• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

(Very) Cautious Optimism

m0nkey

Heading into the off day tomorrow, June 19, and the Angels have a game lead on sole possession of second place coming off a 5-2 road trip, including a 3-1 series win against the first place Rangers.  

Yes there have been the classic Angels moments this season when things were looking good (losing the first three games in Fenway in April, losing the first three to Houston on the road a couple weeks ago, getting swept at home by the Marlins, blowing a 6 run lead to the Royals yesterday, etc.), but I think any one of us would have signed up for 41-33 after 74 games.  

Recent history would have you think it's only a matter of time until things collapse, but until then, let's ride!

Picking up a starting pitcher in a trade, while hanging on to Moniak, would be a huge lift. Yeah the bullpen had a meltdown yesterday so an addition would also help the cause. I think Trout just being Trout would help this team get through the dog-days of summer. Team has some good depth so watching some meaningful games in September is looking like a possibility. As Angel fans we’ve more than paid our dues. 

Yes, this recent play is very encouraging. Right now, my main concern is the health of the infield and the SP. I also think they should target a mid-tier 1B (.750ish OPS) at the deadline unless Walsh turns it around. That and a SP - Stroman as others have suggested would be great.

Sounds like Matt Moore should be back sooner rather than later to bolster the pen which has turned it around in a huge way since the early struggles.

7 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

Yes, this recent play is very encouraging. Right now, my main concern is the health of the infield and the SP. I also think they should target a mid-tier 1B (.750ish OPS) at the deadline unless Walsh turns it around. That and a SP - Stroman as others have suggested would be great.

Sounds like Matt Moore should be back sooner rather than later to bolster the pen which has turned it around in a huge way since the early struggles.

It would not hurt to pick up someone that can play 3rd as 1st if available.  If only Rengifo would live up to his potential, that would help a lot.  Cut down on boneheaded plays and give us that .750 level OPS.  Absolutely grab the best starter available, preferably one that would pitch in the playoffs.

Ohtani, Trout, and Goldshmidt are going to carry this team a long way!

See what I did there?

It would be pretty crazy waking up on a Monday morning and finding out Goldshmidt is on the team.

Getting Matt Moore back will be a big help. Bullpen has been used a lot so finding another BP would help, maybe a Scott Barlow. Another starter would also help as I like Barria in BP. My big concern going into second half is over use of BP. Pitchers like Devenski, Soriano and Webb have not made 65 to 70 appearances in a season in recent years. Nice to see Trout hit better and fingers still crossed Walsh can turn it around. If halos in race after all star break feel Moreno will give ok to Minasian to go for it and spend. I can see Angels very active at deadline.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Moniak will not net them a SP that will improve the rotation though 

Probably true....for context, I was responding to the post by @79CAAman..... A quality starting pitcher, even a rental, won't come cheap....you could probably trade Moniak in a similar deal (and pitcher) from last year, Thor....a year later, the Angels got the better of that trade but, even with his solid production, not sure Moniak would bring a better pitcher now than he did a year ago....I'd like to keep him and see how he does for the rest of the season.....but, again, if we're in solid contention a month from now, would I include him in a trade for the right pitcher?  I would....but it would probably need more parts for a quality pitcher....

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

Probably true....for context, I was responding to the post by @79CAAman..... A quality starting pitcher, even a rental, won't come cheap....you could probably trade Moniak in a similar deal (and pitcher) from last year, Thor....a year later, the Angels got the better of that trade but, even with his solid production, not sure Moniak would bring a better pitcher now than he did a year ago....I'd like to keep him and see how he does for the rest of the season.....but, again, if we're in solid contention a month from now, would I include him in a trade for the right pitcher?  I would....but it would probably need more parts for a quality pitcher....

You guys talk about these guys like they're cattle.

All you do on a ranch is reer, trade and sell.

Not much difference I guess.

Injuries and slumps always are big factors. With all teams. Sooner or later, depth gets tested. 

Neto's absence may be the biggest problem. His contribution at the bottom of the batting order was important, but now it's starting to look like last year. And with he,  Rendon and Urshella both out and Walsh seriously under performing, the infield looks nothing like it was supposed to be. But Walsh gave a glimmer of a hope with his homer. Maybe it will help his confidence. Rengifo in a season long slump hurts too. With any luck Rendon gets back in sooner rather than later and picks up some of the slack. And one would think based on his history that Trout will elevate his numbers closer to career expectations. Or at least better than they have been so far.

