• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

27 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Looked pretty good in All Star game

Come on Man. Let's be real. Thinking Walsh is an answer in the outfield is like thinking Urshela is an answer at SS.

I actually think Urshela could play some corner OF but they will be best to stay mostly in their lanes. Urshela corner IF. Walsh 1b.

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I would not want Hosmer.  He is a 1B only player.  Our bench needs versatility.  

If Walsh is hurt and/or ineffective, as you mention, Urshela can primarily take over.  

I’d take a shot on Hosmer simply because you’d only have to pay him league minimum.

The Angels can’t get a bat that’s been slightly above average league for the last three years for league minimum anywhere else. And if he doesn't produce at that level, you can easily cut him.

Walsh’s ability to play the outfield corners and the ability or Ward to play CF allows you to carry two LHH 1B.

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

I’d take a shot on Hosmer simply because you’d only have to pay him league minimum.

The Angels can’t get a bat that’s been slightly above average league for the last three years for league minimum anywhere else. And if he doesn't produce at that level, you can easily cut him.

Walsh’s ability to play the outfield corners and the ability or Ward to play CF allows you to carry two LHH 1B.

I would be more amenable to shifting Walsh to the OF if we had a promising player to put at 1B.  Hosmer is just really mediocre at best, or sub-replacement level at worst (which he has been several years too). 

We won't need it.  Here is what we can do instead:  acquire a SS (seems likely?).  If we do, we can see the following cascade if injury occurs:  Walsh to the OF, Urshela to 1B, Fletcher to 2B, Rengifo to 3B.  This would occur if Rendon is out and we also lose an OF too (although that said, I do fully expect to see the team have and utilizer a 4th OF).

I do think, once we get a SS, that will create a versatility cascade that should cover us.  I am not opposed to getting a 1B, but it would need to be one with a much better upside than Hosmer.

11 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Come on Man. Let's be real. Thinking Walsh is an answer in the outfield is like thinking Urshela is an answer at SS.

I actually think Urshela could play some corner OF but they will be best to stay mostly in their lanes. Urshela corner IF. Walsh 1b.

As a 4th outfielder, yes I think its realistic.  I  not thinking it as a starter.

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Hosmer will end up back in KC.  Just has that feel. 

KC has Vinnie Pasquantino, who raked last season, and Nick Pratto, who is a top 100 prospect, at 1B.

No room for Hosmer there, unless they want to block the future of their team.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I would be more amenable to shifting Walsh to the OF if we had a promising player to put at 1B.  Hosmer is just really mediocre at best, or sub-replacement level at worst (which he has been several years too). 

We won't need it.  Here is what we can do instead:  acquire a SS (seems likely?).  If we do, we can see the following cascade if injury occurs:  Walsh to the OF, Urshela to 1B, Fletcher to 2B, Rengifo to 3B.  This would occur if Rendon is out and we also lose an OF too (although that said, I do fully expect to see the team have and utilizer a 4th OF).

I do think, once we get a SS, that will create a versatility cascade that should cover us.  I am not opposed to getting a 1B, but it would need to be one with a much better upside than Hosmer.

I get what you’re saying, and I agree that Hosmer doesn’t fit as well on a roster that adds a SS and a 4th OF.

But until they do that, if they even do that at all, Hosmer would be an upgrade. And considering that all you have to do is clear a 40-man spot to claim him and only have to pay him league minimum, I would make that move.

You could always DFA him in a few weeks or a couple months if you do end up getting a SS and 4th OF.

Edited by Trendon

45 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Why would Angels want another lefty in rotation? Unless trade in works for one of them.

Handedness aside, I think Hill would fit this team rather well in that he can't really pitch a full season's worth of games, so I think he would stand to benefit from a 6 man rotation.

I'm not too worried about having too many lefties or righties in the rotation.  Hill would just be for this year, not a long-term investment.  It does seem that the FO is casting a wide net in its search for another SP, so at this point, I'd be surprised if we DON'T add another.

At this point, I'd say it's likely we add a SS, SP, RP.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

KC has Vinnie Pasquantino, who raked last season, and Nick Pratto, who is a top 100 prospect, at 1B.

No room for Hosmer there, unless they want to block the future of their team.

I think they’ll find a way. He can split DH and 1B duties. 

4 minutes ago, jordan said:

I think they’ll find a way. He can split DH and 1B duties. 

Maybe, but they’re all left handed hitters.

If Dayton Moore was still the GM, I’d say it’s more likely. Picollo was in that front office, but I think he’s less attached to Hosmer than Moore.