• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If the Angels managed to lock up Ohtani before Opening Day, would you consider this off-season a success?

Taylor

Not Another Ohtani Pole  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If the Angels managed to lock up Ohtani before Opening Day, would you consider this off-season a success?

No. The measure of offseason success is how the team performs during the season. I will consider the off-season a success if the Angels make the playoffs. 

Ohtani alone is a contributor towards success, but not the answer. As everyone here knows, having the two best players on planet means Jack squat when they're not playing in October.

Edited by Second Base

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

No. The measure of offseason success is how the team performs during the season. I will consider the off-season a success if the Angels make the playoffs. 

Ohtani alone is a contributor towards success, but not the answer. As everyone here knows, having the two best players on planet means Jack squat when they're not playing in October.

Somehow l take comfort in being able to watch Ohtani and Trout on a regular basis even if they miss the playoffs. l think l'd rather not see Ohtani win a Cy Young or a HR title for someone else...

Don't mistake my meaning l really want Ohtani and Trout to make the playoffs as Angels...

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Somehow l take comfort in being able to watch Ohtani and Trout on a regular basis even if they miss the playoffs. l think l'd rather not see Ohtani win a Cy Young or a HR title for someone else...

Don't mistake my meaning l really want Ohtani and Trout to make the playoffs as Angels...

No one here, myself included, wants him in another uniform. 

But using Ohtani as the measure of offseason success deliberately misses the mark. Would you rather win the World Series with no Ohtani or miss the playoffs with Ohtani? 

If you answer the latter, you aren't an Angels fan, you're an Ohtani fan. 

So logically speaking, you don't measure the success of an entire team based off one player. It's ridiculous. By that logic the Angels should've won the World Series every year since 2012 because they have Mike Trout. 

Offseason success is measured by in-season victories.

You can certainly judge the off season separately from the regular season results.  Injuries happen.  Trades happen.  Stuff happens in general that can derail a season and make it unsuccessful that have nothing to do with a good off season.

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Would you rather win the World Series with no Ohtani or miss the playoffs with Ohtani? 

If you answer the latter, you aren't an Angels fan, you're an Ohtani fan. 

That's a really dumb question. There are no guarantees in sports, but having an ace who is also an elite DH gives us a better chance of winning. I'd rather watch the Angels try for the World Series with the most sensational player ever than watch him try for it with another team. 

42 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

That's a really dumb question. There are no guarantees in sports, but having an ace who is also an elite DH gives us a better chance of winning. I'd rather watch the Angels try for the World Series with the most sensational player ever than watch him try for it with another team. 

I agree it's a dumb question, just like judging an offseason by whether Ohtani receives an extension or not. 

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I agree it's a dumb question, just like judging an offseason by whether Ohtani receives an extension or not. 

i think i could not disagree more. the question on preference of losing with him or winning without him is dumb. it's a false comparison. nobody knows the future. the actions of the FO are based in the now with an eye toward improving their future potential. locking up ohtani right now would be one of the greatest moves they could make towards their potential future.

Well-timed thread.  Here is a tidbit form that article that is relevant to this conversation:

How high will it go? Hard to say, but I polled nine agents — not his own — to find out, and here are the responses.

Agent A: “He will definitely beat Trout, and you have to go from there.” (Mike Trout signed a 12-year, $426.5M deal)

Agent B: “Should get $400M-plus to a winner.”

Agent 😄 “$430 [million] to $440 over 10 years.”

Agent 😧 “10 times 45 [million]”

Agent E: “I think he goes to $500M or so, probably 12 years.”

Agent F: “$500M for 13/14 [years]— $250M per position”

Agent G: “475 [million]to 525 over 13 seasons.”

Agent H: “11 times 50 = $550M. Sounds crazy but he has the ability to consistently be a 9/10 WAR player.”

Agent I: “It sure seems like something that starts with a 5 in front of it.”