• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million), DFA Oliver Ortega

mmc

38 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maybe he is good enough to be an interim for half the season as they prep O'Hoppe in AAA. Picking up a true backup sets O'Hoppe back a complete year because they won't carry 3 catchers. 

We'll see.  If he's considered not great defensively, half a season is a lot of games for a backup catcher to play, assuming a backup starts close to 40% of the time.  

I think the FO would be more likely to pivot to Wallach over Thaiss, even though Thaiss is better offensively.

22 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I think the Angels massively mis-managed Thaiss.

IMO, after 2020 when they first tried it, they should’ve worked him out at 2B and LF in addition to 1B/DH.

If they had done that, he would’ve gotten a lot of playing time at 2B/3B/LF to show what he had.

His rookie season wasn’t that bad offensively. But then 2020 happened, he converted to C in 2021, and never got extended MLB time to show what his bat could do.

Moving to catcher was his idea and choice. The Angels supported it because they had nothing to lose, but Thaiss is back at catcher because he thought it was what's best for his career.

He hasn't looked bad back there, but his offense plummeted once he started playing catcher full time. There's a correlation, just ask Taylor Ward. 

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Moving to catcher was his idea and choice. The Angels supported it because they had nothing to lose, but Thaiss is back at catcher because he thought it was what's best for his career.

They didn’t have to support his idea, which goes back to my opinion of them mis-managing him.

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million), DFA Oliver Ortega
8 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, I think Rengifo's versatility is a bonus and I think it's unlikely they trade him.  That said, Rengifo seems to grade out as below average at every position he plays - so in that sense, how useful is his versatility if he plays multiple positions somewhat poorly?

Anyway - I am not for trading him, as we definitely need depth on this club, but I WOULD consider moving him if it led to acquiring a true SS.  Then Fletcher can truly just be a backup MI, Drury can play 2B, and Urshela will mainly be responsible for the corner IF spots, with occasional coverage in the middle infield as needed.  Of course, if injuries strike, there would still be great versatility - Drury can always be swung out to play 1B/3B, Fletcher can take over either middle infield spot, etc.

I think the best ability is “availability” ...

Rengifo certainly isn’t a franchise player.  But he was a bright spot last season.  I’d like to see him draw more walks and strike out less and swing at better pitches.  There are many things he could do better.

But he kept suiting up and showing up and I’d say he took advantage of the opportunity he got last season.  To me he’s like an offensive lineman who can play center guard or tackle.  He brings value.  

He’s relatively on the cheap.  For what he’s getting paid I’d say it’s a good bang for your buck. He still needs to make adjustments at the plate as the pitchers around the league make adjustments to him now....there’s a lot of his plate appearances on film.  Time will tell how that pans out.

If I’m making out a lineup card I personally like seeing my best bats in that lineup. I’d say I’d be looking for opportunities to get him plenty of looks, if possible.  

we had some injuries last year and every time the dust settled he was still standing.  Availability.

Overall I like him.  Wasn’t so sure about him at first.  He grew on me.  I found myself having to keep tipping my cap to the guy.  Hope they keep him around. 

22 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Interesting.  A little surprising.  I would have assumed others would have been DFA'd before him, but he does seem rather replaceable, too.

I was really excited seeing him in the minors. Dude was spitting BB's. I haven't seen much of that from him at the major league level unfortunately. 

On 12/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Let me rephrase it 

People are not making off-season trades in which the idea is to exchange talent and not just clear salary. 

The Blue Jays are in agreement with the Diamondbacks on a trade that will see them acquire outfielder Daulton Varsho, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN. The Blue Jays sending a package including catching prospect Gabriel Moreno to Arizona. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. will also head to Arizona in the deal, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Jon Heyman of The New York Post previously reported that the Jays were close to landing Varsho.

Salary dump???

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

The Blue Jays are in agreement with the Diamondbacks on a trade that will see them acquire outfielder Daulton Varsho, reports Jeff Passan of ESPN. The Blue Jays sending a package including catching prospect Gabriel Moreno to Arizona. Lourdes Gurriel Jr. will also head to Arizona in the deal, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today. Jon Heyman of The New York Post previously reported that the Jays were close to landing Varsho.

Salary dump???

No, that's a real one. How many of those have there been this winter? Three?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 4:03 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Let me rephrase it 

People are not making off-season trades in which the idea is to exchange talent and not just clear salary. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/phillies-tigers-agree-to-trade-for-gregory-soto.html

Salary dump? How about the trades that have happened between the last post I made and this post? See, talent exchanging trades are alive and well. To say they never happen in the offseason is just wrong.

12 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/phillies-tigers-agree-to-trade-for-gregory-soto.html

Salary dump? How about the trades that have happened between the last post I made and this post? See, talent exchanging trades are alive and well. To say they never happen in the offseason is just wrong.

Where did he say they never happen?  Maybe you don’t remember but these types of trades were commonplace in the past.