• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Best part of the new deal/rules

Taylor

11 hours ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

• In order to discourage teams from tanking, there will now be a draft lottery for the top six picks in the amateur draft, which will now be 20 rounds.

I don't understand this one. Doesn't it increase the chance of tanking? If it is September 1 and your team is in the 7/8/9 spot aren't you tanking to have a chance at the #1 pick?

The team with the worst record is no longer guaranteed the first pick. Instead, the bottom six records will go into a lottery to determine the order of the picks.

In other words, even if you have the worst record, you only have a 1/6 chance of getting the top pick. 

In theory, a team could still "intentionally" shoot for the bottom six, but with your slot no longer guaranteed it will hopefully disincentivize tanking.

1 minute ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

Right, I get that. However, if you are 7/8/9 you get the 7/8/9 pick. If the 7/8/9 teams tank and drop to 5 or 6 they can get the top pick.

Yeah, I suppose if you're team 7 going into the final series, you could tank to ensure you make it into the top 6. Good point.

26 minutes ago, AlwaysAnAngelsFan said:

Right, I get that. However, if you are 7/8/9 you get the 7/8/9 pick. If the 7/8/9 teams tank and drop to 5 or 6 they can get the top pick.

Being 6 instead of 7 wouldn't increase your odds a whole lot. Not everyone in the bottom 6 has the same odds of getting the top picks. I guess you could still shoot for 6 if you're close, but the new system definitely deincentivizes being the worst team in the game.

I believe all the 18 teams are in the lottery, just like the NBA. Your chances just improve when you have a worse record. But it changes from proposal to proposal. So don’t know for sure 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Is it a weighted lottery like the NBA or does each team have the same odds at getting the top pick?

Draft lottery

• Top 6 selections will be awarded via lottery.

• Odds would be based on the reverse order of winning percentage, with the bottom three clubs each at 16.5%.

• The 18 non-postseason clubs would be eligible, though revenue sharing payees would be ineligible to receive lottery selections in three consecutive years, while non-payees would be ineligible to receive lottery selections in consecutive years.