• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rengifo

mmc

Lots of people expected big things from Rengifo this year after his conclusion to last season, but he has really been struggling and is now out of options.  How much longer can he continue to produce the way he has before Minasian might choose to drop him from the roster, knowing he will aggressively drop players who aren't producing and there is real urgency to make the playoffs this year.  Or do you think he will eventually turn it around?

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

He's been disappointing so far for sure--but who else in the system would be a better alternative right now?  Clearly not Soto.  I think they'll stick with him for quite a while longer.

No one stands out now, unless they eventually feel Stefanic or Adell deserve a look.  

17 minutes ago, mmc said:

How much longer can he continue to produce the way he has before Minasian might choose to drop him from the roster, knowing he will aggressively drop players who aren't producing and there is real urgency to make the playoffs this year.  Or do you think he will eventually turn it around?

I'd look at it this way: Lamb provides even less value than Rengifo (less versatility, worse offense, worse defense, and worse 2022 season), yet he's still on the roster.

If/when Lamb is cut, then I think you can start wondering about Rengifo. And even then, like I said in my previous post, I think he'll have a longer leash since he at least excels in one category (147 wRC+ vs. LHP this season).

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I'd look at it this way: Lamb provides even less value than Rengifo (less versatility, worse offense, worse defense, and worse 2022 season), yet he's still on the roster.

If/when Lamb is cut, then I think you can start wondering about Rengifo. And even then, like I said in my previous post, I think he'll have a longer leash since he at least excels in one category (147 wRC+ vs. LHP this season).

I don't really factor in Lamb, to me he's just the placeholder for Walsh and I expect him to get dropped once he's back

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Lots of people expected big things from Rengifo this year after his conclusion to last season, but he has really been struggling and is now out of options.  How much longer can he continue to produce the way he has before Minasian might choose to drop him from the roster, knowing he will aggressively drop players who aren't producing and there is real urgency to make the playoffs this year.  Or do you think he will eventually turn it around?

I think Rengifo is having his role adjusted.  He grades out rather poorly defensively, such that he isn't really ideal as a regular starting 2B or 3B.  I think they are instead reserving him moreso to face LHP, and rotating his spot around the diamond (2B, LF, CF).  

I don't think he'll be let go.  But I think he'll play more sparingly and in more select spots, barring injury to others (which, as we have already seen, can/will occur).

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think Rengifo is having his role adjusted.  He grades out rather poorly defensively, such that he isn't really ideal as a regular starting 2B or 3B.  I think they are instead reserving him moreso to face LHP, and rotating his spot around the diamond (2B, LF, CF).  

I don't think he'll be let go.  But I think he'll play more sparingly and in more select spots, barring injury to others (which, as we have already seen, can/will occur).

I think he might be traded for a Catcher…..

4 hours ago, mmc said:

I don't really factor in Lamb, to me he's just the placeholder for Walsh and I expect him to get dropped once he's back

that makes sense, but like I said, I don’t think Rengifo’s roster spot is in jeopardy.

the guy I’m most concerned about is Drury. He needs to clean it up.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I kinda wonder if Rengifo could end up as a better outfield defender than infield defender.

In prior years, he’s just been thrown out there without much experience or reps in the OF.

His infield defense probably isn’t gonna get much better.

I think the reason they are playing Rengifo in the OF is to show his versatility more than utilize his versatility. A team seeing a guy that hits LHP well, has good speed, and can play multiple positions dreams of a playoff roster. The Angels don't NEED him to play in the OF. They want other teams to notice. I think he's a major trade candidate so long as he keeps hitting lefties well. Remember, a lot of teams make trades not for overall stats but for platoon/playoff scenarios. 

47 minutes ago, Revad said:

Rengifo is a possible trade chip so I can definitely see demonstrating his utility.  But I had thought the original plan was to get Rengifo, Walsh and Drury some starts in the OF while resting the regulars.  

Early in his career, Drury actually has some OF time, although he has always been primarily an INF'er.....

13 hours ago, Trendon said:

I kinda wonder if Rengifo could end up as a better outfield defender than infield defender.

In prior years, he’s just been thrown out there without much experience or reps in the OF.

His infield defense probably isn’t gonna get much better.

He's at -1 DRS for his career overall.   

I think the issue with Rengifo is that he sucks ass as a back up spot guy.  The only times he's done well is when he's seen steady play time.    Drury is a butcher at 3B and in the OF -- but he's done decently enough at 1st and 2B for his career..  For whatever reasons they have been giving ABs to the guy with the 2.8% walk rate, 31.9% K rate ,and -0.4 fWAR over the guy with the 14.3% walk rate, 23.2% K rate, and 0.1 fWAR

To be fair both guys have had a near equal number of at bats, neither had done well, but Rengifo has done less awful.

Lamb is likely the first to get the boot given the $ and upside.