• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Juan Lagares to a minor league deal

6 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Okay, whose alt is this? Or is he a version of @Angels 1961 from a different dimension who started following the team two years later?

I have some theories. A prominent user recently posted in a similar style as Angels 1961. Also, Angels1961 went out of character a couple times last week and used actual grammar and logic.

edit: wait there’s an Angels 1963????

Edited by failos

3 minutes ago, failos said:

I have some theories. A prominent user recently posted in a similar style as Angels 1961. Also, Angels1961 went out of character a couple times last week and used actual grammar and logic.

edit: wait there’s an Angels 1963????

Which prominent poster? Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

15 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Clearly.

Still puzzled about the people in this thread thinking he's a good option.

I guess I'm puzzled with people who think there are a lot of other great options on May 9th....low cost minor league deal, as Lou said....and he wasn't bad last year....he wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either....comparable to Brian Goodwin...

Given this is a minor league deal, this is a "raise the floor" kind of move.  Lagares is a boring option and replacement level, but he is at least replacement level.  Too often, previous seasons have been undone because we have had to run out significantly below replacement level players at key positions.

We just promoted Whitefield to serve as the 4th OF.  The fact that we had to promote someone in AA to serve as our 4th OF tells us all we need to know in terms of our current OF depth.  We have 2 stars (Trout, Ward) and another really promising player (Marsh), but beyond those 3, our depth drops off quickly (given Adell is clearly not ready).

Signing Lagares helps provide a safety net, and nothing more.  If Whitefield bombs as a 4th OF, then Lagares can get promoted fairly quickly to help fill that role.  If we are hit with injuries and he starts playing regularly, then yes, that will be a bummer.

53 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I guess I'm puzzled with people who think there are a lot of other great options on May 9th....low cost minor league deal, as Lou said....and he wasn't bad last year....he wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either....comparable to Brian Goodwin...

Except he actually was bad last year. He was a negative value player.

I would sooner try someone from our minor league system that has some level of upside.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Given this is a minor league deal, this is a "raise the floor" kind of move.  Lagares is a boring option and replacement level, but he is at least replacement level.  Too often, previous seasons have been undone because we have had to run out significantly below replacement level players at key positions.

We just promoted Whitefield to serve as the 4th OF.  The fact that we had to promote someone in AA to serve as our 4th OF tells us all we need to know in terms of our current OF depth.  We have 2 stars (Trout, Ward) and another really promising player (Marsh), but beyond those 3, our depth drops off quickly (given Adell is clearly not ready).

Signing Lagares helps provide a safety net, and nothing more.  If Whitefield bombs as a 4th OF, then Lagares can get promoted fairly quickly to help fill that role.  If we are hit with injuries and he starts playing regularly, then yes, that will be a bummer.

Juan lagares over his last 250 games is worth negative 1 WAR. He's not replacement level, he's objectively below it. The very thing you said we should avoid.

Is this thread taking crazy pills or am I living in an alternate universe?

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Juan lagares over his last 250 games is worth negative 1 WAR. He's not replacement level, he's objectively below it. The very thing you said we should avoid.

The latter...he's not an impact player but he is a veteran with a decent track record.....Adell needs playing time at SLC and we don't have anybody else on the farm that has much of a track record as a major league OF'er....it's also May 9th, not July 9th when trading might be more active....

39 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

In 327 PA last year, he was rated at -0.3 fWAR.

Not great, but again this is a "raise the floor" kind of move.  He was signed to a minor league deal.  He is not currently on the roster. 

If he gets 300+ PAs again this year, then that means we had significant OF injuries and, thus, likely screwed anyway.

What he can do is play significantly more capable defense than Adell, which likely makes him a better backup at this time, should the need arise.

1 hour ago, AngelfanIndiana said:

Maybe the thought to bringing him in was depth and just maybe teach Adell some defense while both at at Salt Lake

i want to believe this so badly. but baseball players are weird, they don't seem to take much real instruction from inside the organization. i remember guys like dave roberts going to talk with maury wills about basestealing and tony gwynn's much covered conversations with ted williams. i used to get so frustrated with bourjous because he never learned how to be a good basestealer, with all that speed dude should have been stealing 40+ bags a year.

i love the idea of lagares being a player/coach for adell.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

i want to believe this so badly. but baseball players are weird, they don't seem to take much real instruction from inside the organization. i remember guys like dave roberts going to talk with maury wills about basestealing and tony gwynn's much covered conversations with ted williams. i used to get so frustrated with bourjous because he never learned how to be a good basestealer, with all that speed dude should have been stealing 40+ bags a year.

i love the idea of lagares being a player/coach for adell.

It also didn't help that Bourjous never got on base.

1 hour ago, happybat4 said:

It also didn't help that Bourjous never got on base.

no doubt, mlb is littered with the carcasses of players who thought "as is" was apparently good enough because it had been at lower levels.