• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What will become of our friend Ippei?

UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Sorry, but that’s a really dumb question.

Why would Ippei stay with the Angels if Ohtani leaves?

Arte’s really gonna pay a Japanese translator when he has no Japanese player who needs a translator? Come on.

It's so he get his order right at Japanese Restaurants. 

4 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I remember a while back one of his teammates said Ohtani actually does speak English. That leads me to believe he's at a conversational level, but for interviews he doesn't feel 100% comfortable and prefers a higher degree of precision that would take considerably more time to get to. 

He is trolling Erica.

6 hours ago, Taylor said:

I think Fletcher or Sam Blum or someone said Ippei is here on a work visa, and Ohtani's potential new team would need to agree to pay to extend his visa. 

Knowing Arte, he'd probably cut Ippei loose just to make him go back to Japan.

I am pretty sure Ippei is a US citizen. 

I assume he would be hired by whatever team gets Ohtani. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

I remember a while back one of his teammates said Ohtani actually does speak English. That leads me to believe he's at a conversational level, but for interviews he doesn't feel 100% comfortable and prefers a higher degree of precision that would take considerably more time to get to. 

This is correct. 

I would say most players who use interpreters for interviews (Japanese and Spanish) speak English well enough for informal conversations but not for on the record interviews. 

As an aside, that doesn’t bother me at all. Luís Rengifo tries really hard at English and wants to do interviews in English, which is admirable. But there are times I think it would be better for my purposes (and therefore the readers) if he’d just use the interpreter so he could give more detailed and nuanced answers. 

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Same with Vlad. It's no secret my sister dated his cousin and that got me access we normally don't get as fans. He spoke good English, but told me he was worried about the translation to English, so he always spoke in Spanish when he did interviews. Ironically, his translator, Jesse, was Mexican.....another cool dude. Being with Vlad outside of baseball and shooting pool, etc, he was comfortable talking in English to us, but he didn't feel comfortable and the possible translations errors to English. I imagine the same with Ohtani.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Same with Vlad. It's no secret my sister dated his cousin and that got me access we normally don't get as fans. He spoke good English, but told me he was worried about the translation to English, so he always spoke in Spanish when he did interviews. Ironically, his translator, Jesse, was Mexican.....another cool dude. Being with Vlad outside of baseball and shooting pool, etc, he was comfortable talking in English to us, but he didn't feel comfortable and the possible translations errors to English. I imagine the same with Ohtani.

Help me understand why your sister dating his cousin got you access to Vlad.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Help me understand why your sister dating his cousin got you access to Vlad.

Uhhhhh 1+1???

Vlad always had his family with him. The only thing he didn't like was that they were pussy hounds so he kind of kicked them out of the Anaheim Hills home and had them stay at some Motel 6 or some place next to the stadium. He didn't want that shit around his mother, who lived with him.

He gave his cousins and family the suite above our season seats in Club.......how they met. When my sister started dating his cousin I was always I their suite, allowed to go out to the players parking lot (as long as I was with Jesse, the translator), and on occasion Vlad would hang out with us some nights.....dude loves rum.

Vlad was cool. Very quiet and soft spoken.

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Uhhhhh 1+1???

Vlad always had his family with him. The only thing he didn't like was that they were pussy hounds so he kind of kicked them out of the Anaheim Hills home and had them stay at some Motel 6 or some place next to the stadium. He didn't want that shit around his mother, who lived with him.

He gave his cousins and family the suite above our season seats in Club.......how they met. When my sister started dating his cousin I was always I their suite, allowed to go out to the players parking lot (as long as I was with Jesse, the translator), and on occasion Vlad would hang out with us some nights.....dude loves rum.

So your seats were in Club and Vlad's family had a suite. Your sister somehow met one of Vlad's cousins and voila! you're hanging out with Vlad.

Just now, Jay said:

So your seats were in Club and Vlad's family had a suite. Your sister somehow met one of Vlad's cousins and voila! you're hanging out with Vlad.

Yeah, exactly that. What's hard to comprehend?

I've talked about this a few times here over the years. What's your issue?

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yeah, exactly that. What's hard to comprehend?

I've talked about this a few times here over the years. What's your issue?

Not hard to comprehend. Sorry I must have missed it before. I'll bet you're glad you had a chance to bring it up again.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not hard to comprehend. Sorry I must have missed it before. I'll bet you're glad you had a chance to bring it up again.

It was menial and uneventful, it just tied into Angels players that are non-native English speakers that know the language, but choose to not speak English to the media.

You would have picked that up if you weren't entranced by my sister dating Vlad's cousin and how I got to see him speak English outside of the media. But you chose to go the TMZ route about something frivolous. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It was menial and uneventful, it just tied into Angels players that are non-native English speakers that know the language, but choose to not speak English to the media.

You would have picked that up if you weren't entranced by my sister dating Vlad's cousin and how I got to see him speak English outside of the media. But you chose to go the TMZ route about something frivolous. 

Something about you shooting pool with Vlad because your sister dated his cousin that intrigued me. Kind of reminded me of an episode of Entourage.

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Uhhhhh 1+1???

So your sister is just into the dark meat or what?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Something about you shooting pool with Vlad because your sister dated his cousin that intrigued me.

Because he was speaking English while hanging out and it applied to topic? Are you on the Taylor spectrum?

You're making it sound like I'm bragging when I'm literally talking about a foreign player speaking English outside of the media and TV interviews.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Because he was speaking English while hanging out and it applied to topic? Are you on the Taylor spectrum?

You're making it sound like I'm bragging when I'm literally talking about a foreign player speaking English outside of the media and TV interviews.

Wait I never said you were racist.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

So your sister is just into the dark meat or what?

She's a mess, don't ask.

If I'm keeping it real, I think she only dated him for the access or as the kids say these days, "the clout"

I laughed at the whole thing as I was the one to somewhat mediate things.....she only spoke English and he only spoke Spanish. 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

She's a mess, don't ask.

If I'm keeping it real, I think she only dated him for the access or as the kids say these days, "the clout"

I laughed at the whole thing as I was the one to somewhat mediate things.....she only spoke English and he only spoke Spanish. 

Lmao. At least you got to play pool with Vlad.