• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

On 3/15/2017 at 11:48 AM, gotbeer said:

I've always wondered.  Regarding the nuke tests.  There are some where you have spectators, some getting real close, like the one's at sea.  Has there been a study on how those blasts affected those military personnel?  You would think that they would show signs of radiation, but you never really hear anything about it.

I have no doubt that there were thousands of servicemen and locals (both out in the Pacific and here in the US) that were affected by fallout from the testing done at the Marshall Islands (where Bikini Atoll is) and also at the Nevada and New Mexico testing sites.  One of the big issues is getting the government to admit that the cancers caused by the fallout were directly related to the bombing, since the exposure doesn't cause a specific type of cancer (although Thyroid cancer is huge due to uptake of Iodine 131).  Then the argument becomes "Well, how do we know that the exposure to radiation caused this cancer and not your own natural predisposition to this sort of cancer?"  When entire towns are exposed to fallout due to nearby testing and a large percentage end up with cancers of some form or another, it gets harder to defend.  Not sure that there is a solid, indisputable record at this point.

Anyone want to guess where the most radioactive place on the planet is currently?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I have never watched The Office until Netflix put the entire series up recently. Where the hell have I been? That is one of the funniest shows I've ever see and I can't get enough of it. Now I know what @NJHalo avatar is.

Mose is the best.

30 minutes ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

I have no doubt that there were thousands of servicemen and locals (both out in the Pacific and here in the US) that were affected by fallout from the testing done at the Marshall Islands (where Bikini Atoll is) and also at the Nevada and New Mexico testing sites.  One of the big issues is getting the government to admit that the cancers caused by the fallout were directly related to the bombing, since the exposure doesn't cause a specific type of cancer (although Thyroid cancer is huge due to uptake of Iodine 131).  Then the argument becomes "Well, how do we know that the exposure to radiation caused this cancer and not your own natural predisposition to this sort of cancer?"  When entire towns are exposed to fallout due to nearby testing and a large percentage end up with cancers of some form or another, it gets harder to defend.  Not sure that there is a solid, indisputable record at this point.

Anyone want to guess where the most radioactive place on the planet is currently?

I would think the obvious guess would be Fukushima or Chernobyl, so it's probably neither one.

Alright, maybe I should've said arguably the most radioactive place on earth since there are places we aren't allowed to check or where those numbers aren't available.  This video is really interesting and the narrator end up in the basement of the hospital where they treated the firefighters who fought at Chernobyl.  Their outfits were so radioactive, they chucked them into the basement and they are still there giving off lots of radiation.  If anyone has 10 minutes, the video is entertaining.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:48 AM, gotbeer said:

I've always wondered.  Regarding the nuke tests.  There are some where you have spectators, some getting real close, like the one's at sea.  Has there been a study on how those blasts affected those military personnel?  You would think that they would show signs of radiation, but you never really hear anything about it.

Yeah there were studies on this.

The first ones they didn't know how much the radiation would hurt people, so after they blew up a ship like at Operation Crossroads (bikini atoll) they literally had guys swim over and inspect the wreckage. I think this stopped after people freaked out about how much radiation they were being exposed to.

They also gave thousands of people nearby little radiation testers to wear. Most of those people were fine. But they couldn't even test for plutonium at the time. 

But those islands are still uninhabitable. Sucks for the native they moved off so they could destroy the area.

1 hour ago, HaloJustinBieber said:

Alright, maybe I should've said arguably the most radioactive place on earth since there are places we aren't allowed to check or where those numbers aren't available.  This video is really interesting and the narrator end up in the basement of the hospital where they treated the firefighters who fought at Chernobyl.  Their outfits were so radioactive, they chucked them into the basement and they are still there giving off lots of radiation.  If anyone has 10 minutes, the video is entertaining.

I remember in high school when this happened.  It definitely isn't like today, and the instant fake news.  It took days for people to figure out what happened, mainly due to it was the USSR and they controlled all the news.  The first hint that the west got that something was wrong was the radioactive smoke that was seen from sattelites, that was drifting all across Europe.  News was speculating something was happening in the USSR, but couldn't say for sure what exactly.  Only days, if not weeks after, did we learn what really happened.  And even then, it might have been years before we really knew the scope of what happened. 

