• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Brett Phillips confident in new swing despite slow start

TEMPE, Ariz. — Brett Phillips spent the winter rebuilding his swing.

After a couple weeks of putting that swing to the test in big-league spring training games, Phillips concedes there’s still work to be done.

He is 1 for 19 with 11 strikeouts in Cactus League games.

“We knew this was going to be part of it, right?” Phillips said. “Trying to get 15 to 20 at-bats to get my timing down before we start assessing the mechanical things too deeply. Just getting back to seeing live pitching, because in the offseason it was all mechanical.”

Phillips, 28, signed with the Angels over the winter with a reputation for being outstanding defensively and one of the best, most energetic clubhouse presences in the majors.

That came with a career .188 average and .620 OPS.

Over the winter, though, Phillips began working out regularly with Trent Woodward, his former teammate in the Houston Astros’ system. Woodward had gained some attention last year for being instrumental in helping Taylor Ward – his former Fresno State teammate – to his breakout season.

Woodward, who has since been hired as an Angels hitting consultant, worked to help Phillips change the angle of his swing, among other things.

“There are 15 to 20 things I have corrected,” Phillips said. “It’s all new. It’s like picking up a baseball bat for the first time, but with baseball experience.”

Phillips remains “really confident,” he said, that the changes will show results as he gets his timing, which only comes with facing more big-league pitching this spring.

“In baseball, game speed is tough to replicate,” Phillips said. “We only have so many pitchers, and you can’t have them stand out there for 50 or 100 pitches so Brett Phillips can get his timing.”

Manager Phil Nevin also expressed confidence that Phillips just needs more at-bats in the spring to be the player the Angels need him to be. They signed him for his defense and speed, and just need him to hit well enough to be an occasional fill-in when one of the starters – Mike Trout, Hunter Renfroe and Ward – needs a day off.

“He’s certainly made some swing changes,” Nevin said. “You start facing live major-league pitching, it takes some time for you to get those things down. You got to keep trusting what that process is, keep trusting the stuff that you worked on. And it will show up in a game at some point.”

FACING THE USA

The Angels’ exhibition game Thursday against Team USA will offer a precious opportunity for a handful of Angels minor-leaguers.

The USA team does not have the same size roster as a major-league team during spring training, so the Angels are loaning them a few players to help them finish out the game.

Shortstop Zach Neto, infielder Jeremiah Jackson, outfielder Jordyn Adams and first baseman Trey Cabbage will all suit up for the USA.

“They’re going to have a blast being in the dugout with those guys for the whole game, getting in there later and being on the same field with them,” Nevin said. “A really good experience for all four of them. I know they’re looking forward to it. All their eyes lit up when I told them they were going to do that.”

The Angels are not expected to give any of their minor-league pitchers the chance to pitch against the star-studded USA lineup, though.

Left-hander Tyler Anderson will start the game, and Nevin said all the relievers scheduled to work are the Angels’ big-league relievers. Nevin said that was not planned, but it was “where the calendar fell.”

NOTES

Outfielder Ryan Aguilar has been out with an oblique injury, according to Nevin. The Angels are hoping they can get Aguilar back in time to get him into some big-league exhibitions before the end of the spring. Aguilar briefly reached the majors last year. He posted a .906 OPS at Double-A. …

Right-hander Sam Bachman, one of the Angels’ top pitching prospects, has been out with some general soreness, Nevin said, but he’s better now. Bachman threw a bullpen session Wednesday. Bachman struck out all three hitters he faced in his only big-league exhibition this spring on Feb. 26. …

Right-hander José Marte had also been held back because of some soreness, according to general manager Perry Minasian. Marte is also better now. He threw a bullpen session Wednesday. Marte has not pitched in a game this spring. …

Torii Hunter was in an Angels uniform as a special guest. Hunter, who spent five years with the Angels, said it was his first time back in camp in this role with the Angels. “His energy is the same as when he was a player,” Nevin said. “We played together for a short time but you can see it right away. The smile on his face. Guys just flocked to him. He’s a leader. Pick his brain. Whatever they want to do with him.”. …

Former Angels right-hander John Lackey and infielder Adam Kennedy have also been in camp this week as guests of Nevin.

