• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The first MLB baseball game you ever attended?

T.G.

May 23, 1994... I was 13 years old

Doggies vs Cubs in Dodgers Stadium

Right field bleachers right next to Cubs bullpen

Spent most of the game heckling Cubs bullpen catcher Dan Simonds about him being my hero... Cubs bullpen was egging me on... by the fifth inning Simonds started negotiating with me to shut up... we cut a deal where I'd stop cheering for him for a ball... and then a Cubs pitcher (don't remember who it was) nixed the deal demanding that the ball be signed and that I wouldn't accept any other deal... Simonds then signed a ball and tossed it up to me and I stopped heckling... Dan Simonds and the whole Cubs bullpen were really cool people that night...

Doggies lost 6-3...

Dodgers pitcher Kevin Gross hit a three run homer in that game... also got to see Mark Grace, Ryan Sandberg, Sammy Sosa, Roger McDowell (from Seinfeld episode), Dan Plesac (from MLB Network), Mike Piazza, Eric Karros and former Angels great Raul Mondesi play in this game...

I remember the Cub fans in our section being funny when being heckled... by the end of the game I was cheering for the Cubs... and the Dodger fans in my section demanding that my brother make me walk home for being a traitor... it was a fun game, our section had nothing but playful clowns in it... don't think anybody cared for the game as much as just bantering and clowning around.

Mom passed away Sunday and so the family has been talking about many past experiences.   One that I remember was a Sunday Angels game.  Because Dad worked at the Cowboy's radio station he would often get tickets for the Sunday games.  One time in the late 60s, we were able to go up to the press box for a few innings.  Dad told us that cheering was not allowed in the press box so we needed to be quiet.  On the way home Mom told Dad that she was not interested is sitting in the press box in the future because she wanted to cheer for the Angels!  That was the first and last time.

Edited by Slegnaac

2 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Mom passed away Sunday and so the family has been talking about many past experiences.   One that I remember was a Sunday Angels game.  Because Dad worked at the Cowboy's radio station he would often get tickets for the Sunday games.  One time in the late 60s, we were able to go up to the press box for a few innings.  Dad told us that cheering was not allowed in the press box so we needed to be quiet.  On the way home Mom told Dad that she was not interested is sitting in the press box in the future because she wanted to cheer for the Angels!  That was the first and last time.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

7 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Sorry about your mom. 

16 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Condolences to you and your family.

2 hours ago, Slegnaac said:

My condolences, brother.

I don't remember exactly but I'm guessing my first game was in 1983, I was 6 at the time. Went with my Mom and Grandpa, who was a season ticket holder. Don't remember who they played or if they won, but I will never forget my first view of the field when coming from the concourse tunnel. The way the sun was hitting the green grass, the infield dirt, the bright white uni's, and just the enormity of the stadium itself is etched forever in my mind. 

Thanks for that memory, Gramps, RIP. 

Summer of '62. Our family had moved from New York a couple of years earlier, so we were former Yankee fans.

I was 11 years old. I remember it was a Sunday- my dad, older brother and brother-in-law decided at the last minute to go see the Yankees play the Angels back when the Angels played there. I was thrilled to go.

Elston Howard was the Yankee hero, hitting 2 HR's as the Yankees beat the as the Yankees won 6-2.

After the game we went and stood with a small crowd outside the exit that the Yankees would come out ofYogi coming out first, suddenly swamped by everyone, while walking pretty fast and laughing with a smile, and Whitey Ford squatting down next to him, looking up at him, saying in a loud high voice," Yogi, can I have your autograph, please, c'mon Yogi, please..."

I also remember I saw The Mick and many other Yankees come by.

Pretty awesome memory for a little kid like me at the time. 

I just know it was 1977.  We had just moved to CA (Yorba Linda) from South Carolina and I was 9.

We went to a couple games that year and then I was hooked and begged my parents to go everyday in 1978.

We moved to Encinitas in 1979 but my Mom would drive us the 64 miles each way to the Big A at least 20 times a year.

My first game was in 1962, it was a field trip with my cub scout group. The Dodgers were playing the Cardinals, on the mound was Bob Gibson vs Sandy Koufax. The Dodgers won on a HR from Tommy Davis with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth, off of  Gibson. Koufax went 9 innings and I saw Stan Musial get a couple of hits, so even though the Dodgers won it was a pretty great game. I saw my first Angel game a couple of weeks later at Dodger Stadium and I was hooked, and I do know I'm old as fuck.

