• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Next Move?

21 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I’m saying they’d need a Top 100 prospect guy, and the only one left is Schanuel, which ain’t happening (nor would O’Hoppe or Neto).

Verlander isn’t gonna be an Angel.

Schanuel can't be traded this soon after the draft. 

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

Honestly, I think we're done. At most there is a depth reliever move coming, but it won't be a big name, just another guy to hold down a spot until Devenski or Joyce come back.

The rotation is full... Ohtani, Giolito, Detmers, Sandoval, Canning, Anderson...and Silseth and Barria avail to spot start or plug in if someone's hurt. Suarez could come back into the fold too. The offense is stocked without any real clear spots to upgrade - it'd just be replacing someone we acquired a day ago at this point.

Sure, they could look at moving Sandoval or Canning, but I get a sense Perry is real hesitant to subtract anyone from the big-league club, both in a talent sense and clubhouse chemistry sense. Snell and Hader for a Sandoval makes the most sense - Snell is replaces Sandoval, Hader adds to pen, Padres get a good arm with control - but after sweeping Texas they're looking like they may try to sneak back into the race, and I don't think they ever really wanted to sell anyways. They've invested far too much into that team at this point and seem too stubborn to sell, even if makes the most team-building sense. Verlander feels like Houston or bust. I think he only picked NYM 'cause of the money. 

I know we can't assume everyone returns healthy, and that it'll be a numbers-crunch down the line if that day comes, but aside from maybe one pen spot....we're full between active roster and those theoretically returning. Maybe someone like Lugo or Lorenzen who could relieve and spot start in case someone goes down, but the demand for both is going to outweigh what we can offer someone who we really don't need

We have to be careful about stocking a staff that doesn't have optionable arms too. Soriano and Silseth are it right now, and they're contributing too much. Webb is probably expendable, but without Tucker he's also fine as the last guy on the staff.

We're down to one reliever or a catcher upgrade at most, I think. Anything further would be an extraordinary turn of fortunes in which we land a kick-ass SP on a crazy good deal; Sandoval+fringe prospect/guys like Walsh/Fletcher to St. Louis for Flaherty, Contreras' contract, maybe Gallegos....some sort of deal that one-stop shops a bunch of needs while hinging most of the value on one guy back. Highly, highly unlikely. But that move sets them up beautifully for a '23 run.

This is roughly my sentiment as well.  I do think if Perry can find a legit backend reliever though, he could pull off a trade.  If he does, then that reliever can take the spot of either Silseth or Soriano.  Given how Silseth looked in his last two starts here, I'd probably want to keep him stretched out as a SP in AAA, so that he can sub in whenever needed.

As you have rightly pointed out, it would be shocking to see everyone return to health, but assuming we somehow do, this is the roster we are looking at offensively:

C - O'Hoppe, Thaiss, Wallach

IF - Cron, Drury, Rengifo, Neto, Moose, Rendon, Escobar

OF - Moniak, Trout, Grichuk, Renfroe

DH - Ohtani

I left off guys who would be clearly optioned if players start returning (Velazquez, Stefanic, Adell).

We'd probably DFA Wallach to create roster space for O'Hoppe, which would be an easy fix.

The roster crunch would be in the infield, but all that said, I suspect Rendon is probably out for the year, so that somewhat alleviates that roster crunch.  I doubt Trout until at least towards the end of August.

But anyway, all that said - I think, as you said, our roster is likely full, with the exception of a reliever.

49 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This is roughly my sentiment as well.  I do think if Perry can find a legit backend reliever though, he could pull off a trade.  If he does, then that reliever can take the spot of either Silseth or Soriano.  Given how Silseth looked in his last two starts here, I'd probably want to keep him stretched out as a SP in AAA, so that he can sub in whenever needed.

As you have rightly pointed out, it would be shocking to see everyone return to health, but assuming we somehow do, this is the roster we are looking at offensively:

C - O'Hoppe, Thaiss, Wallach

IF - Cron, Drury, Rengifo, Neto, Moose, Rendon, Escobar

OF - Moniak, Trout, Grichuk, Renfroe

DH - Ohtani

I left off guys who would be clearly optioned if players start returning (Velazquez, Stefanic, Adell).

We'd probably DFA Wallach to create roster space for O'Hoppe, which would be an easy fix.

The roster crunch would be in the infield, but all that said, I suspect Rendon is probably out for the year, so that somewhat alleviates that roster crunch.  I doubt Trout until at least towards the end of August.

But anyway, all that said - I think, as you said, our roster is likely full, with the exception of a reliever.

My concern is OF. If Trout does not come back until end of August using Moniak, Grichuk and Renfroe. Rengifo becomes 4th OF. Many do not like him in OF. Nothing on condition of Adell and Moniak due for a slump. 

8 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

My concern is OF. If Trout does not come back until end of August using Moniak, Grichuk and Renfroe. Rengifo becomes 4th OF. Many do not like him in OF. Nothing on condition of Adell and Moniak due for a slump. 

A valid concern, but we just have to bridge the gap until Trout comes back.  I think with Drury's return likely imminent, that frees up Rengifo to move around more.  Given how good he has been offensively of late, he could start to see some time in the OF.  It ultimately comes down to how long Trout is expected to be out, though.  

45 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

A valid concern, but we just have to bridge the gap until Trout comes back.  I think with Drury's return likely imminent, that frees up Rengifo to move around more.  Given how good he has been offensively of late, he could start to see some time in the OF.  It ultimately comes down to how long Trout is expected to be out, though.  