View the full article

3 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

They signed him for his defense and speed, and just need him to hit well enough to be an occasional fill-in when one of the starters – Mike Trout, Hunter Renfroe and Ward – needs a day off.

I think this is the key with Phillips.

They shouldn't be relying on him to be much more than a defensive replacement and pinch-runner.

If a few of Fletcher/Drury/Urshela/Rengifo/Walsh can play a corner OF spot, with Ward and Renfroe being able to occasionally play CF, there shouldn't be any need to start Phillips.

Use him strictly as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement. If, say, Trout is off, you could put an infielder into a corner OF spot, move Ward or Renfroe to CF, and then put in Phillips as a defensive replacement for that infielder in the OF.

17 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think this is the key with Phillips.

They shouldn't be relying on him to be much more than a defensive replacement and pinch-runner.

If a few of Fletcher/Drury/Urshela/Rengifo/Walsh can play a corner OF spot, with Ward and Renfroe being able to occasionally play CF, there shouldn't be any need to start Phillips.

Use him strictly as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement. If, say, Trout is off, you could put an infielder into a corner OF spot, move Ward or Renfroe to CF, and then put in Phillips as a defensive replacement for that infielder in the OF.

Let Phillips work on that swing in minors. Moniak should be 4th OF. 

21 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

That would be throwing away &1.2 mil. To send him down, he would have to clear waivers. I think the team looks at Moniak more long term, as he has options. They want him to play everyday in SLC. Them they can use him to replace Phillips next season.

23 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

That would be throwing away &1.2 mil. To send him down, he would have to clear waivers. I think the team looks at Moniak more long term, as he has options. They want him to play everyday in SLC. Them they can use him to replace Phillips next season.

I want to win so have your best 26 on roster. Angels only team to offer him a major league deal. I do not think many teams would be after him. 

26 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Not going to get to work on swing sitting on bench. Best thing for him would be playing in minors.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Perhaps more important than the $1.2M, it'd be a horrible look to agents/players if the Angels told a guy he was gonna be the 4th outfielder and then cut him before the season starts.

That's the kind of thing that'd give you a bad rep among agents/players around the league and make players not want to sign here in the future.

19 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Perhaps more important than the $1.2M, it'd be a horrible look to agents/players if the Angels told a guy he was gonna be the 4th outfielder and then cut him before the season starts.

That's the kind of thing that'd give you a bad rep among agents/players around the league and make players not want to sign here in the future.

Nobody but Angels offered him a major league deal. So let's not have our best 26 on roster. Phillips 20 ab with 12 ks 1 hit. I think him being sent down would have ZERO impact on players signing here. Having 7 straight losing seasons does have an impact on signing players. Telling Phillips, he was going to be your OF was just DUMB.

51 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Nobody but Angels offered him a major league deal. So let's not have our best 26 on roster. Phillips 20 ab with 12 ks 1 hit. I think him being sent down would have ZERO impact on players signing here. Having 7 straight losing seasons does have an impact on signing players. Telling Phillips, he was going to be your OF was just DUMB.

Worrying about the first 20 at bats in spring training isn’t wise either.  If he doesn’t hit at all they will make a change, but the spring is young.

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

not if you go basically o'fer on the spring with a ton of K's. fringe guys get signed all the time and cut in the spring. i'm not advocating that, but angels1961 has a valid point.

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Monty Python Fight GIF

I’m not sure we’re appreciating how much Brett Phillips ABs typically end in outs, oftentimes of the K variety. Even in his terrific 2021 season he batted .206 with a 37.8% K%. Still came away with a 103 wRC+ / 2.3 fWAR over 292 PAs in 119 games. 11 Ks with only 1 hit in 19 PAs is nothing for this guy.
Plenty of time for him to get comfortable with his new swing. While the team is healthy there’s no need to have him take any high leverage ABs whatsoever..Walsh & Rengifo can step in for occasional spot starts in LF when one of Trout/Ward/Renfroe needs a day off. Phillips only enters as a late game pinch runner or defensive replacement getting the occasional late game PA in blowouts. 