1971 Angels vs Orioles with my uncle, I was 14….Angels won, Billy Cowan homered…..actually went to a Pirates game in the early 1960’s while we were visiting my Mom’s family in Pittsburgh….but I don’t remember the game….All I vaguely remember was my Dad getting a speeding ticket going to the game….

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

1971 Angels vs Orioles with my uncle, I was 14….Angels won, Billy Cowan homered…..actually went to a Pirates game in the early 1960’s while we were visiting my Mom’s family in Pittsburgh….but I don’t remember the game….All I vaguely remember was my Dad getting a speeding ticket going to the game….

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL197107160.shtml

1 hour ago, TroutCron said:

My first game was at the Polo grounds in 1961, Giants vs. Mets. The highlight was a homer by Willy Mays that hit off the facade of the roof in left center. The ball was still rising when it hit the facade. The Giants won the game 7-1. 

The Mets didn't come into existence until 1962.  The Giants and Mets played a 7-1 game in 1962, but Mays didn't homer in it.  They did play a 6-1 game in which Mays homered to LF, though.  Could this be the game you're talking about?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN196206030.shtml

On 1/9/2022 at 4:45 PM, daygloman said:

Milwaukee Brewers at California Angels, 1973, Little League day.

Brewers won, 1-0.

My whole baseball team was sitting in section (approx) 131, & I remember how mesmerized I was during warmups between innings, when the right fielder was playing catch with the center fielder.

How far they seemed to be able to throw effortlessly. 

I remember the concession stands had hand placed black & red lettering on a lit up board selling hot dogs, hamburgers etc. very generic. 

I remember the Angels pitcher was left handed, because of the pickoff move.

In Little League, we didn't use pickoffs yet, and lefty's in Little League were kind of uncommon. 

Every lefty always seemed to be an automatic first baseman back then.

I remember how HUGE the stadium seemed.

After the game, as we were in the parking lot, my father said to me: Someday, when this place gets built up, he said looking into the hills past the outfield, they'll rename this team "The Anaheim Angels".

He was 100% correct. It's a memory I'll take to my grave.

Looks like it was this game on June 9.  Rudy May (a lefty) started and the Angels lost 1-0 to the Brewers:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CAL/CAL197306090.shtml

On 1/13/2022 at 9:08 AM, Yellow Balloon said:

Rangers-Yankees at old Arlington Stadium, 1972.  I was 8.  All I remember about the game was Pete Broberg was the Texas starter.  And it was cap night.

Could have been this game:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX197204220.shtml

...or this one:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TEX/TEX197206290.shtml

On 1/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, Roy Hobbs said:

My first game was in 1962, it was a field trip with my cub scout group. The Dodgers were playing the Cardinals, on the mound was Bob Gibson vs Sandy Koufax. The Dodgers won on a HR from Tommy Davis with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth, off of  Gibson. Koufax went 9 innings and I saw Stan Musial get a couple of hits, so even though the Dodgers won it was a pretty great game. I saw my first Angel game a couple of weeks later at Dodger Stadium and I was hooked, and I do know I'm old as fuck.

Excellent memory all around!  Everything you remember checks out in this boxscore:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN196206180.shtml

On 1/11/2022 at 6:05 PM, joeybaseball said:

Summer of '62. Our family had moved from New York a couple of years earlier, so we were former Yankee fans.

I was 11 years old. I remember it was a Sunday- my dad, older brother and brother-in-law decided at the last minute to go see the Yankees play the Angels back when the Angels played there. I was thrilled to go.

Elston Howard was the Yankee hero, hitting 2 HR's as the Yankees beat the as the Yankees won 6-2.

After the game we went and stood with a small crowd outside the exit that the Yankees would come out ofYogi coming out first, suddenly swamped by everyone, while walking pretty fast and laughing with a smile, and Whitey Ford squatting down next to him, looking up at him, saying in a loud high voice," Yogi, can I have your autograph, please, c'mon Yogi, please..."

I also remember I saw The Mick and many other Yankees come by.

Pretty awesome memory for a little kid like me at the time. 

Looks like the score was 6-3, but otherwise spot-on memory!  🙂

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAA/LAA196206030.shtml

• 3 weeks later...