• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shouldn't Trout be batting third?

IMO, I think in the long run, he will eventually be batting 3rd.  He just has too much power for the 1-2 spots.  Especially later in his career when he loses a step.  Hopefully he develops into a Bonds type player, except for the Roids and the losing.  

IMO, I think in the long run, he will eventually be batting 3rd. He just has too much power for the 1-2 spots. Especially later in his career when he loses a step. Hopefully he develops into a Bonds type player, except for the Roids and the losing.

This. I completely agree. I've been saying since last year that trout reminds me of pittsburg bonds. I doubt he ever turns into an equal power threat (juice), but he's the same 30/30 guy bonds was. I like the henderson comps, but I think bonds is closer.

For now though, I prefer him leading off. He is our best bet to get on base, and I'd like to maximize his at bats.

Aybar does not belong at the top of the order.

No he does not. With one small tweak this is probably our best possible lineup involing Hamilton: 

If it comes down to leading off or batting 2nd, I prefer him at leadoff.

If batting 3rd, I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup like this for a series or two:

Bourjos

Aybar

Trout

Trumbo

Pujols

Hamilton

Kendrick

Callaspo

Iannetta

Aybar

A few things I like about it. Grouping the speedy players together is good. But Aybar has a much much lower OBP than Bourjos so should be getting fewer at bats. Bourjos has hit hitting and getting on base at a high enough clip to justify staying in leadoff.

Trout batting second splits the difference between him getting the most at-bats (lead off) and most RBI opportunities (three spot). Since we don' tactaully have a good #2 hitter, this is a reasonable compromise.

The other things is we don't have Pujols batting immediately behind Trout and preventing him from stealing (only to hit into a ridiculous number of double plays)

If it comes down to leading off or batting 2nd, I prefer him at leadoff.

If batting 3rd, I wouldn't mind seeing a lineup like this for a series or two:

Bourjos

Aybar

Trout

Trumbo

Pujols

Hamilton

Kendrick

Callaspo

Iannetta

In a way, I would like to give Kendrick a shot at the 2 spot if Trout was third.  It would mean hopefully that Kendrick sees more fastballs, that he handles very well.  And I think he would handle the contact play well with Pete on base.  

Ocho, interesting thought about Pittsburgh Bonds - I hadn't thought of that.

As for batting order, it really doesn't matter all that much, although I'm a bit surprised to hear adherence to the old "RBI opportunities" argument. That said, I would prefer #2 then #1 then #3.

Best hitter on team and leads the team with .548 SLG%, ranked 10th in MLB.  No question he should be hitting 3rd.  Next closest is Trumbo @ 46th. 

Plus Albert Pujols needs to go down in the order, closer to his fellow underperforming multi-millionaire.  Pujols is 77th in SLG%, can't run, and kills a lot of potential rallys.

PB

Kendrick

Trout

Trumbo

Albert Pujols

Hamilton

Collapse

Conger (Iannetta can't hit)

Aybar

Better than 1 out and nobody on. We all know what Pujols/Hamilton are going to do behind him anyways.

Not only that, but nobody on base is usually means low leverage. Mike Trout is the least clutch player in baseball*. He actually managed to log a negative WPA despite hitting for the cycle, something which has never been done before. Low leverage with Mike Trout at the plate = B)

*To be fair he's not alone. The Angels are the least clutch team in baseball by a very wide margin.

Not only that, but nobody on base is usually means low leverage. Mike Trout is the least clutch player in baseball*. He actually managed to log a negative WPA despite hitting for the cycle, something which has never been done before. Low leverage with Mike Trout at the plate = B)

*To be fair he's not alone. The Angels are the least clutch team in baseball by a very wide margin.

Least clutch player in baseball? Definitely not. But he is far from clutch (at least this season), that's for sure.