• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Eduardo Escobar from the Mets for Landon Marceaux and Coleman Crow

mmc

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

Does anyone really know who Crow and Marceaux are?

Yeah man Russell and that French dude that hangs out with him all the time.

Party with them all the time..crazy dudes!

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

This feels Dipoto-ish, a trade that uses up two prospects to look like you are doing something as a GM. 

And on top of it, having the Mets pay his remaining salary?

Is Moreno that steadfast against paying the tax EVER?

Edited by Angel Oracle

The old saying by coach George Allen of the Washington Redskins applies. "The future is now."  Going exclusively with veterans and not thinking down the road. Didn't help in the 1972 Superbowl,  but at least they got there.

Moves made since the off season are for winning this season. Trying to break the playoff jinx and give Ohtani a taste of a contending experience. Making trades now to acquire prospects would be an admission of giving up. And preparing for a future without Ohtani. 

Unfortunately that approach may be forced on Perry if the team doesn't make progress in the next six weeks. But at the present this trade is pragmatic and serves a need. An experienced veteran with a solid track record at no cost who can play positions of immediate need. Certainly should help the batting order.

The Angels have had the most players used on a roster this season. 46 so far I heard. Obviously injuries have the biggest cause, but they have to keep plugging away doing the best they can.

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

Does anyone really know who Crow and Marceaux are?

Of the two prospects that we gave up, I'm more saddened to lose Crow over Marceaux. 

My thought on Crow was that he would make a good 6th/7th inning guy whose heat could play up more in short bursts. Mostly 91-94, but could hit 95-96 and I thought in relief, he'd pitch mostly at that velo. I didn't think he'd get a long look here, as he is generously listed at 6'0" (my guess is closer to 5'10), and we have had a general bias against pitchers smaller than 6'0" going back to Scioscia (remember Steven Geltz?). He had 4 pitches, but could as a reliever could focus on his FB and SL while dropping an occasional change and curve.

Marceaux I saw as a back end starter/up and down guy, or long reliever. Very low 90s heat, pitch to contact guy who has to be on his command. He has a strong competitive spirit and presence, so plays up a bit, with a good floor, but not a high ceiling. He should see time in the Majors, but I felt that Crow had the higher upside overall. 

As someone who watched Escobar on the Mets he is a poor fielding 3B with low mobility who is also a poor LH hitter which is most of the time vs. RHP.  He plays a poor 2B also.

Escobar vs. RHP .180 BA .222 OBP .502 OPS 

He was cherry picked and used primarily vs LHP recently and against favorable matchups.

He has been awful for the Mets except for a resurgence September of 2022.

Respected as a good clubhouse guy and stats were negatively affected by marital issues.

34 minutes ago, Robrock30 said:

As someone who watched Escobar on the Mets he is a poor fielding 3B with low mobility who is also a poor LH hitter which is most of the time vs. RHP.  He plays a poor 2B also.

He was cherry picked and used primarily vs LHP recently and against favorable matchups.

Respected as a good clubhouse guy and stats were negatively affected by marital issues.

Thanks for this.  Sounds like a definite downgrade from Urshela defensively.

8 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

Escobar stats:

2019: 158 games; 35 HR; 111 OPS+; 2.9 fWAR

2021: 146 games; 28 HR; 109 OPS+; 2.6 fWAR

2022: 136 games; 20 HR; 107 OPS+; 2.3 fWAR

That reads like a very solid player who is now on a slow decline. Not bad for a couple of depth arms and $250k. Nice job, Perry.

2019 everyone hit bombs.

He and Fletcher are better then Vazquez and Padlo so I guess that's good. 

This could sting in a few years like the bundy trade

3 hours ago, Robrock30 said:

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

On 6/23/2023 at 8:22 PM, Blarg said:

This feels Dipoto-ish, a trade that uses up two prospects to look like you are doing something as a GM. 

Absolutely does from a straight potential value  POV, I was pretty high on Crow.  But it IS worth noting that Escobar has a team option for next year at 9.5 mil, basically the money they were paying Urshela this year.  So, if things work out/he plays well they at least have that Urshela spot locked up if they so please.