• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Acquiring players based on outlier seasons

Both Renfroe and Anderson were seemingly acquired based on outlier seasons.

Anderson’s outlier year is well known, and although he has improved recently, is there enough confidence in him going forward through 2025?

Renfroe’s OPS with RISP (.833) was a not so noticeable outlier in 2022.   Otherwise, he has never exceeded a .748 OPS with RISP in any season, and only has a .500 OPS with RISP so far in 2023.   Career OPS with RISP is just .691.    Not the best use of $11 million

Acquiring players based on outlier seasons can definitely be risky, especially if making at least $11 million for the season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

How so with Renfroe?  He’s averaged 26 homers and a 110 OPS+ in his full seasons. But yes if you pick one singular stat and use that as your barometer, even though the team probably didn’t use that stat as the reason, then you are right. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

How so with Renfroe?  He’s averaged 26 homers and a 110 OPS+ in his full seasons. But yes if you pick one singular stat and use that as your barometer, even though the team probably didn’t use that stat as the reason, then you are right. 

Maybe, just stating an important stat.

For the acquisitions that were made this past offseason, I think the only person that may have been signed because of an outlier season was Brandon Drury. But he has turned out to be a good signing in my opinion. Better than I could have hoped for because I considered him to be Zach Cozart 2.0. Renfroe, I believe was a stop gap acquisition to stabilize the outfield some more while giving Adell another year in the minors without any pressure to be in the majors and justify his 1st round draft status and top prospect pedigree. For Anderson, I believe the Angels wanted to sign him before his breakout with the Dodgers last year so I don't think that his outlier was the sole reason. 

But I get where the idea that we're signing players after only one great season comes from. It's been the history of the team.