I watched some documentary where they were talking about how some nuclear workers were showing up to work in Poland (I think) a day or two after the initial incident, which was well over 500 miles away.  The employees were sent through detectors both going into and out of the nuclear plant.  Some were setting off the detectors on the way in because of particles they had on them that were carried from Chernobyl.  It set off panic at that facility.  That's when people outside of Russia became suspicious and began calling around to other nations asking about issues, and ultimately when the Russian officials began speaking about it (at least amongst the government and nuclear folk).

And, the Chernobyl explosion could've been MUCH worse.  The reactor was cratering inside and underneath.  The Russians were in a race to keep it from reaching an underground natural water source that would've caused an epic reaction.  Some experts thought that, in retrospect, if they hadn't gotten it under control that the resultant fallout would've carried over all of Russian and Europe, making most uninhabitable.

On March 17, 2017 at 9:32 PM, cezero said:

On the Graham Norton Show, just saw Patrick Stewart say that Logan was going to be his last go as Professor X. 

Also, Stewart is going to be in the upcoming "Emoji Movie". He's playing the poop emoji. Yep, it's going to have a British accent. 

Spoiler alert 

Spoiler

Professor X dies in Logan. It's a great movie

On 3/17/2017 at 7:13 PM, Vernster52 said:

The Expanse on SyFy.

While most SyFy originals are really bad (think movies), this has me.

Expanse is good.  Not BSG good.  But it's solid.  Although must admit, DVR must have missed a few episodes, because the last episode I watched made no sense to the timeline.

Finished "Rebellion" about the Irish revolution in 1916. Yesterday there was a history show about the results from this action. Made the whole thing come together and make more sense to why they did it.

Just started "The Crown" based on recommendations from this thread. Very interesting to learn the history of how she came to be Queen. I've read about it a long time ago in history class. But watching it in a show makes it so much more interesting. Have only watched the first episode. Looking forward to more.

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

Finished "Rebellion" about the Irish revolution in 1916. Yesterday there was a history show about the results from this action. Made the whole thing come together and make more sense to why they did it.

Just started "The Crown" based on recommendations from this thread. Very interesting to learn the history of how she came to be Queen. I've read about it a long time ago in history class. But watching it in a show makes it so much more interesting. Have only watched the first episode. Looking forward to more.

I'd recommend watching The King's Speech before The Crown... it's kinda like the prequel... 

So finally got to watch the Netflix shows.  Just finished Daredevil season 1.  Was very disappointed.  Fisk/Kingpin character was solid beginning, but then went off the rails in the end.  The secretary needs to die.  Daredevil was Ben Afflecish.  The other partner was I guess comedy relief.  I'm hoping Jessica Jones is going to be better.  But man, what a letdown so far.

On 3/18/2017 at 10:56 PM, gotbeer said:

Expanse is good.  Not BSG good.  But it's solid.  Although must admit, DVR must have missed a few episodes, because the last episode I watched made no sense to the timeline.

I've read the first set of books associated with The Expanse. Was good stuff, though the lead character became more annoying the longer the series went on. Haven't picked up the series after the initial trilogy. Did enjoy the first season of the Expanse, have the second season on DVR and will probably start it soon.

3 minutes ago, cezero said:

I never thought of watching the show, but it was one of my favorite movies growing up.  

Movie is amazing!

I never thought about watching the show either, but my wife pointed out that she never picked a show for us so I gave in. It was alright, especially if you're married with kids. 

Just now, cezero said:

I've got it on my watch list. I like a lot of the cast, especially Peter Krause. 

Man, he is so different in this than in 6 Feet Under. Mind blowing. That or I just don't remember his character that well from 6FU

I saw Peter Krause at Madison Square Garden last week for the NY Rangers vs. Lightning game.  I couldn't remember who he was, I just knew he was someone I should recognize. Not many people bothered him, so I guess he is anonymous enough looking.

Maybe he was with O'Brien?