• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani and cap space.

Richbert88

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe. Have we seen a significant bump in payroll in comparison to the rest of the league?

It’s a have and a have not league. So however you want to phrase it you’ll be right. So I could say “the Angels are spending more money this year then they have in the past while the Dodgers are spending less”. I’d be right. Then you could point out that the Dodgers still have a higher payroll than the Angels. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

It’s a have and a have not league. So however you want to phrase it you’ll be right. So I could say “the Angels are spending more money this year then they have in the past while the Dodgers are spending less”. I’d be right. Then you could point out that the Dodgers still have a higher payroll than the Angels. 

True, but each individual team is reacting to their own unique circumstances. I'm paying significantly more at the grocery store these days so saying the Angels are spending more money than they did ten years ago doesn't really mean anything. I can recognize that the Angels have increased their payroll this year from last year but does that hold true when compared to the rest of the league? 

You guys might be right that this off season has shown that Arte is willing to spend more to make the team competitive, but I'm hesitant to go along with that just because we opted to sign Brendon Drury instead of Tyler Wade. Either way the roster is still incomplete, which is par for the course.

6 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

True, but each individual team is reacting to their own unique circumstances. I'm paying significantly more at the grocery store these days so saying the Angels are spending more money than they did ten years ago doesn't really mean anything. I can recognize that the Angels have increased their payroll this year from last year but does that hold true when compared to the rest of the league? 

You guys might be right that this off season has shown that Arte is willing to spend more to make the team competitive, but I'm hesitant to go along with that just because we opted to sign Brendon Drury instead of Tyler Wade. Either way the roster is still incomplete, which is par for the course.

I’m thinking the same. I hope we hit the jackpot with our signings this year. Bringing in two of Degrom, Correa , and judge would have sent a clear signal we ain’t bullshitting. 85 million more would have signed Ohtani , Degrom, and Correa. We didn’t do it so I don’t see Arte handing Ohtani 50 next year and spending another 60 on a much weaker free agent market. 

36 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Why did you stop at Drury?  Renfroe at $11 million, Urshela at $8-9 million along with $40 million to Anderson happened as well. 

20 hours ago, Revad said:

I hope they do sign him, but I also hope Artie approves a budget of $260m.  I imagine they’d try to backload the contract but the luxury tax calculation is what really counts.

That's the hiccup, isn't it.

I've traditionally been one of the people on here who's defended Moreno when people call him cheap. He's not. We're always top ten in payroll.

That said, Moreno needs to accept the bad money spent, is spent. Regardless. You can't lose that money, get upset it was wasted, and not spend more.

You can to a certain point... you can't go "Full Mets" every year. But you can't spend a decade pointing out you signed Pujols and look at the payroll and call it "did my part".

If he's going to sign Ohtani, he needs to also commit to surrounding him with other talent. Period.

And if he can't do both those things (sign Ohtani, and sign more talent) then deciding not to sell was about the stupidest thing in history.

I have no idea of Ohtani wants to stay or not. Arte deciding to stay leads me to think he is. And obviously Ohtani brings in a metric ton of money.

Losing Ohtani will lose so much more... a new owner could lose Ohtani and people bitch but likely move on. If Arte loses Ohtani... after deciding not to sell... lol

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Why did you stop at Drury?  Renfroe at $11 million, Urshela at $8-9 million along with $40 million to Anderson happened as well. 

Renfeoe and Urshela are more one year contracts. Anderson was one of the cheapest multi year contracts signed by pitchers this season. I’m not criticizing these moves I’m just not convinced that these moves represent a clear increase in spending.

Im not sold on our line up at all.  I think I’ve expressed that several times in several threads.  That said.  It is maybe a positive development that they spent on the “not star but reasonable major leaguer” type players this off season.  I guess you could say they did that with Upton but Upton was a lot closer to the superstar type then Drury or Urshela or Renfroe or Anderson.  The Angels did it with a bunch of guys this off season.  That part is new.  I think it’s reasonable to view that as a positive development.