• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Today: AngelsWin.com Exclusive Interview with Angels Prospect Chase Silseth

AngelsWin.com

DSC_0650.jpg

Photo by: Cristina Byrne-Sternberg/Rocket City Trash Pandas

By Chuck Richter, AngelsWin.com

September 22nd, 2022

It has been quite a season for Chase Silseth as he made his major league debut less than a year after being drafted by the Angels in the 11th round of the 2021 amateur draft and he was a significant contributor in the Trash Pandas first ever (combined) no-hitter where he spun seven hitless innings against Biloxi (on 9/3). Silseth also won two Southern Player of the Week Awards and ended the season with a shiny 2.28 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and 11.93 K/9, fanning 110 batters over 83 innings of work in 2022. 

Here's a look back Chase Silseth's impressive major league debut against the Athletics on May 13th in Oakland where he went 6 shutout innings, allowing just one hit striking out 4. 

Here's a mix tape of Chase Silseth's greatest hits in 2022, where his filthy arsenal was on full display in both Double-A and in the Major League this season.

In our interview with Chase you learn about his time with the Angels, being part of the Trash Panda's combined no-hitter, his pitching arsenal, what he needs to work on to become a successful major league starting pitcher, who he models his game after on the mound and also get to know the Angels right-hander on a more personal level on the lighter side of things.

Click on the video below to watch our entire interview with the Angels top RHP pitching prospect, Chase Silseth. 

View the full article

15 hours ago, Revad said:

Nice Interview!  Silseth makes an interesting point at around 2:35 in, he’d like for his learning curve to be sharp enough to use what he learns before and during his prime.  Or that’s the way I think of it.  Sounds super motivated.

Yeah I have a feeling he's only going to get better and in the end could end up being the best of all the pitchers the Angels took in the 2021 draft. That's TBD, but he sure has all the makings of being an ace. 

Last night he didn't have his best stuff and he still dug deep and gutted it out through 5 1/3, giving up just 1 ER. Much like his fellow teammate Ky Bush did in game one.

Here's a question to consider. Everyone has Ky Bush as the Angels top pitching prospect, but if you look at the numbers and the fact that the Angels called on Silseth first out of the top prospects from the 2021 draft, I'd argue Chase is ahead of Bush in the rankings. 

Thoughts? @Docwaukee, @ettin, @rafibomb, @Second Base, @Inside Pitch and others..

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Here's a question to consider. Everyone has Ky Bush as the Angels top pitching prospect, but if you look at the numbers and the fact that the Angels called on Silseth first out of the top prospects from the 2021 draft, I'd argue Chase is ahead of Bush in the rankings. 

Thoughts? @Docwaukee, @ettin, @rafibomb, @Second Base, @Inside Pitch and others..

I have Silseth ahead of bush in my rankings.  Who to put #2 overall keeps changing for me between Neto, Silseth and Quero.  It'll probably end up OHoppe, Neto, Silseth, Quero, Bush.  

1 minute ago, Docwaukee said:

I have Silseth ahead of bush in my rankings.  Who to put #2 overall keeps changing for me between Neto, Silseth and Quero.  It'll probably end up OHoppe, Neto, Silseth, Quero, Bush.  

Oh nice, I'm not alone then. That's exactly my current rankings as well. 

O'Hoppe is the clear #1

Neto

Silseth

Quero

Bush

--

After that is when it will get interesting with the likes of Blakely, Palencia, Costeiu, Bachman, Paris and Nelson Rada for me.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:28 AM, Chuckster70 said:

So both were drafted in 2021 and I ranked Bush at #9 over Silseth at #21. Both had a limited history in 2021 (which is what I based my decision on at that time) and a very small amount of IP (Bush had twice the number, but both were ridiculously small sample sizes), and so I based my limited view on other reports and his K/9 rate, so I placed Bush higher, but it was a "fuzzy" ranking for both.

Now I'd clearly state that Silseth has jumped above Bush and is clearly more ready for the Majors, thus the promotion, but that doesn't necessarily mean there is a wide chasm between the two, just that Chase's stuff has come together faster than Bush's, probably. You also have to consider that Silseth may be a trade target from another team and the Angels are giving him a Major League debut to see how he performs? Not saying that is the case, but you have to consider all possibilities, no matter how remote.

The likely option is that the Angels believe they have a really good SP and want to get him Major League experience in anticipation of a more permanent callup in 2023.

Edited by ettin

That all comes down to personal preference. I like Bush better. I like the angles he creates and I think he's going to be tough to square up. I also think Silseth is closer to a finished product whereas Bush, despite being in AA and having success, is going to continue to get better for a long time. 

A bit late but it’s Silseth for me. It’s just too hard to ignore the numbers he put up this season. He’s got the better stuff right now but Bush i feel is slowly getting better and better and could legitimately “break out” into a top 50 guy next season. 

• 4 months later...

Man it's going to be a solid battle for the 6th spot if the Angels don't go outside of the org if Canning and Rodriguez are truly healthy, then add in Barria, Davidson and our top RHP prospect, Chase Silseth who I'm really high on. 

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man it's going to be a solid battle for the 6th spot if the Angels don't go outside of the org if Canning and Rodriguez are truly healthy, then add in Barria, Davidson and our top RHP prospect, Chase Silseth who I'm really high on. 

And with multiple Angels starters playing in the WBC, there should plenty of Spring Training starts for those guys.

Barría potentially starting for Panama in the WBC would be a great test for him, since he’d presumably be facing tougher competition.

With Ohtani, Sandoval, and possibly Suarez and Detmers also in the WBC, more starts are available in Spring for Canning, Davidson, Rodriguez, Silseth, etc.