• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

In some ways I feel like the zips list gives a little more insight into what's going on with development within the org.  As well as speaking to the overall depth of the system.   

Here at AW I think we lean a little more performance heavy than most sites because there isn't a ton of tape to watch on most of the guys we rank which is one of the reasons the generic lists are less likely to capture Paris whereas we might.  

But the Zips does an even better job of cutting through things like age for level, competition, park factors, league, etc which is hard to see sometimes when just looking at their basic stat line.  Dan also mentioned that he's incorporated some statcast data recently as well.  

Another thing I think it does is it gives an easier way to compare to other orgs.  Sometimes we make comments about how we've got this guy or that guy who's under the radar and the assumption is that every org has 'guys like that'.  This sorta tells you if they do or they don't.  

And look at who's near the top of the list from an org standpoint.  It's the usual suspects in the Dodgers, Cards, Guardians and otherwise teams who've been bad for awhile.  

55 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Here at AW I think we lean a little more performance heavy than most sites because there isn't a ton of tape to watch on most of the guys we rank which is one of the reasons the generic lists are less likely to capture Paris whereas we might.  

I was surprised Paris and Jackson ranked highly on ZiPS, considering their high K%.

Most models don’t like players with a high K%, but I’d imagine they were boosted by being young for the levels they played at.

20 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I was surprised Paris and Jackson ranked highly on ZiPS, considering their high K%.

Most models don’t like players with a high K%, but I’d imagine they were boosted by being young for the levels they played at.

I wasn't to be honest.  And Jackson cut his k rate to about 22% last year.  I haven't heard one way or another, but my guess is that when Perry's crew took over, they've put him through a significant overhaul.  He's my guy to turn a big corner this year.  And I think we're gonna see some improvement from Adams this year as well.  

And most 'models' aren't really models.  They're extremely subjective and by convention, don't look at the context of those K rates.  

As an example, Paris had a k rate of 29.7% for 2022.  

It was 40% through his first 136 PA.  It was 31% in his next 110 PA, and 20% in his next 159 PA before moving up to AA.  Then he had a small sample in AA as a 20 year old (where he was one of the 3 youngest position players in the league).  Where it was 28% and even that was mostly from a couple bad games.  

The progression of the K rate tells you some stuff.  Get to a level and see a quality of pitches you've never seen.  You find a way to adjust and if you do, then you go to the next level and start all over.  It's why we're sometimes scratching our head about who gets moved up and who doesn't.  

Part of what it tells me about Paris is that he was likely able to make the adjustments without having to redo his swing.  

21 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Really nice movement on all his pitches.  

Mederos starting to look like a victim of the NCAA's bigger seams and it's impact on movement, or they really worked with him on his command down in AZ. 

Also great to see Bachman back in the triple digits.  Dude needs that velo to be a legit prospect.

On 3/10/2023 at 2:21 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Pool on how soon he makes it to the show?

I’ll go with opening day.

Won’t be as closer of course, as they’ll start him off working the 6th-7th innings, and go from there.

I don't think so. He has yet to pitch on even 1 day's rest very much. You can't give a bullpen slot to a guy that needs 2 days rest. I think they start him, C-Rod, Canning, and possibly Silseth in AAA is likely. 

Bush and Bachman have been pretty absent lately. 

14 hours ago, mmc said:

Personally, Victor Mederos has seen his stock rise most among the minor league arms during ST, IMO.  Everyone is talking about Joyce but Joyce came into the draft with hype, some believed he might even be a late season call up for whatever team ended up drafting him.  Mederos claim to fame had been great potential but totally lost, he's looked far more advanced than that this Spring.

Kolton Ingram would have made the team pretty much any season before this one IMO.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Personally, Victor Mederos has seen his stock rise most among the minor league arms during ST, IMO.

He’s basically the Angels’ 2021 draft version of Silseth.

Got picked towards the middle of the draft, pitched a little post-draft, and really elevated their stock in instructs.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets called up mid-season if/when the Angels need a starter, as long as he’s doing well in (presumably) AA.

35 minutes ago, Trendon said:

He’s basically the Angels’ 2021 draft version of Silseth.

Got picked towards the middle of the draft, pitched a little post-draft, and really elevated their stock in instructs.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets called up mid-season if/when the Angels need a starter, as long as he’s doing well in (presumably) AA.

He's got a bunch of guys he would need to leapfrog to get into the rotation, but he's yet another arm to consider in a potentially post Ohtani future.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's got a bunch of guys he would need to leapfrog to get into the rotation, but he's yet another arm to consider in a potentially post Ohtani future.

I would've thought the same thing with Silseth last year, but they still promoted him.

Granted, there is more upper-level SP depth than last year (guys like Bachman, Bush, Crow, and Erla), but I still could see them bringing him up if they think he has the best stuff to get MLB hitters out.

18 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I would've thought the same thing with Silseth last year, but they still promoted him.

Granted, there is more upper-level SP depth than last year (guys like Bachman, Bush, Crow, and Erla), but I still could see them bringing him up if they think he has the best stuff to get MLB hitters out.

I mean anything is possible but the road to a rotation spot is likely more difficult this year than last. Canning and Rodriguez were both out and Silseth was outperforming everyone in his draft class. Maderos would need to leapfrog the first two, all the guys in the 21 class, and any pop-up guys that may come up.  Again, anything is possible but its a rather daunting task.

I'm just glad there is another guy working himself into the conversation, I hope Jose Soriano does the same.