• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Neto's first three weeks

Hubs

This Saturday, a game I am attending, will mark three weeks for Neto in the bigs, but I thought I'd take an early look to see how he's done. He's a slick fielder and that certainly has been on display.

I was surprised at the early season call up, after just 44 minor league games, but I knew he'd been a four year starter at Campbell and frankly the Angels had not had defensive success in the 13 games prior to his call up. Urshela had hit well as a SS, hitting .400 in the 7 games at the position, with a .823 OPS, and had been adequate defensively. But Fletcher was terrible hitting just .125 in his 8 games at the position. He'd also been adequate defensively. 

Neto is a very good shortstop, and so defensively they could've brought him up if that was what they wanted, but with Velazquez on the 40-man, you'd wonder why if it was just a defensive call up.

It certainly was not only for his defense.

I knew he had been hitting well lately, I guess I just didn't realize how well. After his 0-9 start, his first hit came in his third game. Still, he went just 1-16 over his first five games and 3-23 in his first seven, albeit with 5 HBP. Since that start, in his last 10 games, he's hit 12-34, for a .353 Average. He had his first walk, LOL, and two more HBP. 

Has been about as good as we could have hoped for up to this point.  League average offense (wRC+ of 100) and great defense.  Competitive at bats, hasn't really looked overmatched at all.  Already at around 0.5 WAR after 65 PAs.

Only one walk is a little concerning, but funny enough he has a .350 OBP with all his HBPs.  Once he taps into some of that power I think he'll end up a 4-5 WAR guy over the next couple years.

ZNet has been a breath of fresh air.  I like the kid and hope he continues to develop.  He's more than holding his own right now.

@Lou will hate that I called him ZNet....

It was a joke (albeit, a bad one)... a one time deal.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Name one team that goes through as many injuries to key players year in and year out?????

Just one!!!!

Like the Halos made some spirit pissed off over the freaking years!!!!

How is any team ever going to contend with this many injuries year in and year out???

look at the Yankees right now, they're going through way more injuries than the Angels.

Every team has injuries. Occasionally, a team will have a 2022 Guardians season where they had like 0 major injuries but that's an outlier.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Name one team that goes through as many injuries to key players year in and year out?????

Just one!!!!

How is any team ever going to contend with this many injuries year in and year out???

Check out Houston. 

44 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just one!!!!

With depth! 

If they lose tonight it won't be because Zeto was hurt.  If he's going to be out any long period of time then Rengifo needs to seize the opportunity that may come with it and prove he deserves a regular gig.

47 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just one!!!!

Chill. The. Fuck. Out.

Take a fucking break why don't you. JFC

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

With depth! 

If they lose tonight it won't be because Zeto was hurt.  If he's going to be out any long period of time then Rengifo needs to seize the opportunity that may come with it and prove he deserves a regular gig.

And if we win, we know why. 

Tepera.

I've watched as much video on Neto as anyone, I think, before he was promoted, and even I'm very surprised by what I'm seeing. 

The way he's carried himself, there's nothing too big for him. I've never seen a prospect walk in like he belongs like that before. 

Defensively, I knew he had a good arm but his actions are so much smoother and more athletic than I expected..

And finally, his two strike approach. I knew he got rid of the kick, and he had got very well, but I didn't anticipate it translate so will to the majors. 

He should be the starting shortstop for the next decade.