• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm Starting to Believe - A Stroll through Angels History and a Look at the 2022 Club

Excellent overview.

Yes, depth is a big key to sustained winning. But without long term injuries this team should be able to keep up a winning pace. And winning breeds confidence and solidarity. Don't underestimate the mental side. 

The back to back shutout losses now seem an anomaly, but are a warning of what can happen even to the best teams. It's how you come back that matters. Madden now seems totally comfortable and not prone to over reactions. With the core of the lineup as solid as any he has the luxury of prioritizing defense in the he middle infield. Where it is most important. At this point Valasquez and Rengifo just need to stay steady in the field and chip in occasionally at the plate. Even by taking walks, sacrificing, moving runners, they can let the offense roll over. And I still think that Rengifo has some power potential. Last year a lot of his hits were doubles. If he can be disciplined at the plate he may surprise. 

For the first time in ages the starters are going a respectable distance. So many games were lost the last few years by bad long relievers. It makes a huge difference when the starters eat up innings and keep the score down. But time will tell about the pitching since the season is still early.

Not to be overlook either is the fun factor. This team has developed it's own persona, and it's been contagious. Of course, winning does that, but there have been many great teams that were dour corporate entities. Like the Yankees of old. Elite professionals who rarely smiled or showed any emotion. Being a fan of a team that displays  positive energy  makes you more empathetic as the season unfolds. 

42 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Great read, @Angelsjunky.

You've led in with @Dochalo in your last 2-3 articles. Good guy to reference 🙂

I mean, maybe I have a mancrush on Doc. There's nothing wrong with that, right?

I've also referenced @Angel Oracle at least twice, and one or two others, I believe.

Edited by Angelsjunky

So far, this team has been able to avoid playing several bad games in a row.

As of today, they have not lost 3 games in a row all season. 

I don't know if any Angels team has managed to do that over 30 games into a season. I started to look it up the other night, and I went through about the last 15, or so, and every team had at least one 3 game losing streak in their first 30 games.

Nice post!

Been a fan since mid 70's, and yes there does seem to be something about this current team!

Went to both 1982 home games against the Brewers.

Saw a 9/2022 game against the A's while both teams were hot.

Was working part time for the company that provides security for Anaheim Stadium.

Ended up working all the Twins and Yankees games. One of the Yankees games I was working behind the Autry's suite, and saw Mrs. Autry a few times during that day.

Only was able work Game 1 of the World Series, but also was to be in charge of about 15 "yellow coats" and we were up in View from the end of the stadium in.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Am I reading this right? Youre saying Angels were 4-17 in the playoffs from 04-09?

Thats not correct.

You are correct. They were 4-17 in the last series they played, but 10-19 overall, or 2-5 in terms of series (they won 2 divisional, lost 3 divisional and 2 championship). My mistake.

Still, not a great postseason record. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

Syndergaard, Sandoval, Detmers: hoping for big things from these three.

Taylor Ward and Tyler Wade: spark plugs

Trout: please stay healthy and maybe another MVP season is in the cards.

Rendon: bring back some of that Nationals' magic.

Ohtani: see the ball, destroy the ball! It's not rocket science.

Walsh and Marsh: coming into their own as power hitters.

Revamped bullpen: possibly the most important factor.

This team is for real! 

On 5/11/2022 at 10:24 PM, Angelsjunky said:

You are correct. They were 4-17 in the last series they played, but 10-19 overall, or 2-5 in terms of series (they won 2 divisional, lost 3 divisional and 2 championship). My mistake.

Still, not a great postseason record. 

Yeah, lots of letdowns.

That said, they lost to the WS champs in 04. And 05. And 07. And 09.

So at least its kind of understandable.

How much better is the pitching?

The Angels have 7 shutouts in their last 32 games.

The Angels had 8 shutouts in their previous 403 games.

I don't know when was the last time they had 7 shutouts in 32 games, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was when Ryan,and Tanana, were in their prime, and maybe not even then.

40 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

I don't know when was the last time they had 7 shutouts in 32 games, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was when Ryan,and Tanana, were in their prime, and maybe not even then.

