• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh

I still think Brandon Marsh is more likely to be a good player than Jo Adell. Part of that is even though he's been disappointing the last two seasons, Marsh has still produced 1.4 WAR over 154 games, and that's with an 81 wRC+. Meaning, he's already at the bench/fringe level. If he becomes even just a league average hitter (100 wRC+), he's a solid regular (2-3 WAR). If he hits 120 wRC+, he's a borderline star (4+ WAR).

Adell, on the other hand, is at -1.8 WAR in 103 games, which isn't all 2020: he's at -0.6 in 30 games this year. Meaning, he's not really any better than he was two years ago, when he looked totally over-matched by major league pitching. Furthermore, unlike Marsh, his secondary skills are bad: he's not a good baserunner and his defense sucks (-13.0 Fld). 

I suppose we could look at someone like Austin Riley with some sense of hope. Riley was pretty bad his first two years: .232/.288/.448, 86 wRC+ and 0.0 WAR in 131 games at age 22-23. He busted out at age 24, hitting .303/.367/.531 with 135 wRC+ and 4.7 WAR last year, and is even better this year.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I still think Brandon Marsh is more likely to be a good player than Jo Adell. Part of that is even though he's been disappointing the last two seasons, Marsh has still produced 1.4 WAR over 154 games, and that's with an 81 wRC+. Meaning, he's already at the bench/fringe level. If he becomes even just a league average hitter (100 wRC+), he's a solid regular (2-3 WAR). If he hits 120 wRC+, he's a borderline star (4+ WAR).

Adell, on the other hand, is at -1.8 WAR in 103 games, which isn't all 2020: he's at -0.6 in 30 games this year. Meaning, he's not really any better than he was two years ago, when he looked totally over-matched by major league pitching. Furthermore, unlike Marsh, his secondary skills are bad: he's not a good baserunner and his defense sucks (-13.0 Fld). 

I suppose we could look at someone like Austin Riley with some sense of hope. Riley was pretty bad his first two years: .232/.288/.448, 86 wRC+ and 0.0 WAR in 131 games at age 22-23. He busted out at age 24, hitting .303/.367/.531 with 135 wRC+ and 4.7 WAR last year, and is even better this year.

Yeah, I disagree.  All Adell has to do is have a normal adjustment for his age on plate discipline and his already present/obvious raw power skill becomes the driver of his offensive success and production.  There really isn’t a reason at this point that this won’t happen.

If he has made no improvement at the end of the year then I will be more concerned.

The thing with Marsh is he seems lost at the plate, and he does not have the power tool that Adell has.  Yes, it could come as he matures, but it doesn’t even exist yet.

Edited by Dtwncbad

10 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Agreed. To let him continue to flail away at every bad pitch will only ruin him mentally.

And yes, he needs to drop the cave man shtick. In the current context it's stupid and silly.

Glad they apparently buried the cowboy hat. That was a clown act.

Exactly.  When you're a rookie trying to make the club, you don't draw attention to your self with outlandish looking hair or anything else.    Stop with the hot dogging look at me  vibe.   Shut up and hit.

12 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've been looking forward to the Marsh-Trout-Adell outfield for like five years.

The result so far isn't what I hoped it would be.

That Kotchman, Kendrick, Aybar, McPherson infield, though.... with Mathis behind the plate.

2/5 were solid for a while.

Don't @ me #5 lovers

I hate prospects 

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

@Jeff Fletcher have you asked the Angels why they’re letting Marsh continue to struggle at the major league level instead of sending him down?

If so, what’d they say? If not, could you ask them?

I did a couple weeks ago. They said his defense is still helping them. 

Now with Trout out they don’t really have a choice. 

12 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Yeah, I disagree.  All Adell has to do is have a normal adjustment for his age on plate discipline and his already present/obvious raw power skill becomes the driver of his offensive success and production.  There really isn’t a reason at this point that this won’t happen.

If he has made no improvement at the end of the year then I will be more concerned.

The thing with Marsh is he seems lost at the plate, and he does not have the power tool that Adell has.  Yes, it could come as he matures, but it doesn’t even exist yet.

I mean, maybe.

I think Adell has too many holes in his game, with a "soft underbelly" that will limit his value. I mean, maybe his plate discipline improves a bit so we start seeing his power unlocked. Then he's a .250/.300/.500, 30 HR hitter with bad defense and mediocre base-running. A 2-3 WAR guy.

Meanwhile, Marsh makes similar improvements, and he's a .265/.330/.420, 15-20 HR hitter with very good defense and good base-running. A 3-4 WAR guy.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

You mean like "Adell and Walsh to the Nats for Soto, who hangs up" level dumb?

It goes more like this.  Hey @Jeff Fletcher who fakes injuries worse Trout or Rendon? Do you think the Angels are better without Rendon since Mayfield is obviously better?  If the team cared about winning they’d have Wallach up here catching instead of Stassi, right Jeff?  

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

You mean like "Adell and Walsh to the Nats for Soto, who hangs up" level dumb?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

It goes more like this.  Hey @Jeff Fletcher who fakes injuries worse Trout or Rendon? Do you think the Angels are better without Rendon since Mayfield is obviously better?  If the team cared about winning they’d have Wallach up here catching instead of Stassi, right Jeff?  

@CaliAngel says… “hold my beer.”

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I did a couple weeks ago. They said his defense is still helping them. 

Now with Trout out they don’t really have a choice. 

I mean, they do have other choices.

If they wanted to prioritize Marsh’s development at AAA, they could select Harrison or Sierra to the roster.

56 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Lagares and Harrison are gone and Rojas can’t play CF. 

Also, I don’t think any of them would be better than Marsh offensively or defensively. 

Harrison isn’t gone… he cleared waivers and was outrighted to AAA. He played for Salt Lake last night.

Just now, Trendon said:

I mean, they do have other choices.

If they wanted to prioritize Marsh’s development at AAA, they could select Harrison or Sierra to the roster.

And release who to do that and release who when Fletcher comes back?  Or are we a player short off the 40 man now?

Just now, Stradling said:

And release who to do that and release who when Fletcher comes back?  Or are we a player short off the 40 man now?

DFA Diaz or Toussaint.

When Fletcher gets back, DFA Gosselin or Villar.

If they wanted to prioritize development of one of their former top prospects, potentially losing Diaz or Toussaint on waivers is a price they should be easily willing to pay.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

DFA Diaz or Toussaint.

When Fletcher gets back, DFA Gosselin or Villar.

If they wanted to prioritize development of one of their former top prospects, potentially losing Diaz or Toussaint on waivers is a price they should be easily willing to pay.

There you go