• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Challenger Anniversary

Tank

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

To me, the Challenger was one of the most shocking moments of my life.

I guess you missed out on Apollo 1. They put in a park named after Grissom next to our new junior High School in Fullerton. It was the first big shock that hit our family since my Father was part of the guidance control team for Apollo. He never had much faith in the Shuttle program. Inside the industry they had reduncies for what they called points of failure that could cause a catastrophy. They referred to the shuttles glued on heat shields as 21,000 points of failure, which caused the Columbia disaster.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

this is thread is about where you were when it happened, not what your opinion is about why it happened.

if you want to talk about why it happened and the layers of incompetence, feel free to start your own thread.

I apologize for violating the unspoken rules of your thread with my "opinion."

I was a senior in high school.  My buddy was in the AV room when it happened.  I guess he only saw a portion of it, but he walked in and said there was an accident on the space shuttle.  With how reliable it had been the 24 other missions, I was thinking it was something minor.  It wasn't until I got home from class a few hours later and turned on the news that I found out how bad it was.  

I was working at Hughes Aircraft.

There had been a lot of discussion at work leading up to the mission because Gregory Jarvis worked at Hughes.  In addition Ronald McNair worked at the Hughes Research Center in Malibu, a separate but related company.

That was not a happy day.

They named a section of road outside the facility Greg Jarvis Way in his honor.

I was working for the Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board as a Parole Investigator at the intake center for the state. I shared an office with a fellow investigator. A case manager, who normally was smiling and jovial, came to the office door with an ashen look on his face. "The shuttle just exploded." We were just numb.

An aside: The colleague who I was in the office with that day later got a job as an agent with US Customs. He was one of the 168 victims of the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Four months out of nursing school, I heard the explosion while walking my dog in the courtyard of my apartment complex. Minutes later, my hospital called, activating the disaster plan and calling in all off duty personnel. I had no idea at the time that Claude's office was at Murrah.

I visited his memorial at the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum when I went there two years ago to move my stepdaughter back to Stillwater to start a three-year veterinary residency program at Oklahoma State University. For those who have not been there, there are 168 chairs, each bearing the name of one of the victims. I have more stories about that day and the aftermath, but that is for a different time.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

19 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

An aside: The colleague who I was in the office with that day later got a job as an agent with US Customs. He was one of the 168 victims of the bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. Four months out of nursing school, I heard the explosion while walking my dog in the courtyard of my apartment complex. Minutes later, my hospital called, activating the disaster plan and calling in all off duty personnel. I had no idea at the time that Claude's office was at Murrah.

I visited his memorial at the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum when I went there two years ago to move my stepdaughter back to Stillwater to start a three-year veterinary residency program at Oklahoma State University. For those who have not been there, there are 168 chairs, each bearing the name of one of the victims. I have more stories about that day and the aftermath, but that is for a different time.

This is a topic about where you were on the day the Challenger blew up, not the Oklahoma City bombing. If you want to discuss that then please create a new topic.

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I was alive when the space boat blew up.  I can’t say exactly what I was doing though.  Sorry Tank. 

Crazy that it was just a few months before the Chernobyl disaster. Two sad tales of imperialist governments sacrificing their own people in a vain attempt to look like badasses in the international community.