• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

mmc

4 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

He should, but JV has a full no-trade clause. 

Given that JV has ties to Los Angeles, and given that the Angels do have baseball's greatest star, I think there's a solid shot he'd waive his no-trade clause to come here.  Not a given like it'd be with the Astros or Dodgers, but I think there's a good shot for it.

37 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not understand upgrade at catcher with O'Hoppe coming back. My view is only having 3 OF and who knows when Trout is coming back. Rengifo is 4th OF now. If any injury to Renfroe, Moniak or Grichuk halos in trouble. 

And any injury to a catcher now means we have to DFA someone to add Oaky (or whatever his name is) to catch. The Angels can get away with Rengifo in the outfield. If they had to call up Fletcher and put him in the outfield they could. Trout coming back and being productive is a MUCH better bet than O’Hoppe coming back and returning to form. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And any injury to a catcher now means we have to DFA someone to add Oaky “or whatever his name is) to catch. The Angels can get away with Rengifo in the outfield. If they had to call up Fletcher and put him in the outfield they could. Trout coming back and being productive is a MUCH better bet than O’Hoppe coming back and returning to form. 

This is why we made the deal for Grichuk.  Ward's injury had us in a bind.  I wouldn't mind a swap of one of our MINF types for another OF.  And, maybe another bullpen arm. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And any injury to a catcher now means we have to DFA someone to add Oaky “or whatever his name is) to catch. The Angels can get away with Rengifo in the outfield. If they had to call up Fletcher and put him in the outfield they could. Trout coming back and being productive is a MUCH better bet than O’Hoppe coming back and returning to form. 

Very unlikely you find a catcher on the market that would be productive. O'Hoppe, Thaiss and Wallach would be solid. You would just have to DFA Wallach and hope he is unclaimed. He has in the past. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If you trade for a catcher now, wouldn’t it be the same deal? You’d likely have to DFA someone, and that might be Wallach, unless you want to carry 3 catchers for all of August….

5 minutes ago, DMVol said:

If you trade for a catcher now, wouldn’t it be the same deal? You’d likely have to DFA someone, and that might be Wallach, unless you want to carry 3 catchers for all of August….

If Wallach is out of options then yes. At the same time what are the odds he gets picked up if he’s DFA’d? 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If Wallach is out of options then yes. At the same time what are the odds he gets picked up if he’s DFA’d? 

I thought you were reluctant to DFA Wallach? Maybe a decent chance he gets claimed…..smaller market team in the playoff hunt looking for a cheap option might grab him. 

Re: catcher…

If you can nab a vet backstop on the cheap, go for it. Keep Wallach, vet, and Thaiss for now. Thaiss kicks Stefanic or Escobar off the roster for now. Give him a breather, he’s never caught this volume before and has to be running on fumes, and his offense at least reflects that. He can get the occasional start behind plate, serve as a PH, and take some of Escobar’s playing time. Keep Wallach for now to maintain depth until O’Hoppe is activated. 

When Logan returns, Wallach can be DFAed and maybe he slips through to AAA and resumes being the ‘first guy up’ if anyone gets hurt.

Vet experience behind the plate is big this time of year.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Re: catcher…

If you can nab a vet backstop on the cheap, go for it. Keep Wallach, vet, and Thaiss for now. Thaiss kicks Stefanic or Escobar off the roster for now. Give him a breather, he’s never caught this volume before and has to be running on fumes, and his offense at least reflects that. He can get the occasional start behind plate, serve as a PH, and take some of Escobar’s playing time. Keep Wallach for now to maintain depth until O’Hoppe is activated. 

When Logan returns, Wallach can be DFAed and maybe he slips through to AAA and resumes being the ‘first guy up’ if anyone gets hurt.

Vet experience behind the plate is big this time of year.

That is why I want to keep Wallach been with staff all year. You can get a catcher on minor league deal, I;m Okey with that.