• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

42 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

by far the most out of character selection from either Minasian draft.   One of those ones where it was puzzling even on draft day but you want to give it the benefit of the doubt where there's something we're just not seeing.  Now it seems like a pretty obvious stinker for that level of bonus.  

You seriously would need to go to the Dipoto drafts to find a similar player type -- only Albright was a HS product. 

15 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

by far the most out of character selection from either Minasian draft.   One of those ones where it was puzzling even on draft day but you want to give it the benefit of the doubt where there's something we're just not seeing.  Now it seems like a pretty obvious stinker for that level of bonus.  

yeah, I haven't been a huge fan of them saving up and spending $1M+ in their slot pool on a HS pitcher in the 11th/12th round. First with Albright and then with Dana.

I'd rather just use that million in the 2nd or 3rd round.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

yeah, I haven't been a huge fan of them saving up and spending $1M+ in their slot pool on a HS pitcher in the 11th/12th round. First with Albright and then with Dana.

I have no issues with them spending to sign a HS pitcher, just not guys who's entire game revolves around "pitchability" and there isn't much of any projection.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I have no issues with them spending to sign a HS pitcher, just not guys who's entire game revolves around "pitchability" and there isn't much of any projection.

That's why I said I dislike their strategy of "spending $1M+ in their slot pool on a HS pitcher in the 11th/12th round."

At that point, the pool of options is diminished to the point where the guys left who'll sign for that amount don't have much projection.

19 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Jake Madden’s professional debut

3.2 IP 2 H 1 R 3 BB 6 SO

it looks like they have Albright piggy backing his start tonight.

why is it that minor league pitchers seem to pitch only 3 or 4 innings per start? seems like you never see them going 7 or 8.

can someone explain?

41 minutes ago, Trendon said:

That's why I said I dislike their strategy of "spending $1M+ in their slot pool on a HS pitcher in the 11th/12th round."

At that point, the pool of options is diminished to the point where the guys left who'll sign for that amount don't have much projection.

It's not always talent issues, it's often signability concerns or college commitments.  Nick Adenhart was a 14th rounder, Trumbo 18th -- both were considered 1st round talents and ended up getting 1st round money.  

This used to be MUCH more common in the days before MLB dictated how much teams could spend per pick and in the draft.  It was one of the things that made the Angels farm system successful and another reminder of how they lost their way. Both those guys were taken in the 2004 draft, and the guy taken at the top of the draft had dropped to them because of signing bonus demands -- Jered Weaver.

They basically paid for three first rounders and ALL of them reached MLB.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

why is it that minor league pitchers seem to pitch only 3 or 4 innings per start? seems like you never see them going 7 or 8.

can someone explain?

Pitch counts are lower in the minors at times, but in this case, pitchers are still building up.

From what I could tell, the Angels were limiting their pitchers to 70-75 pitches in their first outing. If a guy had a slower ramp up in minor league Spring Training, they'd probably have even tighter pitch limits.

Under Eppler, the Angels would limit their starters to like 70 pitches or 5 innings for the entire season. Now, they're allowed to go 90+ pitches and/or 7+ innings if they're built up to do so.

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

doing what they've done after the 10th round is a great strategy.  draft boards aren't rocket science.  Yeah you might have your favorites, but for the most part it's a tiered pool of guys with 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. round grades.  You might have a guy with a 2nd round grade that for whatever reason you can sign for under slot.  He might have the same grade as a guy who'd cost well over slot.  If you had a much higher grade on the over slot guy and feel that much stronger about his potential then sure, pay it.  If you don't and it's apples to apples on your board, take the under slot guy.  

If, by the time you get to those 11-15 rounds and you've done your math right, you might have some room to sign some of those guys who slipped and get yourself an extra couple guys with 2nd/3rd round grades.  

Why take a guy like that in the 3rd when you can still get a very good player and still get that guy in the 11th?  

Also, why not take a couple guys in the 9th and 10th with lesser grades when there are a bunch of 9th and 10th round graded guys that will be available in the later rounds.  You run the risk of having to overpay them a bit but that how most of this math gets worked out in advance.  

And look at what some of those picks have gotten us - Dana, Silseth, Crow, Von Scoyoc (people shouldn't completely sleep on him btw).  

3 hours ago, Tank said:

can someone explain?

Minor leaguers tend to be less efficient  and it's more about getting their work in the right way to further their development where winning might be important but health and progress are of far greater priority.  

A lot of those guys are also on schedules and roster are bigger so they need the innings space to get other guys work as well.  

They're not only on pitch limits, but they have them working on particular pitches.  It's not just 'go get outs' where they let guys throw their entire repertoire at a lineup every time out.  

Man,Neto and Quero have been crushing it! They both are looking like the real deal! 

Placencia, has had a weird satrt to the year, his average is where you want it to be, but the Walks and OBp are nice to see. 

Medros has a filthy slider! I'd give it a 60 grade on it.Guy to watch, and that command will be the determine is role!

Erla and Bachman, are both still looking filithy! Erla is reminding me alot of G-rich, Power Fb, good Sinker (not G-rich like), and power Slider!

Dana  and Rada could be the next big gems in the system 

The system is on the upright! Haven't seen this much talent in some time! 

Neto,Quero, Silseth, and Bachman could easily slide into any top 100 lists with what they;ve shown so far. Than there is the pitching depth that I for one am excited about! So much depth on the pitching side with good upside! 

If Quero can maintain an OPS over .800, and keep up his strong walk/strikeout rate as a 20 year old catcher in AA, the dude should be a top 10 prospect.

Wonder if they'll start trying him at first base? With him and O'hoppe on the same team, that could end up being a lot of bat to waste.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

If Quero can maintain an OPS over .800, and keep up his strong walk/strikeout rate as a 20 year old catcher in AA, the dude should be a top 10 prospect.

Wonder if they'll start trying him at first base? With him and O'hoppe on the same team, that could end up being a lot of bat to waste.

If both develop then you have to trade one. You don't turn the rarest asset in baseball - a good hitting catcher - into a decent 1B.

If he can't stick at catcher, that's one thing. Or if his bat is sooo good that you want him in the lineup every day and don't want the ware and tear on his body so he stays healthy longer, that's another. But to just move him to 1B because catcher is taken is a huge waste.