• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Victor Rojas says on Twitter that he's "all for" coming back as the Angels Play-by-Play announcer "if they'll have me"

BTH

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I like Gubby too and don't understand the disconnect with some. 

Gubie has really grown as a broadcaster the last couple seasons, carrying it all on his back basically. He can be a bit goofy and has to appeal to the casual fan a lot, but he’s extremely solid.

Him and Rojas though? Hell yes.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

His kids are out of the house and in college and his wife is doing great after her medical issues and she approves of him going back to Cali to return as the Angels broadcaster. 

But I thought he wanted to be a GM. Was he let go?.

17 minutes ago, Lou said:

But I thought he wanted to be a GM. Was he let go?.

Being the GM of a minor league team is not even remotely the same as being a major league GM.  If his goal (at least at one time) was the latter, the former doesn't really do anything to help you reach that goal.  (Not that being an announcer does, either.)  It's more of a marketing/PR/sales-type gig, in addition to overseeing retail and other operations-type responsibilities.

39 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Was just texting with Victor. He’s really interested in coming back if indeed the Angels want him back. 

Please Lawd… I’m tired of muting Angels telecasts. 

I just hope the Angels/Bally feel the same way.

This is just my speculation, but I wonder if this is something that happens for 2024 rather than 2023. If Vasgersian is still under contract for 2023, they may ride it out with him and O'Neal and then the new owner gets to pick their PxP person in 2024 (and would likely be heavily influenced by the Angels fans clamoring for Victor).

Edited by Trendon

I’m okay with bringing Victor back back. Interesting most of the time, and I loved his “DRIVE. HOME. SAFELY!!” walkoff call. 

My main complaint was the numerous times when he just went completely silent for a couple of pitches during the game. It also felt, at times, like he and Gubi had a bunch of inside jokes. At times, I felt like I was an outsider to what they were referencing. It wasn’t particularly professional when it happened. 

But he’s still about a billion times better than O’Neal.

Edited by Tank

16 hours ago, Tank said:

I’m okay with bringing Victor back back. Interesting most of the time, and I loved his “DRIVE. HOME. SAFELY!!” walkoff call. 

My main complaint was the numerous times when he just went completely silent for a couple of pitches during the game. It also felt, at times, like he and Gubi had a bunch of inside jokes. At times, I felt like I was an outsider to what they were referencing. It wasn’t particularly professional when it happened. 

But he’s still about a billion times better than O’Neal.

Gubi has gotten so much better since Victor left that it's hard for me to figure out what the real reasons for it are. Maybe it's because he's had to carry the broadcast with O'Neal, or that new broadcast partners have opened up new conversations with him. I did always feel like him and Victor were a bit too chummy in the booth. Their relationship seemed to lead to them discussing anything but the game, or like you said, making references that were completely out of context for viewers.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Victor and Gubi were the pinnacle of Angels on air presentation, along with Darren Chan behind the scenes. 

Vasgersian is incredible, no doubt about it. But he's not broadcasting with the Angels nearly enough, and Patrick O'Neal is worse than that time we had Rex Hudler. 

I liked Rex, but Victor and Gubie were and could be again a great pair.

22 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Being the GM of a minor league team is not even remotely the same as being a major league GM.  If his goal (at least at one time) was the latter, the former doesn't really do anything to help you reach that goal.  (Not that being an announcer does, either.)  It's more of a marketing/PR/sales-type gig, in addition to overseeing retail and other operations-type responsibilities.

100% this. When we had our Texas AW meet up Victor Rojas told us exactly that. 

He only knew of the top prospects there not much of what was in the system because he had nothing to do with player personnel which is what he REALLY wanted to do. 

Funny. When we asked him when we were floating in the river wave pool overlooking the outfield at the Frisco Roughriders stadium what his first move would have been if he got the job as the Angels GM... He said he would have traded Jo Adell when his value was much higher than it is now. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

100% this. When we had our Texas AW meet up Victor Rojas told us exactly that. 

He only knew of the top prospects there not much of what was in the system because he had nothing to do with player personnel which is what he REALLY wanted to do. 

Funny. When we asked him when we were floating in the river wave pool overlooking the outfield at the Frisco Roughriders stadium what his first move would have been if he got the job as the Angels GM... He said he would have traded Jo Adell when his value was much higher than it is now. 

Adell is the exact sort of outfielder you see come from there Milwaukee system, as IP first suggested. He's got the look and potential, but unlocking it is something else entirely. Victor saw it early. 

On 11/19/2022 at 5:00 PM, Chuckster70 said:

To be fair, it's possible the Angels had been shopping Adell but couldn't get a trade package that would be worth his upside. 

It's a hindsight thing now. With how Adell has not panned out, of course getting anything for him would have been worth it. But a couple years ago, he still had the potential to break out and be a star.