I think Minasian gets another BP piece I would like Bard or even Lorenzen if he would work out of BP. Canning gets put on IL.

Kinda wonder if we see Fletcher get moved to Arizona. They have capacity to take on his contract, and just lost a little infield depth moving Bliss and Rojas. It'd get him and his brother together after their dad passed. Obviously not a primary motivator for a deal, but a good reason still. 

Arizona doesn't really have any money we'd be eating back, but Mantiply and Chafin could be available. Angels eat Fletcher money or add a middling prospect and snag one of them for the pen?

12 hours ago, Trendon said:

yeah, the Angels don't fit for a Verlander deal.

as @totdprods said, the Mets are going to want to do a version of the Scherzer deal where they pay down some of his salary and buy a top 100 prospect.

The Mets also want to compete next year though. I could see them trading for a controllable pitcher plus protect(s). If the Angels included Canning or Sandoval, they wouldn't need to include a top 100 type prospect and then it immediately fills a need at SP for the next 2-3 years for the Mets. Not sure that's what they are looking for, but it makes sense to me.

2 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

The Mets also want to compete next year though. I could see them trading for a controllable pitcher plus protect(s). If the Angels included Canning or Sandoval, they wouldn't need to include a top 100 type prospect and then it immediately fills a need at SP for the next 2-3 years for the Mets. Not sure that's what they are looking for, but it makes sense to me.

I think they'd just as much prefer a Top 100 prospect and then signing one of the many FA SPs this winter. Money is no issue to them, so the 'value' of Sandoval/Canning replacing Verlander is close too moot, IMO. 

Like with the Scherzer deal, they're going to be trying to find a future top prospect star in a deal for Verlander. They can replace him with any guy via SP this winter.

48 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Kinda wonder if we see Fletcher get moved to Arizona. They have capacity to take on his contract, and just lost a little infield depth moving Bliss and Rojas. It'd get him and his brother together after their dad passed. Obviously not a primary motivator for a deal, but a good reason still. 

Arizona doesn't really have any money we'd be eating back, but Mantiply and Chafin could be available. Angels eat Fletcher money or add a middling prospect and snag one of them for the pen?

They won't give up anything of value as he's passed through waivers twice now, and been outrighted, meaning any team can just take him, right?

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think they'd just as much prefer a Top 100 prospect and then signing one of the many FA SPs this winter. Money is no issue to them, so the 'value' of Sandoval/Canning replacing Verlander is close too moot, IMO. 

Like with the Scherzer deal, they're going to be trying to find a future top prospect star in a deal for Verlander. They can replace him with any guy via SP this winter.

Yeah I guess it would come down to how much they like them. To me it's not about the money. SP isn't easy to come by even if money is no object. On the open market you aren't guaranteed anything. Next FA class has some decent pitchers hitting the market, but not a ton. Most are dependent on opt outs. And like always, there will be tons of competition. And as we all know, players often choose where to play for other reasons than just money. So guaranteeing a mid rotation starter for the next 2 or 3 seasons is a big deal.

Also, keep in mind that Canning and Sandoval were both Eppler guys.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They won't give up anything of value as he's passed through waivers twice now, and been outrighted, meaning any team can just take him, right?

Only when he's on waivers can he be claimed. 

The D'Backs didn't have a need either time he was on waivers...they just moved Rojas from the MLB club to Seattle, Bliss was a AA/AAA midinfielder, and Canzone was more an OF, but Fletcher seemingly could offer the same OF coverage he did. He gives them cheap infield depth, and it's a better 'human' move than leaving him just burning up time in SLC while being paid millions...and it doesn't hurt Arizona's playoff hopes this year. Throw in the loss of their dad and there could be some energy getting them together.

Halos eat half the remaining money (not much) and take on maybe Mantiply or someone, throw in a Jeremiah Jackson-esque prospect, whatever. 

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Only when he's on waivers can he be claimed. 

The D'Backs didn't have a need either time he was on waivers...they just moved Rojas from the MLB club to Seattle, Bliss was a AA/AAA midinfielder, and Canzone was more an OF, but Fletcher seemingly could offer the same OF coverage he did. He gives them cheap infield depth, and it's a better 'human' move than leaving him just burning up time in SLC...and it doesn't hurt Arizona's playoff hopes this year. Throw in the loss of their dad and there could be some energy getting them together.

Halos eat half the remaining money (not much) and take on maybe Mantiply or someone, throw in a Jeremiah Jackson-esque prospect, whatever. Could see it happening to save them a few bucks

Yeah, I just meant they could've grabbed him twice if they wanted to talk on the money. If it was enough to get them under the tax, I would definitely do it. 

56 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They traded for Jace Peterson from Oakland last night to fill this role.

20 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yeah, I just meant they could've grabbed him twice if they wanted to talk on the money. If it was enough to get them under the tax, I would definitely do it. 

I believe both instances were before their father had passed, and obviously before their trades yesterday.

All I’m saying is I could see some discussion there to get the brothers together. 

Doesn’t seem Fletcher has much of a future here and I can’t imagine he toils away in SLC for years getting paid millions. He will get moved or released eventually, and recent events make sense for this to be the when and where. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I believe both instances were before their father had passed, and obviously before their trades yesterday.

All I’m saying is I could see some discussion there to get the brothers together. 

Doesn’t seem Fletcher has much of a future here and I can’t imagine he toils away in SLC for years getting paid millions. He will get moved or released eventually, and recent events make sense for this to be the when and where. 

Not the second time, and yes I agree.