• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels reassign several coaches

mmc

Newbie here.  I'm at a loss how this team's strikeout rate is rarely brought up.  How is it the team axes the manager yet the hitting coach keeps his job while the team is in the upper tiers in strikeouts?  Our team will likely lead the majors in strikeouts by the end of tonight's game.  I've never been so baffled as an Angels fan.  A playoff team will get a batter on second base with no outs and likely get him home with a groundout and a sacrifice fly.  Nope, not the 2022 Angels.  Hard to bring them in when you're swinging and missing.  

1 hour ago, 79CAAman said:

Newbie here.  I'm at a loss how this team's strikeout rate is rarely brought up.  How is it the team axes the manager yet the hitting coach keeps his job while the team is in the upper tiers in strikeouts?  Our team will likely lead the majors in strikeouts by the end of tonight's game.  I've never been so baffled as an Angels fan.  A playoff team will get a batter on second base with no outs and likely get him home with a groundout and a sacrifice fly.  Nope, not the 2022 Angels.  Hard to bring them in when you're swinging and missing.  

Wow. I just looked that up.  It's alarming for sure. 

2 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

Not to defend the Angels because I hate the strike out rates in MLB but when the Angels took over first place in K’s for the majors, they passed up the defending World Series Champion Braves.  My point being that K’s are way up and for whatever reason they aren’t the net negative to an offense they once were for some teams.  The Angels were the number one offense in the league for the first 6 weeks and were leading the league in K’s.  

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My point being that K’s are way up and for whatever reason they aren’t the net negative to an offense they once were for some teams.  The Angels were the number one offense in the league for the first 6 weeks and were leading the league in K’s.  

Important to point out K's aren't the net negative they once were for SOME teams, because offensively they make up for the K's in other ways. 

I'm fine with 10 K's a night if it means we're getting timely hits when we need them and score runs. *cough* last night *cough* But we're not. 

A team like the Braves makes up for their high number of strikeouts with good at bats and decent contact in clutch situations that produces runs and wins. 

Besides the first 6 weeks of the season, the Angels don't currently make up for their high number of strikeouts. They're usually combined with poor fundamental approaches and lousy contact. Thus 8 shutouts this year.  

So for a team like the Braves K's might not be a big deal because their offense recoups the net negative with other offensive positives. Right now the Angels do not and the high K's combined with their other slumping offensive numbers mean that something is seriously wrong. If you've been an Angel fan for the past decade you know it has been this way for a while (minus small stints of success), thus the losing seasons, and lack of playoff appearances. 

I agree with the newbie our offense is baffling, but I don't know how much a batting coach has to do with situational hitting and approach at the plate.

We watch strikes and swing at balls, or in Stassi's case go up there and do absolutely nothing.  

What I really FAIL to understand is how is it that Madden is let go before any of the coaches?  I think letting Madden go was a too heavy handed.  Why not fire a shot across the bow first by letting go of the hitting coach?  In Sunday night's game against the Mets, the Angels made Taijuan Walker look like Justin Verlander in his prime.  10 K's IN SIX INNINGS!  WALKER HAS 38 FOR THE SEASON.  Tied for 138th in K's.  This crazy strikeout rate just does not seem to be addressed.  It's nuts... so nuts!

2 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

What I really FAIL to understand is how is it that Madden is let go before any of the coaches?  I think letting Madden go was a too heavy handed.  Why not fire a shot across the bow first by letting go of the hitting coach?  In Sunday night's game against the Mets, the Angels made Taijuan Walker look like Justin Verlander in his prime.  10 K's IN SIX INNINGS!  WALKER HAS 38 FOR THE SEASON.  Tied for 138th in K's.  This crazy strikeout rate just does not seem to be addressed.  It's nuts... so nuts!

Madden is dead.

3 hours ago, 79CAAman said:

Because Joe Maddon was off the rails and was in a conflict with his superiors. No shot across the bow was going to get him to steer a correct course. 

5 hours ago, Sully151 said:

It’s the called strike one and three’s that piss me off.

Last night, Trout watched a fast ball right down the middle in the 9th inning. Stassi watched a called third strike. 

Swing the f’ing bat.

Trout did it again tonight in the 9th, only this time it was two pitches he watched go by.

It's a mystery how a team can start so well, and then so quickly fall out of contention.  Something is way off track here, and it's going to be painful to watch it play out.  Part of it is that the deeper they dig their hole, the more pressure develops until you bury yourself.

It really seems like this team plays a retarded, half assed form of baseball. Boring as hell, really. Maybe one big multi homer game followed by a whole string of games where they look pathetic and hapless at bat. 

Do they ever ever win games without hitting home runs?  It seems they just go up like it's T ball or batting practice, swinging for the fences regardless of situation. 

When small ball situations arise they seem either reluctant or incapable of executing fundamental plays. You  see consistent confusion on the bases,  trouble moving runners the few times they even try. 

And up and down the lineup they strike out so much that you expect it most of the time. From everyone, one to nine. 

Whether it's an intentional organizational philosophy or just the  skill set of the players the results speak for themselves.