• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward

BTH

I found something interesting about Taylor Ward, which I think explains why many people have been frustrated with him despite him having above-average numbers the last month:

Ward ranks dead last in MLB in WPA (Win Probability Added) at -2.34.

For those unfamiliar with WPA, here's a summary from FanGraphs: "Win Probability Added (WPA) captures the change in Win Expectancy from one plate appearance to the next and credits or debits the player based on how much their action increased their team’s odds of winning." https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/wpa/

So why is this the case?

Bases Empty: .745 OPS; Men on Base: .594 OPS; RISP: .434 OPS

Low Leverage: .857 OPS; Med Leverage: .619 OPS; High Leverage: .188 OPS

I went back and looked, and Ward actually had a higher OPS with RISP than the bases empty or men on base in 2022. So I'm not sure why the results are different this season. Is it sequencing/bad luck?

Or does his poor approach with RISP have something to do with it?

From the OC Register last month:

Count Angels outfielder Taylor Ward among those who believe a hitter shouldn’t do anything different with a runner in scoring position.

“I think the worst thing you can do is have a different approach or thought process,” Ward said. “When you realize there’s runners in scoring position, I think that puts added pressure on you and that thought isn’t good.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/06/05/angels-expect-anthony-rendons-return-to-boost-performance-with-runners-in-scoring-position/

20 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I found something interesting about Taylor Ward, which I think explains why many people have been frustrated with him despite him having above-average numbers the last month:

Ward ranks dead last in MLB in WPA (Win Probability Added) at -2.34.

For those unfamiliar with WPA, here's a summary from FanGraphs: "Win Probability Added (WPA) captures the change in Win Expectancy from one plate appearance to the next and credits or debits the player based on how much their action increased their team’s odds of winning." https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/wpa/

So why is this the case?

Bases Empty: .745 OPS; Men on Base: .594 OPS; RISP: .434 OPS

Low Leverage: .857 OPS; Med Leverage: .619 OPS; High Leverage: .188 OPS

I went back and looked, and Ward actually had a higher OPS with RISP than the bases empty or men on base in 2022. So I'm not sure why the results are different this season. Is it sequencing/bad luck?

From the OC Register last month:

Count Angels outfielder Taylor Ward among those who believe a hitter shouldn’t do anything different with a runner in scoring position.

“I think the worst thing you can do is have a different approach or thought process,” Ward said. “When you realize there’s runners in scoring position, I think that puts added pressure on you and that thought isn’t good.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/06/05/angels-expect-anthony-rendons-return-to-boost-performance-with-runners-in-scoring-position/

Interesting.

Luck could also be a factor here: this year Ward has a .276 BABIP (batting avg on balls in play), which is 49 points below last year (.325) and 30 points below the MLB average (.305).

12 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Interesting.

Luck could also be a factor here: this year Ward has a .276 BABIP (batting avg on balls in play), which is 49 points below last year (.325) and 30 points below the MLB average (.305).

It plays some factor in why his numbers are worse this season, but I don't think it explains why he has struggled so much with RISP and in high leverage spots.

26 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It plays some factor in why his numbers are worse this season, but I don't think it explains why he has struggled so much with RISP and in high leverage spots.

His BABIP with RISP is even worse:

Season Leverage BB%

K%

BB/K

AVG

OBP

SLG

OPS

ISO

BABIP

wRC

wRAA

wOBA

wRC+

2023 Low Leverage 10.8% 18.9% 0.57 .302 .392 .465 .857 .163 .354 25 7.1 .377 141
2023 Medium Leverage 7.1% 18.6% 0.38 .212 .276 .343 .619 .131 .229 13 -6.1 .271 68
2023 High Leverage 3.7% 37.0% 0.10 .077 .111 .077 .188 .000  .125 -2 -5.0 .091 -57

Ward said. “When you realize there’s runners in scoring position, I think that puts added pressure on you and that thought isn’t good.”

I believe Taylor just explained the reason for us very succinctly.

4 minutes ago, TurboFan said:

Ward said. “When you realize there’s runners in scoring position, I think that puts added pressure on you and that thought isn’t good.”

I believe Taylor just explained the reason for us very succinctly.

So he's unclutch? 

10 minutes ago, Jason said:

So he's unclutch? 

That is what Trendon implied. Just quoting Taylor on how he feels about his own approach, which could explain it. Even if he has been unclutch lately, he can go back to clutch quickly, I hope.

24 minutes ago, Trendon said:

That gives you some hope it’ll even out and there will be positive regression.

The worrying aspects are the walks and strikeouts in high leverage situations. Facing some high class relievers in some of those  situations won't help, but even so, he walks a third as much and strikes out twice as much when you compare his high and low leverage situations.

It reads to me like he is doing something different in clutch situations, but he is also having some terrible luck with that .125 BABIP.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

Are you suggesting that his mental approach in 2023 is different than it was in 2022? 

Just one thought. I think BABIP = luck is a bit overused. Over the course of hundreds of plate appearances, it tends to equalize. A full-time player hits something like 500 balls in play every year (plus or minus), and while it may fluctuate, it isn't all--or maybe not even mostly--luck. Luck is minimized over 100s of at-bats.

I think quality of contact has something to do with it - not just how hard you hit it, but at what angle, whether you're barreling, etc. Line-drives tend to drop for hits more than long, slow flies. Meaning, line-drives > grounders and pop flies, and lower than normal BABIPs might imply that a player is hitting over or under the ball, and thus maybe it has more to do with seeing the ball, timing, mechanics, etc.

Here's a fun fact: Trout has the highest career BABIP (.346) among all players with at least 350 HR. Goldschmidt (330 HR, .348 BABIP) and Hornsby (301 HR, .365 BABIP) are the only players with 300+ HR and higher BABIPs than Trout.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Are you suggesting that his mental approach in 2023 is different than it was in 2022? 

I think it's possible, yes. Something has got to be different.

How else can you explain such a huge drop-off? It can't just be bad luck or sequencing, can it?

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

How else can you explain such a huge drop-off? It can't just be bad luck or sequencing, can it?

Like many Angels hitters, he turtles in high leverage situations. And we already know this team struggles with all mental aspects of the game. 

44 minutes ago, Trendon said:

First, with that BABIP there is some bad luck. 

Second, in general a player will say the right thing a lot more often than he’ll do the right thing.

So, which seems more likely:

A) After a very successful year, he consciously tried to do something different?

B) He is still trying to do what he did last year, but he’s not doing it correctly.

I’m taking B.

Also, I looked up some numbers that suggest this year he’s swinging more and chasing more with runners in scoring position, which is probably the exact thing he was talking about avoiding in the quote you referred to. It makes sense to me that he’s slumping so he puts more pressure on himself to come through in big spots and that makes it even worse  

25 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Time to move on from Ward. 

5 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

5 Outfielders on the 40 man roster, and one of them just got hurt.  Another one is being used as an infielder.  The math says that isn't going to happen. 

It's definitely time to lower expectations, by a lot.