It makes me happy when someone else posts nerdy stat stuff like this. I feel less alone in my nerd-dom.

In all seriousness, I'm going to try to answer that question - but will be lazy, and only look at 7 shutouts within 32 games in the same season.

As you said, the Angels have 7 shutouts this year. Last year they had 4, then 2 each in 2019-20 (the 2 in 2019 was the second lowest total in franchise history, in a full season - after 2001). Then from 9 to 16 every year from 2002-18.

To get to 20 team SHO in a season you have to go back to 1989 - and the Angels did have 7 SHO through their first 27 games.

I also checked 2012 because they had 16 SHO, and it looks like they had 7 SHO in a 26-game span, from June 16 to July 17. The starting pitchers were Ervin Santana, Garret Richards x2, Jered Weaver x3, and Brad Mills, who I forgot existed.

So that's probably your answer: 2012. I suppose it is theoretically possible that they did so in the 2013-18 range, but mathematically very unlikely.

The Angels tied for the Major League lead in shutouts in 2012 with 16. Not just the AL, but the entire league.

However, they were only 18th in overall ERA.  Obviously, they were pretty bad when they weren't throwing shutouts.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:58 PM, gurn67 said:

So far, this team has been able to avoid playing several bad games in a row.

As of today, they have not lost 3 games in a row all season. 

I don't know if any Angels team has managed to do that over 30 games into a season. I started to look it up the other night, and I went through about the last 15, or so, and every team had at least one 3 game losing streak in their first 30 games.

I finally had some time to look it up. The 2022 Angels are currently through 34 games without a 3 game losing streak. That means worst case scenario, they'll go 36 games without one.

There are 5 Angels teams that started the season with longer streaks than that.

2008 was the last time. They went 37 games.

1970 & 1985 both went 44 games

1995 went 57 games before the wheels came off later that Summer.

In 2000 (Sosh's first year) the Angels didn't have a 3 game losing streak until game number 66. That team had terrible starting pitching, but a solid bullpen. They also had 5 different players in the lineup who had at least 97 RBI's, and scored at least 92 runs. (Vaughn, Glaus, Salmon, Anderson & Erstad who had a season for the ages)

That team didn't win many games in a row either, they just tended not to lose very many in a row. When they finally had a 3 game losing streak, their record was only 33-33.

3 hours ago, gurn67 said:

That would be one of my guesses, the other would be when they had Chuck Finley, Mark Langston and Jim Abbot.  

How much better is the defense?

Angels are 23rd is strikeouts per 9 innings. However, they're 1st in lowest batting average allowed. Last year, they were 11th in strikeouts per 9 innings and 19th in batting average allowed. So, they're allowing more contact, but giving up a lot fewer hits. That normally doesn't happen. I'm sure there has been improvement in defensive positioning, but guys are also making plays.

1 hour ago, gurn67 said:

How much better is the defense?

Angels are 23rd is strikeouts per 9 innings. However, they're 1st in lowest batting average allowed. Last year, they were 11th in strikeouts per 9 innings and 19th in batting average allowed. So, they're allowing more contact, but giving up a lot fewer hits. That normally doesn't happen. I'm sure there has been improvement in defensive positioning, but guys are also making plays.

The defense has been night and day compared to last year.

Run prevention is key. And you're correct; the positioning has actually been normal and the guys are making plays. Outside of the catching position, the infield defense has been great. Not to mention Trout's improvements in center and Marsh being about as good as it gets out there. 

Edited by tdawg87

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

The defense has been night and day compared to last year.

Run prevention is key. And you're correct; the positioning has actually been normal and the guys are making plays. Outside of the catching position, the infield defense has been great. Not to mention Trout's improvements in center and Marsh being about as good as it gets out there. 

I think "run prevention" was the term that Minasian used repeatedly in his introductory press conference.  Playing great defense is a huge part of it.

Does anyone have any references to good fielding resources?  Obviously this team has passed the eye test, but it'd be cool if we could truly quantify how much of a difference it has made.