• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you give Phil Nevin a Contract Extension?

Would you extend Nevin?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give Phil Nevin an Extension?

Even if you like Nevin, there is no reason for an extension right now.  He is under contract.

If the team falls apart, he is gone.

If the team wins the World Series, he will want to stay anyway, so it won’t be hard to keep him.

So why bother trying to solve a problem right that you don’t have?

11 hours ago, Jay said:

In retrospect that was really the beginning of the end, when Arte changed his mind about selling. Everything made perfect sense up to that point. No long-term deals. Extend Ohtani for one year, sign Nevin for one year, but then...

I'm far from the biggest Moreno hater on here. (I've actually defended him most of the time, and still like him...)

But holy sh*t...

Backing out on selling, "just because" was such a bad move.

I'm not saying he needed to go crazy on spending to justify staying. Look at the Mets and Padres for how bad of an idea that could be. 

But to shock everyone by staying, and basically going status quo is literally the next chapter in the book for.how bad the org has been run the past decade.

Couple that with Ohtani as good as gone at this point, and getting nothing from that....

.... with Arte staying on past Ohtani...

Gonna bug the shit out of everyone for years.

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

I don't see much difference between Nevin's in game decisions and anyone else. 

So yes, extend him. Or don't. I don't care. It won't change the outcome of the game or the team. 

Agreed. I can't blame him for anything off the top of my head. Any guy replacing him will depend on Ohtani hitting home runs, then hoping Rendon lasts a week. Pen doesn't Angel pen. Etc etc.

Even the early versions of AI could replace him and nothing would change.

9 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

It remains unclear to me how much a manager really matters or impacts wins and losses. That said, while Maddon liked to play 4-D chess in odd ways and Sosh was stubbornly set in his ways and overly enamored with 80s-style small-ball, I don't remember nightly head-scratchers from either one like we see from Nevin - moves that people regularly say "WTF" to as they're happening and before anything goes wrong. With Sosh and Maddon, it was usually after the fact: "Well, that turned out to be a dumb call." With Nevin it is more like, "This won't go well" - and it often doesn't.

But really, the focus should be more on the GM. The GM constructs the roster and is ultimately responsible for the talent on the field. A couple factors make it tricky to analyze: inheritance from past GMs and owner role (including payroll). So while we cannot lay everything solely on the GM's door-step, they tend to have the most say in how good a team is than anyone else in the organization.

Before you say, "But if the owners don't open their vault, they can't build a good team," look at the Athletics over the last three decades or the Rays or other teams that find a way to intelligently build good teams, again and again, despite lower payrolls. Even the Astros have had a similar or lower payroll than the Angels over the last eight years, and we see very different outcomes.

Any halfway decent manager can lead a talented team to victories. If Nevin had a good team, he could only do so much damage. And the best manager in the world won't make a mediocre team great. There is no proof that Nevin's tough guy mentality has been any better or worse than Maddon's touchy-feely vibe. The team just isn't good enough and the minor league system just isn't producing adequate talent. 

I fully agree with this.  Managers do have an impact, but it is a much smaller impact in this era of time when a lot of the decisions are made in the FO, not on the field.

As I mentioned in other threads, I do think that it is rather difficult for GMs to oversee quick, immediate change.  The only way to really see that happen would be for a GM to inherit a team in the middle of a teardown already, and then accelerate it.  Anthopoulus gets a lot of credit in ATL, but that team was already several years into rebuilding when he took over.

I think Minasian is on the right track to the extent that someone in his shoes could be.  He is working for an owner who refuses to rebuild and conduct a fire sale, which means that the GM has to keep adding.  He inherited a rather weak farm system and a team that had multiple albatross-type contracts on the payroll, as well as a lot of money committed to a star who was actually performing (albeit hurt a fair amount).

When you take all those factors together, inevitably it would be hard for any GM to truly turn around a franchise quickly.  Minasian has made some rather solid moves, such as signing Estevez, trading Syndergaard for Moniak, flipping Marsh for O'Hoppe, and so on.  I think he (or rather the guys he has hired) drafted rather well in 2022, and we'll see how 2023 looks.

Unfortunately, it is "too late" in terms of retaining Ohtani, but that does not mean all is lost.  He can likely get some very solid prospects who can make an immediate impact in trading Ohtani, and he can spread the money savings around in the offseason to help fuel depth in the same way that he did this last offseason.

Hiring a new manager will help, although I don't think it'll make that much of a difference in the end.