• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who closes next year?

Who will be the Angels closer next year?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Angels closer next year?

• Current reliever (Herget, Quijada, etc)
    • Current prospect (Bachman, Joyce, etc)
    • Closer by committee
    • Free agent or trade
    • No idea - this team is flailing and/or Perry's lying, and they're not contending next year so it doesn't matter

Let's take Minasian at his word, and assume he's serious about contending next year. Trading away an elite closer, even one who stumbled a bit this year (but whose peripherals say he's not in decline), is a funny way of saying "we can contend next year." In fact, it can easily be interpreted as a sign that they're focused on rebuilding for the next year or three.

But let's say he means what he said, and hopes to put together a contending ball-club next next year. Who is our closer? As the article linked above mentioned, the free agent market for elite relievers this offseason is rather sparse, with only Edwin Diaz standing out. Diaz might not cost as much as Iglesias, but given that he's the lone elite closer on the market, it won't be far off. So that seems unlikely, even if Perry seems to like lateral moves.

Another option is closer by committee. While this has always sounded good on paper, from my memory it rarely seems to work out well. For whatever reason, a designated closer seems like the best option.

Speaking of options, there aren't really any on the current team that scream "this guy is a closer in the making." Tepera or Loup? Herget? Quijada? Hard to see it. 

And then there are prospects. Bachman could very well be the closer of the future, but A) Is still young and unseasoned and rookies rarely become closers, and B) They haven't given up on him being a starter yet. Ben Joyce could also eventually be the closer, but he hasn't even pitched a professional game yet and will spend, at the very least, most of 2023 in the minors. As others have mentioned, using Chris Rodriguez as a reliever is a bit of a waste. Luke Murphy and Luis Torres both look promising in AA and are true relievers, but point A for Bachman above applies.

Another hybrid option is that they start the season with a committee, then hope someone emerges as "the guy."

There's seven months until Opening Day 2023, but this seems like an open-ended question with no clear or obvious solution.

NOTE: I included that fifth option in case you just couldn't bring yourself to believe Minasian.

Edited by Angelsjunky

I can see it being either Bachman or Joyce, but if you're truly contending im not sure a rookie closer makes sense. To be honest Quijada seems to have the mental makeup (and stuff) to be a closer. Given the volatility in the reliever realm i can see the bullpen being very similar next year. For all you know Loup and Tepera are lights out. Perhaps C-rod comes back healthy (LOL) and you bring back bradley on the cheap and he turns it around and closes.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think they start with a current reliever. By the end of the year it's Bachman or Joyce.

That makes sense. 

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I can see it being either Bachman or Joyce, but if you're truly contending im not sure a rookie closer makes sense. To be honest Quijada seems to have the mental makeup (and stuff) to be a closer. Given the volatility in the reliever realm i can see the bullpen being very similar next year. For all you know Loup and Tepera are lights out. Perhaps C-rod comes back healthy (LOL) and you bring back bradley on the cheap and he turns it around and closes.

Quijada is probably the most likely candidate of current relievers, but he has to get that walk rate down.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

That makes sense. 

Quijada is probably the most likely candidate of current relievers, but he has to get that walk rate down.

I think it's gonna be committee this year, Tepera/Loup/Quijada/Ortega/Chavez all probably get 2-3 save opportunities down the stretch.

Then it's a battle in camp next year.

I don’t know man.  Who cares.  I’ll worry about this when it’s worth thinking about.  So, I don’t know.  Let’s say in January after I’ve been able to mind fuck myself into thinking they might be good.  This is the annual ritual I do with the Angels.  I’m sticking to it. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

It depends on the manager, but I could see them going with the modern formula of having no defined closer and instead going with the best matchup.

Essentially that's a closer by committee, and Nevin said that's what they're gonna do the rest of this season.

In 2022, Loup/Quijada from the left side and Herget/Tepera from the right side.

After the season you can reevaluate those 4 plus any other internal options and decide whether you need to add someone to the mix or elevate an internal option up/down from that group of high leverage/closer by committee guys.

They are already spending on Loup and Tepera, and spending on relievers is not the best strategy to begin with. I’m hoping the 2021 draft starts paying dividends next year by fleshing out the bullpen with talented young arms and someone emerges as the closer. Could be any of the names already mentioned. I just hope they don’t spend more on a reliever. Unrelated but, man do I miss Scot Shields. 

3 minutes ago, halodground said:

They are already spending on Loup and Tepera, and spending on relievers is not the best strategy to begin with. I’m hoping the 2021 draft starts paying dividends next year by fleshing out the bullpen with talented young arms and someone emerges as the closer. Could be any of the names already mentioned. I just hope they don’t spend more on a reliever. Unrelated but, man do I miss Scot Shields. 

Shield's 2-seamer at the lefty to just nibble the corner was a thing of beauty