Of course you can never have enough pitching. Anderson has been improving, but still not steady enough to expect great things. Ohtani is in a class by himself, though not quite as dominant on the mound as last year. The other starters have had good and bad games. Not as consistent as you 'd like but overall, decent enough. Especially with an over achieving bull pen.

A veteran infielder or starting pitcher would help the depth. But not at a ridiculous cost. I wouldn't trade any of the young arms that are just getting started. Both catchers are doing as good as could be expected, but O'Hoppe is still the catcher of the future. I might trade one of Thaiss/Wallach if the return is enticing and give the other the bulk of the playing time. With a backup from the minors or a throw in from a trade. 

I don't think a blockbuster trade is needed unless the team slumps badly and the Ohtani's resigning suddenly looks very doubtful. But if things remain pretty much as they are with a legitimate chance for the playoffs, then optimism isn't out of place.

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

Injuries and slumps always are big factors. With all teams. Sooner or later, depth gets tested. 

Neto's absence may be the biggest problem. His contribution at the bottom of the batting order was important, but now it's starting to look like last year. And with he,  Rendon and Urshella both out and Walsh seriously under performing, the infield looks nothing like it was supposed to be. But Walsh gave a glimmer of a hope with his homer. Maybe it will help his confidence. Rengifo in a season long slump hurts too. With any luck Rendon gets back in sooner rather than later and picks up some of the slack. And one would think based on his history that Trout will elevate his numbers closer to career expectations. Or at least better than they have been so far.

Of course you can never have enough pitching. Anderson has been improving, but still not steady enough to expect great things. Ohtani is in a class by himself, though not quite as dominant on the mound as last year. The other starters have had good and bad games. Not as consistent as you 'd like but overall, decent enough. Especially with an over achieving bull pen.

A veteran infielder or starting pitcher would help the depth. But not at a ridiculous cost. I wouldn't trade any of the young arms that are just getting started. Both catchers are doing as good as could be expected, but O'Hoppe is still the catcher of the future. I might trade one of Thaiss/Wallach if the return is enticing and give the other the bulk of the playing time. With a backup from the minors or a throw in from a trade. 

I don't think a blockbuster trade is needed unless the team slumps badly and the Ohtani's resigning suddenly looks very doubtful. But if things remain pretty much as they are with a legitimate chance for the playoffs, then optimism isn't out of place.

Wow.  That was a pretty impressive internal debate you had with yourself there.  I have nothing to add, as you have pretty much covered all the angles and contingencies.  Nice work

Looking at the team offensively, they have a few guys that are slumping over the past few weeks and a few that are red hot. 

Trout and Ohtani obviously get the lions share of the headlines. Ohtani has been red hot MVP player, and Trout was mired in a big slump until this past week.

Ohtani has a 1.626 OPS in the past two weeks, and a 1.439 OPS in June no that's not a typo.  Trout has been slumping with a .669 OPS in June, but a more Trout-like 1.022 OPS the past week.

Ward though has hit to a .977 OPS the past two weeks, and an .880 OPS this month.  Moniak is also hitting to an .886 OPS the past two weeks, and also in June. Unfortunately, Renfroe is at .552 the past two weeks and a .663 OPS in June.

In the infield Walsh has been slumping (.387 OPS), but Drury has been hot (.913 OPS). Rendon (.310 OPS) and Rengifo (.612) also have been struggling. Neto was also hot (1.154 OPS) before he went down with the oblique injury, but, and Velazquez did okay in four starts this weekend.

Going forward, with Rendon, Neto, and Urshela down, they clearly need Infield help, and this should be the priority in any June or early July Trade. Drury should play every day, wherever he can. 

So I'd prioritize an infielder who can play 2nd and 3rd, or a power hitting 1st baseman, which could be Walsh if he gets it together. Still, you most likely need to add someone here, so that's what I'd look at. 

And probably a Bullpen arm over a starter, though if you add an effective starter you could theoretically push someone back to the pen.

13 hours ago, REDneck said:

Ohtani, Trout, and Goldshmidt are going to carry this team a long way!

See what I did there?

It would be pretty crazy waking up on a Monday morning and finding out Goldshmidt is on the team.

I've been thinking about Goldschmidt too. What would you be willing to give up for him to become an Angel?

~ArkyAngelsFan~