• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44 billion

57 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I still think there’s some question as to whether this actually happens.  Musk has to come up with 21 billion of his own money and he’s taking a loan out that at least is partially collateralized with his tesla stock.  25 billion.   

My guess is he has investors that will loan him the money.  Probably the Saudi kind.  

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You've said this a lot, recently.

Who are you following? 

you'd probably be surprised to know that i follow more libertarians than conservatives. both groups post stuff from libs, and there's been a lot of anti-elon sentiments this week.

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The deal is with Chase Morgan Stanley.  One of twitters major investors is a Saudi royal who was opposed to Musk. 

Then he really only has to worry if Twitter starts hemorrhaging money and Tesla stock prices crater.  I don't see either really happening.  Although I can see that he can't make Twitter work the way he wants, and he eventually sells for less than what he bought it for like so many of these other tech companies.  But if that happens, he will just recoup that money from the government tax man as a loss against the $11 billion he paid them this year.  

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

you'd probably be surprised to know that i follow more libertarians than conservatives. both groups post stuff from libs, and there's been a lot of anti-elon sentiments this week.

Well I don't know who exactly is complaining. I don't use twitter so I couldn't care less. 

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Well I don't know who exactly is complaining. I don't use twitter so I couldn't care less. 

twitter is a very large and popular platform, with all kinds of people from all kinds of interests. there's been a significant amount of reaction leading up the purchase of twitter by musk, and subsequent reaction to the deal being announced on monday. the fact that musk spent $44 billion to buy it ought to tell you something about the size of this platform. it's not a small thing that has happened this week, even though you don't have a working knowledge about it.

there have been many people glad to see someone like musk make this deal. there are those who are pissed that he's been allowed to make this deal. there have been the requisite over-reactions like we saw with the election of trump ("if trump wins i'm moving to canada") sort of thing with musk buying twitter, with some loud complaints that this will effectively end free speech or at least allow those with socially poisonous thoughts to air them in the public square (anti-semitism, pedos, etc.). there are those who think this purchase is an assault on the constitution itself. many who oppose the purchase have said they're going to leave twitter because of it.

one of the more interesting things to come out of this has been the idea by his critics that this is going to destroy america by allowing free speech. i'm having a tough time wrapping my mind around this since free speech is one of the big foundational freedoms (the right to express yourself without fear of reprisal from the gov't) for the country. are the critics wanting all of us to hold the same opinions & thoughts, to stick to just one viewpoint? it seems there are many who feel this way. it's going to be fascinating to see how this unravels over the next several months - it looks like musk won't officially take over until some time in september. there are already tweeters saying that this will have huge consequences to us as a nation to let musk own such a big platform, forgetting that bezos owns the WAPO, and other billionaires have made major media purchases in recent years.

interesting times, young man. worth paying attention to what's going on.