• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The official LA Kings thread

Tank

I couldn't figure out how to edit the title of the other Kings thread so I'm starting a new one.

In a surprising announcement, the Kings said today they have not renewed the contract of tv play by play announcer Alex Faust. They're going to have Nick Nickson do a simulcast for both tv and their streaming service (they no longer have a radio station to broadcast games, in case you didn't know) and have Darryl Evans and Jim Fox as analysts. 

Faust had the unenviable job of replacing a legendary Hall of Famer, and I thought he did a solid job. He had his critics, of course, but he never bothered me.

That said, I'm glad to have Nickson back. Love his style and delivery, and any time I've had a chance to chat with him, he's been like an old friend. 

Hopefully he can replace the Ducks guy.  Heyward is fine.  But Ahlers is horrible as the play by play.  He keeps messing up the players, and keeps messing up plays.  Icing, I don't know why that was called off, as the goaltender moves to play it.  

Columbus Blue Jackets Acquire Ivan Provorov As Part Of Three-Team Trade

Philadelphia trades Ivan Provorov and Hayden Hodgson to Los Angeles in exchange for Calvin Petersen, Sean Walker, Helge Grans and the Kings’ 2024 second-round pick. Columbus acquires Kevin Connauton from Philadelphia in exchange for a 2023 first-round pick (22nd overall) and conditional second-round pick in either the 2024 or 2025 NHL Draft. Columbus acquires Provorov from Los Angeles in exchange for Connauton.

The Kings are retaining 30% of Provorov’s deal, meaning he’ll cost $4.725MM against the cap for Columbus for the next two seasons.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:20 PM, Tank said:

I couldn't figure out how to edit the title of the other Kings thread so I'm starting a new one.

In a surprising announcement, the Kings said today they have not renewed the contract of tv play by play announcer Alex Faust. They're going to have Nick Nickson do a simulcast for both tv and their streaming service (they no longer have a radio station to broadcast games, in case you didn't know) and have Darryl Evans and Jim Fox as analysts. 

Faust had the unenviable job of replacing a legendary Hall of Famer, and I thought he did a solid job. He had his critics, of course, but he never bothered me.

That said, I'm glad to have Nickson back. Love his style and delivery, and any time I've had a chance to chat with him, he's been like an old friend. 

So heartbroken over this. Faust is awesome 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, gotbeer said:

If the Kings present the most appealing package to acquire Dubois, Ken Wiebe of Sportsnet suggests that either Quinton Byfield or Gabe Vilardi would likely be the centerpiece of the trade, potentially accompanied by right-handed defenseman Sean Durzi.

i'd make that deal with byfield (not vilardi) in a new york minute.

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

The Jets would probably prefer Byfield since he has a higher ceiling and another year before reaching RFA but either he or Vilardi would be playing wing as long as Kopi and Danault are still the top 2 centers

i'd be all over that if i were the kings. i don't think byfield will become a top line player.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i'd be all over that if i were the kings. i don't think byfield will become a top line player.

But you used the second pick in the draft on him. If you bail on him and he becomes a star when you could have sent out a middle sixer for life instead you look pretty short sighted 

Arizona Coyotes acquire defenseman Sean Durzi from Los Angeles Kings

@deepdrive  For a second round pick, where we have 3 of, this is something Beeker should have done.  A RH, 6'0" defenseman.  24 years old, only making $1.7 million for a season.  Plus a Corsi and Fenwick over 50%.  Watch, instead he will do something stupid like signing Shattenkirk.   

44 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Arizona Coyotes acquire defenseman Sean Durzi from Los Angeles Kings

@deepdrive  For a second round pick, where we have 3 of, this is something Beeker should have done.  A RH, 6'0" defenseman.  24 years old, only making $1.7 million for a season.  Plus a Corsi and Fenwick over 50%.  Watch, instead he will do something stupid like signing Shattenkirk.   

Yeah, but we only have one that's better than the Kings pick and that being our only other reasonably high pick, I don't think he would give it up. A forward strong draft and we need forward prospects. It makes sense to keep that pick. But, we'll see who we get for it in a few days.

As far as Shattenkirk? Hey he helped us get the #2 overall pick. Maybe we owe him. I'm joking but, I would not be surprised if they gave him a one year deal (and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't).

