• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

“[The Angels] plan to interview for a permanent manager this winter” and “will conduct a full-scale managerial search after the year.”

BTH

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

One of the things I think some people forget and others probably don't even know is that when Scioscia and Stoneman came together in the Angels organization, they transformed the organization from top to bottom.  They instilled a philosophy and an expectation that hadn't existed before.  Call it the "Dodgers way" of whatever you want - but working together, Stoneman and Scioscia laid the foundation that allowed the Angels to win a WS and have success for a good stretch of time.  Once Stoneman "retired" they inserted Tony Reagins which probably gave Scioscia too much power/control.  That didn't work for long and when they brought in Dipoto, he clashed with Scioscia and the cycle continued with bad combinations of GM/Manager.  The point of this is that ever since Stoneman retired, this organization has failed to insert a GM/Manager combo that was in lock step with a specific vision.

Successful organizations do this.  Moreno has failed to do this.

The Angels have an opportunity this off season to get back to that. Minasian will have an opportunity to pick a manager and basically "transform" the organization in the manner in which he feels will make them successful.  Can he do it?  I have no idea, but I would venture to say this is the most important off season the Angels will have in quite some time.

Other than Ohtani, the managerial search is by far the most important thing coming.   Need to get on the same page and also bring in someone who’s good at getting the players to only think about today.   Lose the losing feeling from day one in ST, a new beginning.

14 minutes ago, DMVol said:

If his name wasn't Darrin Erstad, there wouldn't be any discussion about him...college coaches generally don't go directly to the major leagues as a manager....

There shouldn’t be any discussion about him.  He is nothing more than a player from the past that deliberately moved home to Nebraska, has no major league coaching experience and has never indicated in any way that he would even be remotely interested in managing in the majors.

Erstad’s name coming up in a discussion about managerial candidates is nothing more than some fans not being able to control their romantic memories.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Other than Ohtani, the managerial search is by far the most important thing coming.   Need to get on the same page and also bring in someone who’s good at getting the players to only think about today.   Lose the losing feeling from day one in ST, a new beginning.

In all honesty, I used to resist the idea of a recognizable “retread” for a manager.

But rather than get trying to get lucky and discover a new magic manager, I am pretty comfortable just landing a guy that has some significant experience who isn’t 65 years old.

It might no be as exciting at the initial moment of the hire, but I really just want a seasoned captain in the dugout that has done it already.

If they can’t land that, and they are OK going with a “new guy”, then just leave Nevin in the job since at least he has this season as experience.

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

If his name wasn't Darrin Erstad, there wouldn't be any discussion about him...college coaches generally don't go directly to the major leagues as a manager....

Wasn't he a finalist for the Dodgers job before he pulled himself out of the running?  I mean, if Friedman and company think a guy is smart enough to make it to finalist, chances are it's more than just simple name recognition.

39 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Erstad’s name coming up in a discussion about managerial candidates is nothing more than some fans not being able to control their romantic memories.

I have no idea how Erstad would do as a manager, but the more important point is that we shouldn't dismiss anyone based on our own biased opinions.  I would hope that Minasian is open to exploring any candidate, even unconventional ones, so long as they possess the experience and make-up he deems important to make the club successful.  Having a "closed mind" isn't beneficial. I hope Minasian keeps an open mind.

24 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I have no idea how Erstad would do as a manager, but the more important point is that we shouldn't dismiss anyone based on our own biased opinions.  I would hope that Minasian is open to exploring any candidate, even unconventional ones, so long as they possess the experience and make-up he deems important to make the club successful.  Having a "closed mind" isn't beneficial. I hope Minasian keeps an open mind.

Understood, but he isn’t a candidate.  Never has been.

And you said “I have no idea how Erstad would do as a manager.”

Me neither, and I don’t want to hire someone that I have no idea how it might work out.

I would prefer to have an experienced manager, which gives me a reasonable idea that they can actually do the job.

52 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wasn't he a finalist for the Dodgers job before he pulled himself out of the running?  I mean, if Friedman and company think a guy is smart enough to make it to finalist, chances are it's more than just simple name recognition.

Maybe he was. I am not aware of that.  My memory tells me his name comes up all the time because but that there is never anything to it since he lives in Nebraska and wants to stay there.

