• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Manager in 2023

Hubs

Angels Manager in 2023 is  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Angels Manager in 2023?

• Nevin
    • Montgomery
    • Scioscia
    • Girardi
    • Someone Else

4 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

It would be better received had he put forth pros and cons and provide his thought process

Better received by who?  You?

Mebbe that's too much to ask tho.

Mebbe you should think before you post.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Problem is, they are 16-30 since he took over. 

They would have been 16-30 with (insert fanboy manager name) also.  Show us the games lost due to Nevin.

What is the Angel starter season payroll in the last 46 games compared to the teams they lost to?

Show us how Nevin spent the off season with Perry planning the roster.

2 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

They would have been 16-30 with (insert fanboy manager name) also.  Show us the games lost due to Nevin.

What is the Angel starter season payroll in the last 46 games compared to the teams they lost to?

Show us how Nevin spent the off season with Perry planning the roster.

Here’s the thing.

They need to wipe the slate clean as far as the manager and coaching staff is concerned.    Then in ST, it’s a new direction with Minasian’s own guy.

Hopefully, he chooses wisely.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

1) Scioscia managed Ohtani for one season, his rookie year, and he had Tommy John after that season. So, they didn't get to fully explore how to handle him.

2) Anyone who thinks he is done as a manager is not correct. He may not want to take a non-Los Angeles or Southern California job, seeing as he's spent the past 40+ years in SoCal. 

3) Moreno may look at the past 4 years and think, gee, maybe firing Scioscia wasn't the best idea.

Moreno may look at the past 4 years and think, gee maybe not renewing Scoscia wasn't the best idea.

6 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Better received by who?  You?

Mebbe you should think before you post.

By viewers that are interested in understanding someone's point of view.

You just seem like a guy who tries to be the forum clown.  Maybe bully is a better word.  Looking forward to your takes once they contain some thought content and exceed two sentences.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Here’s the thing.

They need to wipe the slate clean as far as the manager and coaching staff is concerned.    Then in ST, it’s a new direction with Minasian’s own guy.

Hopefully, he chooses wisely.

That is a valid school of thought and you may be correct.  Nevin could be "wrong place wrong time", and be swept out.   Nothing wrong with cleaning house to get rid of any bad juju.

Personally I think Nevin is a good manager.  Perry brought him is for a reason though, and Perry did give Nevin the nod after firing Maddon.

By viewers that are interested in understanding someone's point of view.

You just seem like a guy who tries to be the forum clown.  Maybe bully is a better word.  Looking forward to your takes once they contain some thought content and exceed two sentences.

You're just upset because I'm calling you out on your BS.

39 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

The guy who started this thread just has an unknown agenda against Nevin.  Don't ask me why.   The OP has no alternatives, just wanted to put a thread out there to sit back with his popcorn and wait for dopes to bash Nevin.   So infantile.

Nevin is a players coach and probably cares more about winning than the majority on this forum.

If you took some time to read any of the 3K+ posts by @Hubs, you would see your characterization is not correct.

1 hour ago, Slegnaac said:

Any chance that Patrick O'Neal gets the job so we can get someone else as PBP on TV?

@Slegnaac I can't stand him. I used to be lukewarm with Gubi, but I think that's because Victor Rojas and him were great. When it's anyone else with Gubicza I just can't listen for more than a few innings. 

Sad. 

Before this year, I didn't think managers--or coaches in general--had much of an impact. However, I'm kind of astounded at some of what I've seen. I put a lot of this on players. But some of it is kind of just terrible. 

-4-5 terrible base running gaffes
-Constantly overthrowing the cutoff
-Hideous bunting in obvious bunting situations, including extra innings
-Not playing the ball off the wall, not playing to the wall
-Approach to hitting--taking too many fastballs, striking out looking, getting behind in the count frequently
-Getting picked by multiple teams; veterans (Ohtani, Lorenzen, maybe Thor) and young guys (Detmers, Peguero)
-Better results from AAA coaching (Detmers)
-Changing pitch mix in July after a bad stretch (Suarez, Sandoval)

Again, I don't put all of this on coaches. The players haven't executed. But I really, really have a hard time thinking these kind of things would work if we had Cintron or Brant Brown as our hitting coach, or Prior or Kranitz as our pitching coach. I think coaching at its best in baseball maximizes talent--it doesn't create it. I don't see our coaches doing that. 

I'd prefer someone from the Braves, Astros, or Dodgers. No shame in copying people that do it the right way. Just don't hire Erstad, GA, and Weaver and expect a return to greatness. We need a new voice, not one of Arte's favorites. 

Somebody not named Phil Nevin.

I'm still puzzled why Maddon got fired - just to replace him with Nevin.

Look - I have been a huge fan/supporter of Arte Moreno since he bought the club years ago - but it's come to the point Halos need more than a new manager/ GM --  Arte needs to sell the team.  A sole proprietor competing against corporate conglomerates just doesn't work.  The whole stadium lease situation - which was a mess only to be 'finalized' is once again UN-Finalized and a total mess tied up in local politics and now potential criminal investigation - a total debacle.  

Halos have the two best players in MLB and are 15 games below .500.   Their future in Anaheim with the Stadium lease is once again up in the air --- ARTE can sell the club for 15 times what he paid for it -  good time to hit the exit.

26 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Seriously only reason I would like to see Scioscia back is because he is three seasons from top 15 wins in history and everyone among them is either in HOF or should be in HOF.

Scioscia isn't coming back to this mess.  He's old school and his managerial style was passe' four years. ago when he left. It's more so now.  DARIN ERSTAD ! -- although his all out effort, hustle style might be too taxing for today's players.