I'm telling you, Verbeek feels like he has some runway and I think he's going to use it. Stephens @ the Athletic made a comment at the end of a question he answered recently about expecting another losing season like last year. Cronin said in his interview that he expected better results this season than Verbeek did. Guys close to Verbeek have a vibe that the winning isn't starting yet. Verbeek is a new GM and I don't thing he's willing to risk a false start to stop the losing before he has an excess of prospects.

56 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, but we only have one that's better than the Kings pick and that being our only other reasonably high pick, I don't think he would give it up. A forward strong draft and we need forward prospects. It makes sense to keep that pick. But, we'll see who we get for it in a few days.

As far as Shattenkirk? Hey he helped us get the #2 overall pick. Maybe we owe him. I'm joking but, I would not be surprised if they gave him a one year deal (and wouldn't be surprised if they didn't).

I'm telling you, Verbeek feels like he has some runway and I think he's going to use it. Stephens @ the Athletic made a comment at the end of a question he answered recently about expecting another losing season like last year. Cronin said in his interview that he expected better results this season than Verbeek did. Guys close to Verbeek have a vibe that the winning isn't starting yet. Verbeek is a new GM and I don't thing he's willing to risk a false start to stop the losing before he has an excess of prospects.

Problem is, you start accumulating all these prospects, and you become the Stoneman Angels.  Hording prospects, that don't pan out, and not trading to improve the team.  

11 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Problem is, you start accumulating all these prospects, and you become the Stoneman Angels.  Hording prospects, that don't pan out, and not trading to improve the team.  

We don't want to end up like the Angels. So, you make a good point. Which is why I've said we have to shop a couple of our defensive prospects at some point.

We draft better than we develop (historically). So, it probably makes sense to build the team by drafting and trading excess prospects.

Anyway, aren't we on the Kings thread? How about that quality #2 pick they just picked up? The Kings front office seems to be making some pretty solid decisions lately.

3 hours ago, deepdrive said:

We don't want to end up like the Angels. So, you make a good point. Which is why I've said we have to shop a couple of our defensive prospects at some point.

We draft better than we develop (historically). So, it probably makes sense to build the team by drafting and trading excess prospects.

Anyway, aren't we on the Kings thread? How about that quality #2 pick they just picked up? The Kings front office seems to be making some pretty solid decisions lately.

I've liked a lot of Blake's pickups over the last few years.  He really picks up solid players that will do well within the system.  And he's not afraid to trade players to make the team better.  

9 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I've liked a lot of Blake's pickups over the last few years.  He really picks up solid players that will do well within the system.  And he's not afraid to trade players to make the team better.  

I thought moving away from the guys that brought them 2 Stanley Cups would be a mistake. But, the present group has done very well so far. We should be heading towards some Kings/Ducks playoffs in 3-4 years. Good times.

Latest On Pierre-Luc Dubois, Los Angeles Kings

TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie reported this morning that the Los Angeles Kings “continue to pursue Pierre-Luc Dubois,” and The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta followed up reporting on a trade being worked on that would land Dubois in Los Angeles with “multiple players/pieces” going to Winnipeg, including forwards Gabriel Vilardi and Alex Iafallo. Sportsnet’s Ken Wiebe adds that he’s “expecting F Jansen Harkins to be involved” in a Dubois trade to Los Angeles as well.

Now, The Athletic’s Murat Ates has given a more firm indication that Dubois could be headed to California, reporting that the Kings and Dubois are “talking contract extension,” and although there are still things to be worked out regarding the deal and the exact trade, “things are well on their way” toward Dubois landing in Los Angeles.

53 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Not a fan at all of this trade 

wtf 

A long term deal is also supposedly in the works.  Dubois is a pretty good player, if he wants to play for you.  And for as much as he's been in the news and traded, he's only 24 years old.  Dubois has had 60 points 3 times already.  It's a big price, but looking at the stats, it's not that bad.  Vlardi was probably the biggest piece, but he's scored 40 pt once last season.  The three are really prospects that you gave up.  In the future, they might become something.  But you got a legit scorer entering his prime.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/duboipi01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/vilarga01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/i/iafalal01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kuparra01.html