• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shortstop candidates for the Halos

Swordsman78

1 hour ago, jordan said:

What about a trade for Javier Baez?   He has a 10 team no trade clause, so not sure if Angels are on that.  But I don’t think Detroit is a great fit, he underperformed.   I think he could be had for very little if Angels take on most of his contract. 

Baez is tricky, though. He has an opt out after next year.  So if he rebounds or even improves on his pre-2022 performance, he'll likely opt out. And if he has another bad year like last year, he obviously WON'T opt out and the Angels are stuck with 4 more years at almost $100M. 

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok. 

1. You know the Mets can do better than that.

2. Eppler connection is irrelevant. 

3. Cohen needs salary savings? I bet he also shops at Nordstrom's rack, right?

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

1. You know the Mets can do better than that.

2. Eppler connection is irrelevant. 

3. Cohen needs salary savings? I bet he also shops at Nordstrom's rack, right?

Or they have an abundance of starting pitchers and might look to move one. I didn’t say it would be a one for one trade.  And no the Eppler connection isn’t irrelevant.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

If we acquire a SS I’d kick the tires on a David Fletcher for Carlos Carrasco trade

I don't see other players in your scenario and yes, the Eppler connection is irrelevant or at the very least a minimal consideration. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

If we acquire a SS I’d kick the tires on a David Fletcher for Carlos Carrasco trade.  Eppler connection, they reduce payroll by a few bucks.  On that team Fletcher makes sense. 

No thank you.

I don’t want to pay a 36 year old pitcher a decent chunk or money while also depleting my infield depth.

Fletcher at his worst is still better than the infielders the Angels ran out there last season. (Velazquez, MacKinnon, Villar, Stefanic, Gosselin, Rojas, Mayfield)

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Baez is tricky, though. He has an opt out after next year.  So if he rebounds or even improves on his pre-2022 performance, he'll likely opt out. And if he has another bad year like last year, he obviously WON'T opt out and the Angels are stuck with 4 more years at almost $100M. 

Ahh I missed that opt out.  You nailed the scenario if Angels traded for him.  

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

I don't see other players in your scenario and yes, the Eppler connection is irrelevant or at the very least a minimal consideration. 

Given the FO is basically entirely different, I agree that it's hard to see the Eppler connection as relevant.  Actually, if anything, I think he'd hold some negative views in terms of how he was relieved of his duties, and it might even work against us if anything.

20 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Given the FO is basically entirely different, I agree that it's hard to see the Eppler connection as relevant.  Actually, if anything, I think he'd hold some negative views in terms of how he was relieved of his duties, and it might even work against us if anything.

That has nothing to do with what I am saying.  Fletcher went from afterthought to a quality major league player while Eppler was here.  Since Eppler left Fletcher hasn’t had the same success.  If Eppler thinks he knows the approach to make Fletcher successful again in a utility role or even at 2nd base, then his familiarity with Fletcher is relevant.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That has nothing to do with what I am saying.  Fletcher went from afterthought to a quality major league player while Eppler was here.  Since Eppler left Fletcher hasn’t had the same success.  If Eppler thinks he knows the approach to make Fletcher successful again in a utility role or even at 2nd base, then his familiarity with Fletcher is relevant.  

Possibly, but when you are giving the keys to a fortune, Eppler does not really need to concern himself with trying to improve around the fringes.  If he wants a second baseman, he can probably just sign Segura and likely get significant better production.  The trade you are suggesting would make more sense if the Mets were looking to save some money, but it seems rather clear that money is just totally inconsequential to Cohen.

At this point, I don’t see many great options for SS on the trade market. The best and safest option seems to be Correa or Swanson. Get one of them and the position is stable for several years. I’d prefer the Angels don’t go into the season with a question mark in this position, ie., someone young and unproven or someone injury prone or someone who is defensive only.  

6 minutes ago, jordan said:

At this point, I don’t see many great options for SS on the trade market. The best and safest option seems to be Correa or Swanson. Get one of them and the position is stable for several years. I’d prefer the Angels don’t go into the season with a question mark in this position, ie., someone young and unproven or someone injury prone or someone who is defensive only.  

Yes Correa or Swanson or this team will be in middle of pack. 

18 minutes ago, jordan said:

I suspect the SS trade market might move a bit more after Correa and Swanson have made their decisions, as teams who have SSs that they are considering moving for the right offer will have the remaining teams compete for their services.  Given Correa is represented by Boras, who historically tends to have negotiations drag on awhile, it might take some time before we are able to see traction on this front.

35 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Cincy looking to trade top INF prospects for OF prospects. Angels match up with Adell?

Not sure....their best SS prospect is De La Cruz (got him from the M's in the Castillo trade) and I'm not sure they would be willing to deal him....Plus, we have young SS prospects of our own---Neto the best and then maybe Soto---so we might be better off with a short time commitment like Kiner Falefa.....honestly, we probably could use a young OF prospect more than a MIF prospect....

On 12/10/2022 at 1:38 PM, Pancake Bear said:

Turner got 300. It was reported he left an offer for 342 on the table. Bogaerts got 280. I'm not saying it's impossible that Correa eclipses 350, but it would surprise me, simply because it's so far above the market. I think 350 is likely the upper limit for his contract. Wouldn't shock me to see it end up in the 330-340 range strictly based on what we're seeing in the market right now. 

I agree.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Any interest in Brandon Crawford?  Had an amazing '21 season, but crashed last season at age 35.  Owed 15 million in last year of contract.

I was just thinking that.  He would be a great acquisition.  Even if he simply just repeats his year last year, he's a 2+ fWAR player.  He would give one more year of development to Neto, to see if he could be the future SS, and he will also be a solid improvement over what we have.

Per BTV, his trade value is actually negative (-0.7).  I am guessing he will not cost much to acquire.  His luxury tax AAV is 16mil .. if we are aiming to stay under, and intend to make another move or two, maybe we can get the Giants to toss in a few mil to help lower that.

He would probably be my top target at this point.  Still very good defensively, and there is a possible upside as well.

Also, for a team that is very RHH heavy, it would be nice to add another LHH bat to the lineup.

What about signing Justin Turner to play 3B, move Rendon to 2B where he's played a bunch of games in his career and has a higher fielding pct. than at 3B, then go with Rengifo/Fletcher at SS, or sign Andrus and trade Rengifo + for a starting pitcher from the Marlins?