29 minutes ago, T.G. said:

54 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I wasn't bashing Erstad necessarily, no agenda there....He's done a good job in college but MLB is a totally different world...I don't recall the Dodgers situation, could be true....I just don't remember anybody going straight from college to the bigs.....Bobby Winkles, in another lifetime (as AO said), went from Arizona State to the Angels (he may have coached in the bigs for a year before the Angels hired him, not sure)....Could it be done? Sure....just don't recall it happening....College guys to the pros in other sports haven't tended to fare well---Spurrier, Saban, Caliparri, Leonard Hamilton, etc....

17 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Understood, but he isn’t a candidate.  Never has been.

Never said he was a candidate. 

And you said “I have no idea how Erstad would do as a manager.”

Me neither, and I don’t want to hire someone that I have no idea how it might work out.

So tell me, who do you think would work out and why?

I would prefer to have an experienced manager, which gives me a reasonable idea that they can actually do the job.

Such as? 

Lots of "experienced" managers fail.

Gabe Kapler had a failed experience in Philly, but is doing well in SF because he and their GM are on the same page.  Dave Roberts didn't have any managerial experience, but is having some success because he's in lock step with their front office.

Heck, Scioscia had a good run as a first time, major league manager.

Edited by T.G.

17 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I wasn't bashing Erstad necessarily, no agenda there....He's done a good job in college but MLB is a totally different world...I don't recall the Dodgers situation, could be true....I just don't remember anybody going straight from college to the bigs.....Bobby Winkles, in another lifetime (as AO said), went from Arizona State to the Angels (he may have coached in the bigs for a year before the Angels hired him, not sure)....Could it be done? Sure....just don't recall it happening....College guys to the pros in other sports haven't tended to fare well---Spurrier, Saban, Caliparri, Leonard Hamilton, etc....

I didn't think you were being harsh or the slightest bit dismissive of him so much as I felt it was worth mentioning the Dodger brain trust saw something in him.  I don't have an opinion on Erstad, or anyone else for that matter. 

When push comes to shove I want whoever they end up getting to be the GM's choice.

43 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Never said he was a candidate. 

So tell me, who do you think would work out and why?

Such as? 

Lots of "experienced" managers fail.

Gabe Kapler had a failed experience in Philly, but is doing well in SF because he and their GM are on the same page.  Dave Roberts didn't have any managerial experience, but is having some success because he's in lock step with their front office.

Heck, Scioscia had a good run as a first time, major league manager.

Nobody knows who would work out.  I would rather take the risk with somebody who has already had some success, that’s all.

In the context of what seems to almost be a consensus that the Angel front office is dysfunctional, I probably don’t trust them to be the front office that nails the “we have discovered the next great manager” project.

So I will take a guy that has done it already, whomever that might be.  I don’t have names for you.  When an opening starts to get addressed the names will emerge.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was Bobby Winkles his real name? Or was his name really Salvadore Flacone, but his Mob associates called him that?

no, his birth name is roberto something-or-other. the winkles moniker came from a lunch with joey "no-neck" piscatori. no-neck was squirting some lemon juice into his water (in tv & movies directors always deliberately avoid showing mobsters doing this, but it's well known that all your top level bosses like lemon with their water) and some of the juice was accidently squirted into roberto's left eye. for the rest of the meal no-neck thought roberto was winking at him, and the nickname just kind of stuck.

Given how Maddon, Ausmus, and Scioscia have been handled over the last few years.  I think it'll be a challenge to get a quality candidate. Someone new will want the experience.  Someone out of the game awhile will take any oppo to get back in.

I've become more convinced that any Managerial Candidate with experience knows exactly what they're dealing with when they take the job.  And the lifespan of that job.  Will they contend, etc.  And so their demeanor reflects that.

1 minute ago, budice0 said:

Given how Maddon, Ausmus, and Scioscia have been handled over the last few years.  I think it'll be a challenge to get a quality candidate. Someone new will want the experience.  Someone out of the game awhile will take any oppo to get back in.

Scioscia got 18 seasons with the Angels, so I don’t see the issue with the way he was “handled.”

I think the biggest issue is the way they handled Ausmus, as he was in a horrible spot, didn’t do a horrible job, and only got 1 season because of the owner.

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

Scioscia got 18 seasons with the Angels, so I don’t see the issue with the way he was “handled.”

I think the biggest issue is the way they handled Ausmus, as he was in a horrible spot, didn’t do a horrible job, and only got 1 season because of the owner.

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

Ausmus was the worst manager I'd ever seen, but then we have Nevin now.