this will keep Ward out? Any idea on what surgery he'll need? It's a blessing the blow didn't impact his sight so it's just a case of healing, no matter how long it takes. I'm against that type of thing when it's an accident, but do you know if our guys retaliated for the hit by pitch?

You mean like Miles Mikolas did in this Cardinals game?

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

- no idea how long ward will be out. he was put on the 10 day IL so we'll have a clearer idea by the middle of next week.

- nevin said his eyesight is fine but didn't have an answer as to whether or not surgery was needed.

- there was no retaliation by the halos for this. there haven't been any comments about the idea of manoah throwing at him deliberately.

1 minute ago, Tank said:

- no idea how long ward will be out. he was put on the 10 day IL so we'll have a clearer idea by the middle of next week.

- nevin said his eyesight is fine but didn't have an answer as to whether or not surgery was needed.

- there was no retaliation by the halos for this. there haven't been any comments about the idea of manoah throwing at him deliberately.

I’m sure the doctors have to wait for the swelling and bruising to go down before anything definitive can be made.  The fact his vision is good, is a promising sign.  I’ve had my nose severally broken by a bad hop grounder in college that never fully healed correctly, despite 5 surgeries.

The thing Ward is going to have to overcome is the mental scarring that happens, post injury.  It’s extremely difficult.  Some recover, some don’t.

I know in my case, I never fully recovered from it, and I never played the game competitively ever again.  I played beer league softball (which can be very competitive also) but never baseball.

6 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

The thing Ward is going to have to overcome is the mental scarring that happens, post injury.  It’s extremely difficult.  Some recover, some don’t.

this has been on my mind a lot since i saw the video. memories of tony conigliaro have come to mind. he was a far better player than ward but just never could fully get back in the saddle after his horrible beaning. first and foremost, of course, is regaining his health and well-being. baseball is going to be a secondary issue. 

11 hours ago, Tank said:

this has been on my mind a lot since i saw the video. memories of tony conigliaro have come to mind. he was a far better player than ward but just never could fully get back in the saddle after his horrible beaning. first and foremost, of course, is regaining his health and well-being. baseball is going to be a secondary issue. 

The irony is that Tony C. had a strong 1970 season before the trade.   The eyesight must have deteriorated further after that season?