• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels // Shohei Ohtani avoid arbitration and agree to a 1-year, $30 million deal for 2023

mmc

36 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I am guessing that he is not speaking to the media as per orders from his boss.  He seems like a very gregarious person and has been on broadcasts, etc.  This restriction seems to deviate form what he would otherwise be doing.

Perhaps.

That would fit Arte’s MO.

24 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I'm hoping we were smart enough to distract him when signing, and added a "0" after the "1" year.

I could see Perry trying to do that but screwing it up so now the Angels are paying him 300 million for 1 year. 

Which would also be a record. 

Edited by Justin

Good to hear.  No arb dram needed.  And that seems like fair value for both sides.  

Didn't realize we had so many guys going to arb this year.  The rest is probably gonna cost about 10-12mil.  Which puts payroll around 155m so far for next year leaving about 30m to spend.  Gonna be tough to get done what I'd like to see done with that amount.  

I don't see this as good news.  The last year of arbitration is usually included in the long term extension.  It's an incentive for the player to take the offer of an extension because you get the big money a year earlier.   

This maybe a sign that Ohtani is going to test free agency no matter what Ohatani offers.   

If that's the case we should trade him in the off season.

Edited by stormngt

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I don't see this as good news.  The last year of arbitration is usually included in the long term extension.  It's an incentive for the player to take the offer of am even tension because you get the big money a year earlier.   

This maybe a sign that Ohtani is going to test free agency no matter what Ohatani offers.   

If that's the case we should trade him in the off season.

I might normally agree but Ohtani is such a unicorn and the sale of the team creates so much uncertainty, I don’t think we know what it means, at least not yet….Beyond his skill set, Ohtani doesn’t seem to be easy to pigeon hole….

4 hours ago, Jason said:

Hopefully this shows Ohtani that the Halos want him to be a part of their future 

I'm happy they signed him, but ultimately I'm not sure this shows much of anything.  If they'd gone to arbitration, he likely would have gotten the same amount (possibly even more).  They can still trade him if they decide to--and they can obviously still try to extend him.  All this does is avoid any potential drama during the arb process. 

5 hours ago, DMVol said:

I might normally agree but Ohtani is such a unicorn and the sale of the team creates so much uncertainty, I don’t think we know what it means, at least not yet….Beyond his skill set, Ohtani doesn’t seem to be easy to pigeon hole….

Fair point

The only thing that makes a difference is a show of good faith on both sides. It could have been nasty and acrimonious. And it's taken care of before the off season. 

But remember, Betts was traded shortly after a similar process. So there is no certainty about next year. For all we know another team has been discreetly talking to the Angels about a trade and this deal is just preliminary to that. Not saying it's likely because it would be tampering, but you never know. 

If he stays next season it changes little for the longer term future. It still will be a soap opera. The Angels will have to be in contention and give Ohtani something he's never had. The excitement and adrenaline rush of a pennant race. And probably actually get into the post season. 

26 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

How about some cold water.  The fact that this got done so quickly likely means there was no interest in negotiating a long term deal at this point.   

No reason to when ownership and the coach are up in the air. This just seemed obvious and simple for both, for now.