57 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

I’m not sure we’re appreciating how much Brett Phillips ABs typically end in outs, oftentimes of the K variety. Even in his terrific 2021 season he batted .206 with a 37.8% K%. Still came away with a 103 wRC+ / 2.3 fWAR over 292 PAs in 119 games. 11 Ks with only 1 hit in 19 PAs is nothing for this guy.
Plenty of time for him to get comfortable with his new swing. While the team is healthy there’s no need to have him take any high leverage ABs whatsoever..Walsh & Rengifo can step in for occasional spot starts in LF when one of Trout/Ward/Renfroe needs a day off. Phillips only enters as a late game pinch runner or defensive replacement getting the occasional late game PA in blowouts. 

I'm not at all worried about Phillips bat, that's not why he's here. 

The Monty Python GIF is more me saying I'm not worried than any criticism of Phillips.  I mean, it would be great if he hit .250 but if all he does is repeat his 2022 he will be an upgrade, which is as much of an indictment of the 22 Angels as it is praise for Phillips.

Plus he legit makes baseball fun.  A modern day Rex Hudler of sorts.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not at all worried about Phillips bat, that's not why he's here. 

The Monty Python GIF is more me saying I'm not worried than any criticism of Phillips.  I mean, it would be great if he hit .250 but if all he does is repeat his 2022 he will be an upgrade, which is as much of an indictment of the 22 Angels as it is praise for Phillips.

Plus he legit makes baseball fun.  A modern day Rex Hudler of sorts.

What would be fun if halos would have winning season. Moniak could be your 4th OF. Would not have to put INF to play OF on days off for Trout, Ward or Renfroe. Very good  glove plus he has speed. Let Phillips work on swing in minors. 

On 3/9/2023 at 9:56 AM, Angels 1961 said:

What would be fun if halos would have winning season. Moniak could be your 4th OF. Would not have to put INF to play OF on days off for Trout, Ward or Renfroe. Very good  glove plus he has speed. Let Phillips work on swing in minors. 

What do you like about Moniak so much? 

He's a downgrade defensively, in his brief Angels career he posted a negative 0.4 bWAR while fWAR had him at negative 0.3 split over both teams.  While I'm happy to see him doing well so far in ST I don't put a lot of weight in ST results and like Adell, Moniak is probably better off playing everyday than sitting on the bench waiting to for opportunities.

13 hours ago, ukyah said:

not if you go basically o'fer on the spring with a ton of K's. fringe guys get signed all the time and cut in the spring. i'm not advocating that, but angels1961 has a valid point.

Show me examples of players signing guaranteed MLB deals in free agency and then getting cut in Spring Training before they even play a regular season game with the team.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I haven’t seen that. Apparently you have, if you’ve seen it happen “all the time.”

Edited by Trendon

56 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Are you sure about this?  Phillips would have to go through waivers, so we’d lose him.  So next up is Adell.  

11 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Show me examples of players signing guaranteed MLB deals in free agency and then getting cut in Spring Training before they even play a regular season game with the team.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I haven’t seem that. Apparently you have, if you’ve seen it happen “all the time.”

Come on man. It’s already March 9. Why haven’t you pushed the panic button yet?

15 hours ago, Trendon said:

So, you’re saying the Angels should live with this situation (assuming he hits like Velasquez) so that they can attract a 4th outfielder next year? 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

What do you like about Moniak so much? 

He's a downgrade defensively, in his brief Angels career he posted a negative 0.4 bWAR while fWAR had him at negative 0.3 split over both teams.  While I'm happy to see him doing well so far in ST I don't put a lot of weight in ST results and like Adell Moniak is probably better off playing everyday than sitting on the bench waiting to for opportunities.

What do people see in Phillips? He is minor league signing at best.

2 hours ago, bruin5 said:

So, you’re saying the Angels should live with this situation (assuming he hits like Velasquez) so that they can attract a 4th outfielder next year? 

It’s about your word and how you treat people.

If the Angels get a rep for going back on their word and treating players poorly, that will spread. Players talk to each other and agents represent multiple players.